Building a Pizza oven & a smoker

I have a design that can do both. The basic core of it is what I use for my smoker, and I occasionally build small temporary earthen ovens in place of the smoker. I use it in an unfinished state, but it could certainly be used as the "engine" inside a masonry built unit that could be used as both oven or smoker, with excellent temperature control. As well, the heat you don't use to cook can be shunted into heated seating if desired. It's a bit detailed to explain here, but if you are interested I'd be happy to walk you through the design. I'm not selling anything, btw.

Thanks Matt, do you have pictures?

My pizza oven works great as an oven. My smoker works great as a smoker. They are different, and have different goals. Sometimes when you combine functions into one unit, you get something that is not really as good as it should be at either task.

Build a pizza oven, then build a smoker. Two is better than one.

I agree, that is why im asking here. However on the other hand i want to save money and not over do things if i dont have to. I think ive decided to do the pizza oven and a large grill with a offset smoker box, all made out of fire brick, the smoker box will be enclosed inside the grill, but will be offset and lower to the ground.

My pizza oven works great as an oven. My smoker works great as a smoker. They are different, and have different goals. Sometimes when you combine functions into one unit, you get something that is not really as good as it should be at either task.

Build a pizza oven, then build a smoker. Two is better than one.

This build may change your mind:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Thats cool. Have more info on it?

Did someone say pizza smoker?
157.jpg

I've used my pizza oven in the past for smoking (from a cold oven) but in the end a dedicated smoker is so much easier to use and much more efficient.
But it's also something to consider after using the oven for its intended purpose, all that residual heat from the oven can last for a couple of days, which is perfect for slow roasting without burning any additional fuel.

P1050794.jpg

P1050178-1.jpg

Doing wings while bringing oven to temp for pizza
P1050504.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome stuff there. I plan on building a bricks pit/grill also so i can smoke in that also. I realize using a pizza oven everytime to smoke makes no sense but like you said if its fires up might as well use it. I see youre in los angeles also, mind telling me where you got your insulation board and blanket from?

Awesome stuff there. I plan on building a bricks pit/grill also so i can smoke in that also. I realize using a pizza oven everytime to smoke makes no sense but like you said if its fires up might as well use it. I see youre in los angeles also, mind telling me where you got your insulation board and blanket from?

I got my board and blanket from these guys in North Hollywood:

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/c/56/high-temperature-products

Place your order on-line and you can pick up the items there from their warehouse.

Here's my complete build thread at Forno Bravo from a couple of years ago:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/my-3-legged-dome-12677.html

Last edited:
Awesome, same place i was planning on getting it from, did you get the 1" thick or 2" thick, being is Sunny Socal its pretty warm out. What you think.

Ahh yes ive seen your build. Good stuff.

I actually got the 3" board (overkill) they had at the time. You should be fine with the 2".
Good luck on your build!

Back