MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I think you pulled the brisket to early. 185* is usually a little low IMO. Did it probe like butter or still have resistence?

As far as your feeling about restaurant 'que, most is dissapointing...especially in your area.

Regarding comp quality 'que...have you done any contests yet to have a baseline to draw your opinion from?
I actually pulled it when the probe went in like butter. I didn't pay attention to the internal when I took it off.I hit 185 and I knew I was gonna be close and poked it later on. I thought I missed just a hair on juicy ness of the meat.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Where I tend to get hard on myself is when I try something and it doesn’t turn out the way I want the taste becomes secondary to me. I get good comments and empty plates but I focus on what I messed up or what I could do better.
Another thing I noticed is when I cook competition style – like a test at home – people fill up quickly because the BBQ is so rich. I notice that my daughter can put away almost a whole rack of ribs when I cook them plain with rub and sauce but when I throw the brown sugar, honey – wrap etc. she can only eat 3 or 4 bones before she gets full.
One last comment was from this weekend. We traveled to Memphis and got a chance to eat a Neely’s Interstate BBQ. It has a big following and the parking lot was full at 11:15 am. They had reviews posted on the wall and pictures of celebrities who ate there. People were scarfing it down and we ordered the sample platter to try everything. When it came I can’t tell you how it tasted because it was drowned in sauce. The sauce was good but I did not need a gallon and I could not tell you what the meat tasted like. When I looked over the restaurant every dish was like that. IMO when you use that much sauce you are hiding something.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I did a big cook two plus years ago for my daughter's engagement party. Did ribs, chicken, sausage & brisket for 50 guests in my backyard. IMO, brisket was fair, ribs pretty good, sausage was sausage, and chicken was a bit over done from holding on the corner of the pit. Everybody raved about the brisket and ribs, my future in-laws declared me the world's greatest BBQ chef, and there were no leftovers except the half rack of ribs I saved for lunch the next day. I guess we are our own severest critic so we just have to keep working to improve in our own eyes and be happy others enjoy our efforts.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Saw an elderly lady camped out at one of the vendor stands at Sam's one day. I actually heard her say, "if it's free take three".

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I agree with everyone who said that we are our own worst critic. I don't think I have ever enjoyed what I cook nearly as much as the people eating it. That said, there is one trick I learned from the brethren that has helped me enjoy my BBQ more though...

After your cook and before eating, take a shower, wash your hair, brush your teeth and tongue, use a neti pot, and change into some clean clothes. Probably one of the reasons your BBQ doesn't taste as good to you as it does to others (other than being perfectionists and very self-critical) is that you have been surrounded by smoke for so long that you cannot taste it! Since I have started making it a ritual to do these things, I find that I am enjoying my own Q more than I used to (although I am still pretty critical).

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
aawa
Babbling Farker

When backyard cooking it is much different than competition cooking. Friends that don't get Q are excited to get it from friends. And more times than not (unless you hockey puck meat or serve raw meat) your friends will enjoy it, while you see the things you could of done better.

In the Hampton Roads Area, there are only a couple of BBQ Joints that I would even consider eating at. On the Southside of Hampton Roads I would go to Smoke from Above. The pulled pork is a little bit wetter than I like, but the ribs and sausage are good. Whitners is also a place where I would go, the burnt ends, smoked turkey, and ribs are good as well. I have tried WoodChicks (LeAnn Whippins restaurant) and was very unimpressed. The BBQ there was pretty much bland and seemed over cooked the 4 times I have tried it.

In Newport News/Yorktown area of Hampton Roads I have heard good things about Smoke and County Grill & Smokehouse.

This area is lacking in superb bbq joints, which is the reason why I got into Qing last year. My first few tries I would have the same friends come over and ask their honest opinions on the pulled pork and ribs, and which ones they thought came out the best. There were times when I thought I overcooked the meat and times I thought I undercooked it, but no matter what my friends enjoyed the homemade bbq and got rave reviews each time.

On Saturday, I did my first full packer. I thought the flat had probed like butter when I finally pulled it. After letting rest for an hour, i came back to slice it, and the flavors were good for the brisket. The point was awesome, but the flat was a little bit tougher than I wanted (probably could of used another 30mins to an hour on the cooker) My friends loved it and demolished it. I know I could improve my brisket, but the friends that don't get to brisket very often were very pleased with the outcome. None used sauce on the meat even though I had some on the side.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Hey in my opening post for some reason I wrote competition quality Q. I meant to say just really good quality. I'm not a competition barbecuer. Don't think I'll ever try it either. (maybe)
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Ya gotta remember when ya q a brisket ya at the pit for hours with smoke in your face. Ya just can't appreciate the Smokey flavor unless ya shower and change ya clothes- and that only helps a little.
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-rich View Post
Ya gotta remember when ya q a brisket ya at the pit for hours with smoke in your face. Ya just can't appreciate the Smokey flavor unless ya shower and change ya clothes- and that only helps a little.
As I wrote above, using a neti pot (with distilled water -- don't want any brain-eating amoebae) and brushing your teeth & tongue helps quite a bit too (in addition to showering, paying special attention to washing your hair and changing clothes).

Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
BobM
Babbling Farker

I agree with CD. If my family and freinds like it, and I enjoyed cooking it, it's good.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 01-29-2013 at 10:58 AM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe your friends just didn't want to hurt your feelings.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
Maybe your friends just didn't want to hurt your feelings.
While I don't doubt that his friends wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, I doubt that is why he enjoyed the BBQ a lot less than they did. My best friend does a lot of BBQ too and whenever he cooks, I seem to enjoy whatever he cooks more than he does, just like whenever I cook, he enjoys it more than me. And we aren't just being nice to one another.

I think that a combination of being a perfectionist about one's own cooking as well as being surrounded by smoke during the cook is what makes us enjoy our own BBQ less than others do, even among people who know good BBQ. Another factor, depending on how long the cook was and how sleep deprived you may be, is that you might just be too tired to fully enjoy what you've cooked. One of the things I have noticed is that I tend to like my own BBQ more the day after it is cooked, even though I know it isn't as good. By then, I am fully rested, have gotten more of the smell of smoke out of myself and my clothes, and haven't been obsessed with tending to a large hunk of meat for many hours (and I've probably had fewer beers in my system too).

Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

I think that unless you cook 'que regularly, BBQ is a destination food for a majority of non-BBQ cooks. They don't eat it that often, and as said above, unless you serve hockey pucks or raw meat, most people will think it is terrific.

We are our own worst critics, especially when our cooks aren't perfect every time. Perfection is very subjective, and I believe that if people scarf down my 'que like it's their last meal on earth, I try to take satisfaction in their enjoyment of what I have cooked. Dwelling on the details only serves as a learning experience to be applied in future cooks.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
When backyard cooking it is much different than competition cooking. Friends that don't get Q are excited to get it from friends. And more times than not (unless you hockey puck meat or serve raw meat) your friends will enjoy it, while you see the things you could of done better.

In the Hampton Roads Area, there are only a couple of BBQ Joints that I would even consider eating at. On the Southside of Hampton Roads I would go to Smoke from Above. The pulled pork is a little bit wetter than I like, but the ribs and sausage are good. Whitners is also a place where I would go, the burnt ends, smoked turkey, and ribs are good as well. I have tried WoodChicks (LeAnn Whippins restaurant) and was very unimpressed. The BBQ there was pretty much bland and seemed over cooked the 4 times I have tried it.

In Newport News/Yorktown area of Hampton Roads I have heard good things about Smoke and County Grill & Smokehouse.

This area is lacking in superb bbq joints,
which is the reason why I got into Qing last year. My first few tries I would have the same friends come over and ask their honest opinions on the pulled pork and ribs, and which ones they thought came out the best. There were times when I thought I overcooked the meat and times I thought I undercooked it, but no matter what my friends enjoyed the homemade bbq and got rave reviews each time.

On Saturday, I did my first full packer. I thought the flat had probed like butter when I finally pulled it. After letting rest for an hour, i came back to slice it, and the flavors were good for the brisket. The point was awesome, but the flat was a little bit tougher than I wanted (probably could of used another 30mins to an hour on the cooker) My friends loved it and demolished it. I know I could improve my brisket, but the friends that don't get to brisket very often were very pleased with the outcome. None used sauce on the meat even though I had some on the side.
All these years and nothing has changed

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
Midnight Smoke

I find that after an all night'r or other long cook I really enjoy more if my family and guests like the cook. After cooking that long I find myself not very hungry and when I'm not hungry nothing tastes so good.

To me it is like Hotdogs at a ballgame, they always taste better when someone else cooks them.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote