MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Definitely got storage space! Trying to figure out what items will have the most utility value (sink, stereo, grill, etc)
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Side note about welding metals of differing thickness. One thing you can do is to try to keep most of the heat and weld on the thicker metal and tack it over (sew it in) onto the thinner metal... OR, what I usually do, is to set the machine for maximum penetration on the thinner metal that I can without burn through, and then just weld it like I normally would any seam. Theory there is your weld connection is only going to be as strong as your lightest material used, so if you are welding 1/8 to 3/8 and it is going to break, the 1/8 will give way before your weld OR the 3/8 will anyway... Hope I'm not being too confusing.

In simple terms it all goes back to a chain only being as strong as its weakest link. No matter what kind of filler you are using or what the tensile strength is, the union will only hold what the base metal is capable of.

BTW, your project looks great! Keep us posted on progress

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking great so far! Keep it comin!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to see what it will look like!

What did you mean by increasing the bracing between the tank and the tubing? A vertical increase? We calculated the heighth of the 2x4 supports in relation to the box/chamber opening. The firebox is recessed 4in below the flooring with the 2x4 supports. I'll tell you what the plan is so far. We are of course going to weld the tank to the 2x4 piping (there are two of these supports). We are also going to take a heavy-duty 5 1/2in bolt and fasten it to the frame inside of each tube. Our grease trap will also be fed through the 2x4 piping to keep it hidden. We are going to be building closed storage space up about 14-16in high (this will be butted up against the back of the chamber and on the smoke stack end). The chamber shouldn't move, roll, or otherwise. What are your thoughts?

Also, we have two axels on the trailer..it's just hard to tell because we only have 2 wheels on it right now. We'll be getting the wheels as soon as we need them (who knows when that will be). If anyone knows where to getem' cheap, let me know!Thought about electric breaks, but we don't think we'll really need them.
Sounds like you will have it braced. It looked like from the inital pictures that the tank was just going to be sitting on the two pieces of 2x4 piping and I assumed it would be welded. Would have been concerned that with the weight of the tank it might just twist it's self off there. With the firebox at the back it should be fine I would think.

I picked up my rims at a swap meet but craigs list and ebay are always nice. If your state requires brakes you might want to check. You may need at least brakes on one axle. MN requires brakes on all trailers that are rated at 3500lbs or more. Nothing like getting pulled over by the state troopers and having them right you for equipment violations. I picked mine up at northerntool online in the clearance section since they are in the process of switching suppliers. Was cheaper than doing electric drum brakes including the hose kit and master cylinder.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Sounds like you will have it braced. It looked like from the inital pictures that the tank was just going to be sitting on the two pieces of 2x4 piping and I assumed it would be welded. Would have been concerned that with the weight of the tank it might just twist it's self off there. With the firebox at the back it should be fine I would think.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it'll be moving anytime soon. The fb, back support from the storage, and the resting supports will be more than enough. It's going to be welded and bolted in a few places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
I picked up my rims at a swap meet but craigs list and ebay are always nice. If your state requires brakes you might want to check. You may need at least brakes on one axle. MN requires brakes on all trailers that are rated at 3500lbs or more. Nothing like getting pulled over by the state troopers and having them right you for equipment violations. I picked mine up at northerntool online in the clearance section since they are in the process of switching suppliers. Was cheaper than doing electric drum brakes including the hose kit and master cylinder.
I try to check CL as often as possible. Swap meets should start picking up in a month or two. I may check NT online and see what I can find. I'll also check my state regulations out of curiousity. It'd be good to know! Thanks again.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That is lookin fine
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #37
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
I try to check CL as often as possible. Swap meets should start picking up in a month or two. I may check NT online and see what I can find. I'll also check my state regulations out of curiousity. It'd be good to know! Thanks again.

No problem. great build. Keep it going with more pics so we can keep up. I wish i had as much room as you have. I couldn't find an old bass boat trailer which is what I was looking for originally too. Nice find! Sounds like the price was right too!!

I checked your state regs and they indicate that you don't have to have additional brakes although given the weight you may end up with i think it would be a good idea.

I think I went a little overboard on mine but what the heck. You gotta have some fun along the way too.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Not to be a party pooper but... I have some serious concerns about the structural stability of what you are building. You have been using an 80-90 amp 110V MIG welder. On 3/16" steel, Miller's welding calculator calls for 160-170 amps and 1/4" calls for 180-190 amps. 110V MIG's are notorious for giving welds with little to no penetration. In my opinon, 110V MIG's are not good for anything over sheet metal. Couple that with the dynamics stresses of a trailer going down the highway, and you have a recipe for disaster. I strongly urge you to consider letting a professional do the welding with the proper equipment so that no one gets hurt. Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but it needs to be said.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #39
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like the stick burner is doing a much better job of handling the work. Also it seems you have lots of deck space for add-ons. I've really enjoyed the progress so far and can't wait for the next installment.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Not to be a party pooper but... I have some serious concerns about the structural stability of what you are building. You have been using an 80-90 amp 110V MIG welder. On 3/16" steel, Miller's welding calculator calls for 160-170 amps and 1/4" calls for 180-190 amps. 110V MIG's are notorious for giving welds with little to no penetration. In my opinon, 110V MIG's are not good for anything over sheet metal. Couple that with the dynamics stresses of a trailer going down the highway, and you have a recipe for disaster. I strongly urge you to consider letting a professional do the welding with the proper equipment so that no one gets hurt. Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but it needs to be said.
Thank you for the concern. As mojo pointed out, we shelved the MIG and got an arc welder. It's doing fine and all of the welds are solid. We'll be taking everything back down most likely to hit the frame with some por15. Once we finish that, we'll secure the chamber. We also got the firebox in, so we'll likely work on that a bit also..it's huge..the outer layer is 31" and inner is 26.. I'll definitely keep everyone up to date. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Thanks TRIPLE-T for checking those state regs! Very much appreciated!

Last edited by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ; 03-01-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #41
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Today was one of those days when you wanted to get a lot more done than you actually did.. Don't get me wrong; we made some progress, but the elements didn't help (if only we lived in Jamaica!).. Anyways, I didn't want to leave you guys with absolutely NOTHING, so I took a few pics of what little we did get done.

We cut the tongue down to size...it was just way too long. We took approximately 3ft off so the overall length is at about 18ft now.

De-greased the frame and hit it with some POR15...The wind was ferocious so we paused on that temporarily.

Got the inner box welded on all sides. The end that will be attached to the cooking chamber is face-down on the ground. As you can see, there isn't a 2in gap there like the rest of the box...saved about 40ish dollars and that side of the box honestly doesn't need to be double insulated. We'll add a small section of angle iron at the corners (on the sides) for extra support and to keep the walls spread so we can fit the other piece on with ease .

This is another shot of the firebox just so you can get a feel for its over all size. If we wanted to, we could actually ball ourselves up inside (not at the same time of course).

This is a shot for those who are concerned about the stability of the project ...just a sample of the weld..the good seams were on the bottom, but the arc welder is providing excellent penetration. The breaker switch would flip every 3-4 inches so there was a lot of stoppin' and goin'.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Im loving this build. Thats a good looking weld
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Last weekend didn't leave much to share, so I thought I'd add a few bits from today to hold you over until this weekend. While I was home, the old mane took to the firebox some more.

This is just a shot of the firebox where the door will be...pretty obvious, I know...

This is a shot of the firebox - chamber opening.. you can kinda guess where we got the plans for the build . The flap isn't bent out enough yet..we'll have to heat it up to get it down another 15 degrees or so..

The last shot is the aftermath of my dad catchin' his self on fire while cutting the openings..

Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #44
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

If you're tripping a breaker that often...some thing is very wrong!

Nice build though...looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
If you're tripping a breaker that often...some thing is very wrong!

Nice build though...looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!
Haha! You're right! The outlet is wired with like 14-16ga wire. The small wire is just heating up too fast . It gets annoying for sure!

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build