Chicken Wings

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi all What is the best way to chicken wing parts on my WSM 22"..I have the CB Rotisserie-Rib-O-Lator?
Thanks DanB

I do them on the top rack, no pan, vents wide open. 23 minutes per side.

picture.php

Hi All So the best way to do the wings would be to grilled them on my WSM. Forgive me I didn't know the WSM could be used as a grill.. Just might go that way, put the wings in a basket so I just have to turn the basket, and not all the wings.
Thanks DanB

Higher heat works better on chicken, and especially wings, IMO. If your grate temp was at least 300* I think you'd be alright in a WSM, hence the recommendation for no water pan. Not a bad idea on the basket for ease of turning.

I do my wings indirect on a Weber kettle running at least 400*. The fat gets nice and rendered, kind of "frying" the wing, and making the skin crispy and meat underneath it delicious.

^^^^^^^
Yup, what George said. I followed his recipe with the exception of using pecan instead of oak and they were hands down the best I've ever made.

Want exciting? Rub the wings in HDD. Want them cooked right? Follow the post from uStomp.

Chicken gets higher temps to help the skin crisp up. I like to trim any extra fat and set them on a cooling rack over a sheet pan. I salt both sides of the chicken and put the pan in the fridge uncovered for at least an hour, overnight is better, that's called a dry brine.

When ready to cook, add your additional spices (be careful of any extra salt), smoke / grill indirect at around 350* or a little higher. Thighs and wings take up to an hour, but you want to go by temp on chicken, at least 165* internal for breasts, but I prefer around 180* for the dark meat to give the connective tissues a chance to break down.

I don't usually sauce them, as it can make the skin rubbery, but instead, serve any sauce on the side for those that want it.

Hi All
Right now the wings are sitting in 3 different marinades Tomorrow they will go into a basket then onto my Smoky Joe grill. I'm hoping I can tell which is which after they are cooked.
1 Italian Dressing
2 Teriyaki
3 Latin
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Load that thing up full of charcoal and try to get above 325. Leave water pan out.

If you have a weber kettle. Look into the vortex. You won't be disappointed. Wing cooking machine.

Load that thing up full of charcoal and try to get above 325. Leave water pan out.

If you have a weber kettle. Look into the vortex. You won't be disappointed. Wing cooking machine.

Hi They are going on my Weber Smoky Joe Grill with KBB, getting temps to 325 should be no problem. Vortex I already have too many toys for my grills and smokers.
Thanks DanB

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I balance the WSM on my chin during the cook. Exciting enough now? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the excitement comes from the smoke and rub (HDD is killer).

ETA: I use the method I listed because I didn't want to lose real-estate to get a cook done on my kettle with a vortex or SnS. I can fit close to 7lbs of wings on the 22.5 and do multiple batches if needed. No extra do-dads necessary.

Last edited:
I use the Vortex with my Weber Kettle and get perfect wings every time with no need to flip. Done in 35-40 minutes.

I never tried doing them on the WSM but I imagine you could just fill the lower section with lit coals and cook them on the middle rack or probably even the top rack.

Hi All Cooking very hot n fast. I had to put bricks under the basket to get some distance from the fire :blabla: Bottom line the wings could have much more cristy Italian dressing tasted the best.
DanB

Last edited:
Back