Your ideas on buying a used smoker

Jaxx

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brethren,

Names jaxx, I am a new user to the site, but I have explored quite often. Like many of you, I'm no stranger to the art of grilling and smoking. This thread I've started is to get your (seasoned) input on a mobile smoker I'm looking to purchase in a few days. It's a few years old and is a used unit. I will post pics of it later today, since I can't use the ones on my phone. But i would juts like to get your opinions on buying one of these used.

Thanks in advance guys!

Yeah need to know what it is to be more helpful. I mean in general as long as there isn't something obviously wrong with it like massive amounts of rust that has now led to holes in it a used smoker is just a new smoker, but more dirty :p.

Best food I ever had was cooked by an elder African American man near the campus of Louisiana College. A well seasoned double circle co-op can with an expanded metal grate and bailing wire hinge. The man could cook chicken that would make you skip chapel.

Maybe you could give more details??

Oh-and if it is burnt orange- nope, no bueno

Thanks for the quick responses ! I'm not sure of the material used to make it just yet, the guy I'm buying it from says him and his father built it some years ago. It's got a stick burner (smoker) on the rear, a charcoal grill on the side and a set of burners for cooking sides. I'll have some photos up later to tonight. Only saw one major rust spot on the charcoal grill, other than that it looks to be in good condition.

Alright guys, finally made it home. Here are the pics I was talking about! Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Jaxx

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I'm going to check it out in person today, so I'll post more pics and get the measurements and what not.

Am I missing something I don't see an intake looks like a gas fired pig cooker to me.

So here are some more pics fellas. I got the unit for $300 so I'm not complaining. It will need some work as you can see, but my cousin is a welder so I think all will be well regarding that. The second and third pics are of the larger grill on the rear, it doesn't have an offset box like I thought but that's okay. And the third and fourth are of the smaller charcoal burner which will be replaced with a new UDS. The frame of the trailer is rust free so that which is most important is in good shape. Thanks for checking it out, let me know what you all think!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 111
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 110
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 108
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 109
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 107
I'm not sure why they aren't showing up, not doing anything different form the other uploads.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 60
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 59
Well still no pics :cry: . So I'll just list the dimensions, the entire thing is sitting on a 16' boat trailer, the very rear smoker is 3' wide and 3' deep.
The smaller one is about 5'' over 2' wide and 2' deep.
Its got four burners for cooking sides, plan to fry fish and cook rice with it. The storage area is a good size, 3' wide and 2' deep, good enough for wood or coolers, but I would like to drop a sink in the area instead so that I can cook at events and be within the guide lines of health department.
Its got everything already connected just needs to be revamped and I'll be ready to cook on it!

Back