MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John
Default Houston

I'm headed to Houston in late February on a business trip. I'll be staying downtown at the Marriott.

BBQ recommendations are welcome, as are any other recommendations.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
gtr

I have heard great things about Killen's, which is in Pearland. Not sure how close or far it is from Downtown, but it's supposed to be incredible.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have heard great things about Killen's, which is in Pearland. Not sure how close or far it is from Downtown, but it's supposed to be incredible.

Looks to be about 32 minutes (16 miles). Perfect!

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure of your time schedule, but here's the BBQ scene closest to downtown..

Pinkerton's, Gatlin's and Killen's are the "real" BBQ joints near downtown.

Pinkerton's is the closest (4 miles). Not too much of a traffic issue. Will have normal weekday rush hour stuff starting about 3 or so but it's not terribly far so it's the least headache of them all.

Killen's is more famous, but it's in Pearland which is a suburb on the outskirts of the city. It's 22 miles, not 16. The 16 is if you take Telephone Road (35) behind Hobby Airport . That street is a war zone and I would not recommend you get on it. You will have to take 288 or I-45 down to Sam Houston Toll Road. Then take the Sam Houston Toll (stay on side feeder road along side Sam Houston Toll Road which is called Beltway 8 to avoid tolls) to 35 and drop down into Pearland to Killen's.

Summary:

If you have a lot of time early during a weekday or will be around on a weekend with half a day to kill, I'd try Killens. If you are pinched for time I'd go Pinkerton's.

Just don't want you to think you are going to roll of downtown at 3:30 PM and make it to Killen's in 30 minutes on a weekday. You hit gridlock fast and will be in traffic for an hour.

Last edited by Rockinar; 12-18-2017 at 12:55 AM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

We, Pappa Charlies BBQ, were walking distance from the Marriott but I've closed that location and are preparing to move out into a to be named suburb.

Pinkertons is nearby, Gatlin's is in the same area. The Pit Room is in Montrose which is not far either. All made the TMBBQ Top 50 list. We were #51

Killeen's as mentioned is in Pearland. The Marriott is almost right next to I69 which basically splits into 288S real close to where you are. You would not have a hard time finding it.

As mentioned, if your not getting out of town by roughly 1530.. you'll be hitting rush hour in the 4th largest city. So, if you want to go there plan accordingly.

There are several nearby that are mediocre. Being in this industry and knowing the work that goes into it, I'll not name them. Except for the one closest to you.. Bud's Pitmaster BBQ. It's on the ground floor of the George R. Brown in prime real estate. I'll just leave it at that
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote