Whole Vs trimmed.

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
If you buy a whole Tri tip in cryovac from a bulk store is it the roast and steak? The local store sell untrimmed Tri- tips and usually offer tri tip steaks or strips. The strips/steaks are @ $1.50 more a pound. Are they one in the same, just trimmed?

My OL gets the steaks when they are on sale, Marinates them and she cooks them on the gasser. I like to do the roasts Santa Maria style, I'm slow like that.

Brian

If you buy a whole Tri tip in cryovac from a bulk store is it the roast and steak? The local store sell untrimmed Tri- tips and usually offer tri tip steaks or strips. The strips/steaks are @ $1.50 more a pound. Are they one in the same, just trimmed?

Not sure I understand. However, I buy the roast and cut them up for steaks for catering and yes, I charge more for this process:biggrin:

The reason I ask is Albertsons had untrimmed Tri tips $2.99, traditional triangle shape. Smart&Final had "whole Tri Tips for $3.20, were in Cryopac and did not seem like traditional so figured had to cut. @nd question how?
Bash/butcher class?

I have not been impressed with Albertson's on sale tri-tips. The shrinkage and quality leave alot to be desired. The only bad tri-tips I have ever cooked came from Albertson's. I refuse to buy tri-tips from there now!

I had kinda the same problem today... I have never cooked a tri tip... (I still think it is a made up name to charge me more money) and Harris Teeter had them on sale. I'm thinking... the Brethren like em so...

So, I go by there today after church and all they have is these little strips. I am wanting a whole big ole hunk of meat. I ask the guy at the meat counter and he says that is all they have until Tuesday. I haven't decided whether I am going back or not.

Does your Albertsons have a meat counter/butcher? At my Albertsons they grill out front on weekends. I befriended them. I went there and told them pull some of the ones they cook. He went back with a smile and brought me a couple. Were real good. Went back last day of sale just before closing and had none. I said Iwanted a rain check as a joke and the girl i always see write me one, pushing my luck I said no I wanted 3 rain checks for 2 pieces each! Turned one in today, got 2 hand picked. one for the freezer and cooked one with ribs and will use it in salads and breakfast omlets.

Back