• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

anyone use claws or pork puller

smokeymeatsweats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm cooking 7 or 8 shoulders in a month and I wondered if anyone has used the bear claws or the pork puller(drill powered shredder)

If you like shredded pork with the fat remnants still in it, it does this great. Me, I find the results akin to ruining good pulled pork. The bear claw can be effective, but you'd want to remove the fat first, and to me tha's more time than just pulling it by hand.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and pull it by hand; I like to leave the pieces roughly the size of my thumb, give or take, so that they retain the moisture and flavors much better while I remove ALL of the fatty tissue that wasnt cooked off...

FYI: when I cook, I usually cook 6 - 12 9# butts...

I tried the bear claws one time but I like to get out my insulated gloves and go at them by hand better.

I've got a set of the metal bear claws that are the Big Green Egg brand. I like em a lot.

I slide the fat cap off and use the bear claws for the first step. Then I go by hand to make sure I get all the unwanted's out.

If I want to pull several butts and I'm short on time the Roman is the tool. Let them rest for 20 minutes them put that screaming hot butt in the pot and blast it as fine as you want. You still are serving hot and don't have fried hands.

I tried claws, I found them hard to use ( for me anyway), I saw the drill opperated tool, but didnt like the way the pork came out, I do a lot of butts every week, and 2 forks by hand is what works for me.

I used a pair of Kassa Meat Claws (got 'em from an "Amazing" online store) for my last butt. They die a really great job, even though I should have let the butt cook a while longer.

I use bear claws and my wife helps sift thru for fat. Doesn't take long for each butt.

I put on gloves and pull it by hand, takes me about an hour to pull 24 butts. I pull all the fat out and most important I get that lymph node out. That one little node about the size of the end of your thumb can ruin a whole butt. Just smash one and smell it, but be where you can throw up in a hurry. There is no magic alternative to hand pulling if you want the highest quality. We pull ours and then warm it on a flat top.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ

We use the bear claws & love em. While pulling you can pick out the chunks of fat, veins, little cartilage piece, and occasional fat tumor if ya missed it earlier.

It's a little more work then the drill attachment but worth it.

That would depend on how long it takes you to pull. If you plan on serving right after you pull it, toss the foiled pan in the oven to heat it back up.

We foil when we cook and pour the collected juices back into the pulled pork.

I have the brown plastic bear claws and love them. I like hand-pulling with some hot rubber gloves a bit more, but the claws are fast, easy to clean and really work well.

Back