• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri-Tip Santa Maria style in the BGE w/pron

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just really love tri-tip santa maria style w/red oak coals so I attempted it tonight in my large BGE. I figured red oak(lots) on top of lump and I should be ok if I don't crisp out the tri-tip.

I used Santa Maria rub and put it on a hot (500 deg) grill for a quick sear on each side, then dropped the temp down to 350 for an hour. I pulled it when it was 140 (too late, hey I was watching basketball!) and tented it for 20 minutes.

Bottom line. Too smokey, because I had to suffocate the fire due to the short distance from the coals to the meat. I really want a real Santa Maria rig.....

However, that said, the meat was really moist and tender. Even my wife liked it. Whew! I will live another day. Sorry the picture on the grill is out of focus..

The plate is the leftovers.......just me and the wife now!

Attachments

• Left overs.jpg
    Left overs.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 201
  • On the grill small.jpg
    On the grill small.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 203
That sure looks good to me. One of the things I have done with my kettle is build the fire unevenly to get a hot and cool side to the grate. I am not sure it can be done on a BGE.

Yeah, I tried really hard to separate the sides, but it is kinda tough to do. Maybe on an XL. Maybe I could make a little thingy to pull the grill up and down.....

So that's what I smell outside!

It looks good Marty but sounds like you might have got a little bad smoke there.

Here's a post from BGE Tri-Tip that JD McGee cooked that I've found helpful with my BGE tri-tip cooks.

Yeah, I tried really hard to separate the sides, but it is kinda tough to do. Maybe on an XL. Maybe I could make a little thingy to pull the grill up and down.....

If you'd like to be able to put a little more distance between the lump and your grill and still cook direct, maybe you should check out the adjustable rig.

OK, Marty dropped off a few slices of his tri-tip for me to try.

Marty- it's no good. If you bring the rest over to me I'll properly dispose of it. :becky:

Seriously, it's quite tasty! Not too smokey for my pallet. Nice job!

I finally found some Tri Tips at the local Restaurant Depot today! I could not resist rubbing a few up and tossing them on the pellet pooper. First time for me and can't wait to try them out. We usually don't get this cut of beef here in Flatlander country.

HPIM2712.jpg

HPIM2709.jpg

HPIM2708.jpg

I finally found some Tri Tips at the local Restaurant Depot today! I could not resist rubbing a few up and tossing them on the pellet pooper. First time for me and can't wait to try them out. We usually don't get this cut of beef here in Flatlander country.

HPIM2712.jpg

HPIM2709.jpg

HPIM2708.jpg
Well, we love 'em out here.!

santa maria bbq outfitters thats where I got mine
That's who I got my little Santa Maria pit from several years ago. Imagine my surprise when, while visiting SLO on a weekend getaway, we stopped at the Santa Maria Costco and saw them for sale.:shocked:

Didn't have room in the car that trip, but made sure we had enough room in the the vehicle the next trip (even if it was strapped on to the back of the truck :redface: - glad the Chippies looked the other way - it wouldn't fit any other way)

It really does impart a different/unique flavor to your Tri-tip.

Yeah been thinking of getting SM grill for the backyard. I got a 5 footer on the rig.

Nice tri-tip, Marty and give me a ring (# on website) when you head down.

Back