Super low and slow brisket question

Collagen breaks down below 180.

And to answer a question about my previous post...I'd want it to reach 200 because I'd be cooking above 200. Personal thing. Not needed, for sure...but I have no need to cook that long.

Ha....good one. Let me tell you my good man...there is ZERO chance I would smoke a brisket at that temp....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I've personally seen Dan in action and tasted his stuff .... you better be at the top of the game when you pull up beside him.... he ain't no joke....... and right beside him is his gorgeous wife!!!!!

the dynamics of cooking change at various temperatures. try it at 200-210 and treat it as if you're checking at any other temperature. it'll certainly take longer, but also you won't need to get it to the tender temp that you would cooking at 225.

It's common to cook a brisket via sous vide at 160 to 170 degrees. Note that unlike most smoking, the center of the brisket gets up to temp within a couple of hours and then is held there for many hours. It's "cooked" when it gets over about 140 degrees; it's tender when the connective tissue breaks down.
The main differences between sous vide and smoking (other than the smoke) is that hot air won't heat the brisket nearly as fast as hot water, and a brisket can't dry out as much in a vacuum sealed bag.
But the heat transfer rate only means it takes longer to get to temp. Once it's there it doesn't matter whether it is held in hot water or hot air.
If you wrap in foil, then it should retain moisture just like in a sous vide bag.
So if you are cooking at a really low temperature and if most of the time is spent denaturing the proteins, the only difference between cooking a little brisket vs. a big brisket is the time it takes to get up to temperature. Consider that...
I have no doubt it is possible. According to my projections the difference in time between 200 degrees and 175 degrees is huge. I expect it will take nearly 20 hours at 200 and almost 30 hours at 175. Sous vide briskets are commonly cooked for 24+ hrs.

old thread but for giggles I plan to try this at 180° with a full packer.

I have a suspicion that it will take forever with a packer and that the the meat will get probe tender before it exits the stall, which could be a good thing.

Let us know how it goes, I bet it takes at least 18 hours lol

I finish that low with good results. I wouldn't start that low, its more a function of timing. I start low to get smoke then raise temps up to render and sizzle some fat and then drop low for finish. If thats overnight its around 200. At those temps things dont move much

So it’s been almost a week and it’s still smoking? :heh:

I didn't say when I was going to start the test lol.

I finish that low with good results. I wouldn't start that low, its more a function of timing. I start low to get smoke then raise temps up to render and sizzle some fat and then drop low for finish. If thats overnight its around 200. At those temps things dont move much

Interesting. I usually start low and then raise the temps to 300 to get some added fat dripping on coals flavor.

Deleted, older post

@16adams

If you think abt it, rate of evaporation is related to temperature. Sooooo a lower temp should lose less moisture assuming the collagen renders sufficiently at those low temps.

With a stick burner cooking low and slow for 18-24 hours represents a lot of labor.

With some of the other methods it's set it and forget it so that's why I'm going to try it and see how it comes out

Thanks, my deletion was due to my response April 2017. Same response. Thought it sounded familiar. Didn’t figure it needed to be said twice. Smoke on Brethren:))

Im still learning this but my last one was done at 180. Probed tender and cut like butter after rest. If anything a few thinner parts of the flat were overdone.

Im still learning this but my last one was done at 180. Probed tender and cut like butter after rest. If anything a few thinner parts of the flat were overdone.

180??? you must have been cooking really low. i have no idea what temp my briskets were done when i was cooking at 225. i switched to hot and fast (well 275 seemed hot 10 years ago) and never checked temps then either. it wasn't until i met you farkers that i bought an instant read thermometer.:tsk:

test is under way. I am practicing with a pork butt first, just in case it doesnt turn out well.

its been cooking for 6 hours at 180°. pork came out of the freezer on monday and was still almost frozen in the middle. stayed at 29° for three solid hours before starting to climb.

Im a little concerned that it might not pass the 40-140 in 4 hours test.

will keep thread updated with results.

test is under way. I am practicing with a pork butt first, just in case it doesnt turn out well.

its been cooking for 6 hours at 180°. pork came out of the freezer on monday and was still almost frozen in the middle. stayed at 29° for three solid hours before starting to climb.

Im a little concerned that it might not pass the 40-140 in 4 hours test.

will keep thread updated with results.

40 - 140 in 4 really doesn't apply to intact pieces of meat like butts and brisket as the bacteria in question reside on the surface.

40 - 140 in 4 really doesn't apply to intact pieces of meat like butts and brisket as the bacteria in question reside on the surface.

great to hear as it took 6 hours to make that journey.

its been cooking 23 hours now and internal temp is only 153 but its almost probe tender. I think I'll keep it on another 3 or so hours.

Not exactly the same but did a flat at 165 for 24 hrs sous vide followed by brief sear for color. Was okay but not tender enough. Plan to go 36 hrs next time.

Back