Starting Design of Deck for Grilling - ?? on a Roof

LifeLongWNYer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am just starting to design a deck, to be adjacent to my house, which I plan to devote mostly to grilling and smoking. Since I am in western NY State, and the weather isn't good for 8 months of the year, I am thinking about putting a roof over it.

Roughly, the deck will be 13' 6" by 10', with the long side running parallel to the house. Opposite the house, on the "open" side and along the railing is where I would like to place the cookers. I want to put them about 1 foot away from the railing, and underneath the grills, etc., I am planning a row ( maybe 2 rows ) of 24"x24"x2" patio blocks. As they get stained, cracked, etc., I will be able to lift them out and replace them.

So, on to the roof.... I am thinking about having the roof extend a foot, or so, beyond the open side railing, so the grills/smokers will be "about" 2 feet toward the center of the deck from the edge of the roof. I want to pitch the roof so it is higher at that edge, than at the edge closer to the house, to allow the smoke to drift up, and out, when it hits the roof. I will run the trusses so that there is space at the outside ( higher ) edge of the roof, and the smoke can easily escape. The goal is to give me some "out of the rain" space to work when cooking, but not to trap the smoke.

So, has anyone ever fabricated something like this, and if so, what suggestions can you make? If anyone wants more details on how my plans are, so far, I can provide more detail, but wanted to get this posted, before it became too lengthy for everyone to read.

I'm a framing contractor show me your plans

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting the low point of your roof, to be connected to your house. Seems like you would be asking for water shed problems around your foundation. I'm sure you could do it, with proper guttering/drainage, but why not just put a exhaust fan in the roof? Even that probably isn't needed. I have a roof over my deck, and don't have any problem with smoke.

Ah Tom.... So far, they are only in my mind. Give me a couple of evenings, and I'll get something together in SketchUp. ( I should have know enough to start them already )

I was thinking about having the eave of the deck roof, overlap the house roof, by a small amount as the house is low at that point, and I want a little more height on the deck. There will be a gutter on the deck roof, so the water from the deck roof doesn't end up on the house.

I'll have a rough drawing in a few days.

Crap, are there instructions some where on how to post drawings, pictures, etc. on this forum? I've not done that yet.

What ever you build. The under side (roof/beams)will get/be stained dark from the smoke. If your bride wouldn't be happy with seeing that all the time. Build it somewhere else.
I've had mine for 10+ yrs? It is starting to look bad enough where I'm thinking of rebuilding. Larger of course.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting the low point of your roof, to be connected to your house. Seems like you would be asking for water shed problems around your foundation. I'm sure you could do it, with proper guttering/drainage, but why not just put a exhaust fan in the roof? Even that probably isn't needed. I have a roof over my deck, and don't have any problem with smoke.

This. And I would think exhaust fans unnecessary. Probably a couple of vent boxes like the one in an attic would be sufficient... And cheaper with no wiring involved.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you sure you want to build a wood structure for this? Are you sure you want it near or attached to your house? It is a code violation to have a smoker or grill on a wood deck even though people do it all the time.

This picture is from Sunday night in Henrietta NY. I believe the grill that started it was a gas grill, but anything with flame and grease is a risk.

Attachments

• 1B43A1D7-E524-4DD7-9F66-9CDBD7C2A07E.jpg
    1B43A1D7-E524-4DD7-9F66-9CDBD7C2A07E.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 337
I started a fire on a brand new deck with a kettle. I caught it before it got bad and the damage was minimal. Thank goodness we were awake when we caught it. I will never, ever, put any cooker on a wood deck anymore.

After that, all my cookers moved to a concrete pad I had poured and I had a roof put over it with an exhaust fan. If I have good breeze, I don't need the fan, but there have been times the fan was handy.

I'm excited to see this. I agree that I wouldn't slope this new roof down towards the house. Especially in Western NY

I would think with new construction a guy could put in some sort of ventilation/exhaust fans to combat the smoke. Seems like the time to do it!

We did this roof last year over a stamped concrete deck/outdoor kitchen. The fans keep the ceiling clear of smoke.

IMG_0751.jpg

Okay, I am back, but "relearning" SketchUp was turning into more of a project than I though ( OH, how quickly I forget software that I don't use every day ) so I'll attach a couple of pictures.

The picture showing the white wall, ( House East Wall, # 01 ) with the window, is the wall that will be the long side of the deck. It is 13' 6" from the end of an existing deck, which ends where you see the iron railing. The lower roof that you see, at the end of the wall, is a walkway into the cellar, the proposed deck will end where that starts, or where the downspout is.

The picture titled "NW Corner of Proposed Deck, Looking SE" was taken with my back along the house wall, looking away from it, towards where the deck railing would be, and which is also where the cookers would be situated.

So the deck will start where the railing is, and run south to the end of the house, or the downspout. I would like the roof of the deck to pitch up, from right to left, to channel the smoke away from the house. Although not in the immediate plans, I would like to put a counter and sink on the west side of the deck, adjacent to the wall of the house. Running water, a drain and electric will be simple.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I did not realize how bad there are until just now. Tomorrow, I'll go back up there and try again.

Oops, the pictures didn't arrive, I will try again.

Last edited:
I apologize for the delay, I finally got good pictures.

So, the layout of the proposed deck is: It will run alongside the house ( Pix House East Wall # 02 ) from the metal railing on the right side, to the end of the house, where the downspout is on the left. It will go from the house, to the steps & railing visible in pix "Viewing East, Showing NE Corner of Proposed". The other picture is looking directly along the length of the deck.

The length along the house is 13'6" and from the house to the steps is 10'.

@#$%, Still no pictures, I am SORRY guys, I need to get my kids to help, please stand by.

House%20East%20Wall%2002_zpsrabdxwcd.jpg.html
View%20looking%20N%20%20Proposed%20Loc_zps9ferb2bj.jpg.html
View%20looking%20N%20%20Proposed%20Loc_zps9ferb2bj.jpg.html

Last edited:
House%20East%20Wall%2001_zpsiuiuvxoa.jpg
House%20East%20Wall%2003_zps70xgut3m.jpg
[/IMG]
House%20East%20Wall%2003_zps70xgut3m.jpg
[/IMG]

View%20looking%20N%20%20Proposed%20Loc_zps9ferb2bj.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, I got one picture to appear. I (attempted to ) insert all the pictures in the same manner, but only one showed up. I am guessing the file size is too large. I'll try again.

JBP

Sketch it up and email it to a framing contractor, or just have one come out and take a look. As far as yer addition roof plane meeting the eave line of the house...I wouldn't.
-D

Back