al Pastor

kendall

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been trying to try new dishes at restaurants so at our favorite Mexican place I tried something new.

Quesadilla al Pastor, it had real marinated pork, onions, pineapple,
but it had a flavor that was new to me. It was excellent. chunks of spicy
pork, good caramelized onions large chunks of pineapple, queso cheese.

But what makes it al Pastor? The waitress told me it was a old family recipe,
and when I asked what was in it she said if she told me she would have to kill me!! Any ideas what kind of spice was in this? I have to make it at home!!!!!!

My initial guess would be that they use cumin in the recipe, it has a very distinct flavour.

I googled and found this. Going to have to try this myself.

Hi Can this be done a Rotisserie?
Thanks Dan

Traditionally it would be done on a vertical rotisserie and shaved off when ordered. It's a localized version of shawarma. I'd be curious to see how it would turn out on a horizontal spinner. Hrm...

Second the achiote as probably being the unknown flavor.

My initial guess would be that they use cumin in the recipe, it has a very distinct flavour.

I googled and found this. Going to have to try this myself.

Mexican cuisine generally has a lot of Cumin in it along with Cilantro but, a lot depends on what part of Mexico the cook is from. Mexico is similar to Europe with varied cuisine depending on the local climate and resources.

Hispanic cooking in Europe isn't anything like I know from TexMex (Texas) or Tuscon Arizona. However, with a little effort, it's not that hard to make at home thou some of the ingredients might be a bit hard to source in Belgium.

Google Sonoran Hotdogs too! I bet they would be a hit at your next family get together. The toppings are pretty similar to some of the things I ate in Belgium. The soft bread with crust really made the mayo and other toppings with a bit a bacon grease come together. :icon_smile_tongue:

For something a little different, try a little Tomatillo (green sauce, aka Verde) with some nice roasted chicken and Mexican cheese with refried beans and rice. Mmm, Mmm good! :icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
I've been trying to try new dishes at restaurants so at our favorite Mexican place I tried something new.

Quesadilla al Pastor, it had real marinated pork, onions, pineapple,
but it had a flavor that was new to me. It was excellent. chunks of spicy
pork, good caramelized onions large chunks of pineapple, queso cheese.

But what makes it al Pastor? The waitress told me it was a old family recipe,
and when I asked what was in it she said if she told me she would have to kill me!! Any ideas what kind of spice was in this? I have to make it at home!!!!!!

I had a similar al pastor experience, but with tacos. Al pastor is done with spliced pork on a vertical spit. I believe it means something like shepherd style.

I’ve still never made it. You may want to check a local Mexican grocery. We have one here that sells marinated meat.

Traditionally it would be done on a vertical rotisserie and shaved off when ordered. It's a localized version of shawarma. I'd be curious to see how it would turn out on a horizontal spinner. Hrm...

Second the achiote as probably being the unknown flavor.

I've tried using a horizontal rotisserie for pastor tacos...it worked OK for a bit, but as soon as the meat began to tenderize I had problems with it falling apart. I think vertical is the way to go for sure. Next time I make them I'll just create a ring of charcoal briquettes in my kettle and cook the meat vertically in the center.

I’ve done al pastor with pieces of shoulder on a horizontal rotisserie. Didn’t have issues with it falling apart. Came out good...think I used the serious eats recipe as a starting point.

Back