**Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my Drums**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had seen a member playing around with the Vortex Firebasket from Hunsaker Smokers in a Performer and 22" WSM, and decided to give them a try in my BPS Drum, 55 & 85 Gallon Big Drum Smoker clones.

Here is the link that describes how it works:

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-fire-basket

My first cook was in my BPS REDRUM, 6lb chicken cut "Leaping Frog" style and used only a Weber chimney full if KBB and let it rip.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0694_1.jpg

IMG_0697_1.jpg

IMG_0700_1.jpg

IMG_0702_1.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

**Vortex Firebasket cooks #2 BPS vs BDS**

Next day myself and Sno/King Meat Cartel member and Phil Wingo stand-in Rub Runner fire up the BPS and Big Drum Smoker clone for a little chicken and babyback action!

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

I shook out the ashes from the previous nights yardbird cook and added a few new briqs and fired it off in the BDS for thighs.

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

No burning!
IMG_1435.jpg

Babybacks on the BPS

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Love the Drums, diggin' the Vortex basket!

85 Gallon Big Drum Smoker clone with the Hunsaker Vortex basket

I haven't had a cook like this with the expanded metal basket I've been using on the 85. 26" cook grate, I cut out 4 "Leaping Frog" whole birds and let it rip with the Vortex firebasket. It took 8 minutes to get to temp! KBB with Pecan Mojobricks!

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Rib-O-Lator Bob approves this message!

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

puffin' away!

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

All I can say is that I am very pleased with the results I've gotten so far with the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my Drums.

I'll be honest, I've not been a heat deflector user and was at first skeptical, but this thing really gets the job done and I still get that "fat drippin' on the coals flavor" of cooking direct that I really enjoy.

More to come - this has changed the way I drum!

I am guessing that the heat rising causes the vortex to rotate which causes it to cook like a convection oven?

Either way, great looking chicken.

Having a hard time imagining enough airflow to produce a "vortex" at low temps in a WSM/drum type cooker. Looks cool though.

I am guessing that the heat rising causes the vortex to rotate which causes it to cook like a convection oven?

Either way, great looking chicken.

No the Vortex vanes do not rotate.

Here is the description of how it works from the Hunsaker Smokers website:

Fits in a metal 55 gallon barrel. The vortex fire basket helps reduce hot spots which is needed to ensure consistent results.

Question: How does the vortex basket work?

Answer: Air is forced upwards from the center air intake (controlled by the foot operated air intake lever) into the hot charcoal. The hot air is then forced through the vortex plate at the correct angles causing the air inside the smoker to spin. The spinning air helps maintain a consistent temperature throughout the smoker. The vortex plate also acts as a heat deflector which helps reduce burned meat.

mmmmm.....this gives me ideas.....at work in the shop is a 22" round disc of 1/8" mild steel.......

thanks for sharing the photos.....I just started my UDS build. Getting all excited :)

Having a hard time imagining enough airflow to produce a "vortex" at low temps in a WSM/drum type cooker. Looks cool though.

OK- Lets say we get past the "vortex effect" and look at it as a fire basket with a fancy heat deflector?

Then we put it in a WSM without a waterpan?

Next on my agenda!

Almost a year old post but I am hoping Swamprb see this. My concern is that the small width of the vortex would not direct the heat to the outside parameters of the cooking grate on the bigger 85 gallon drum but instead focus most of the heat to the center. I have a Jumbo BDS (85 gallons) and the existing charcoal basket is much wider then the vortex. Do you mind sharing your experience in this matter?

i wassure hopen TheMidnightSmoker question above on will work in bigger smoker was answered thanks

I have the Hunsaker Vortex plate that sits on the fire ring of my WSM ...AMAZING ADDITION. No more water pans, and it creates even temps throughout the entire smoker. I've been hanging ribs with great results. In fact, I've been using in comps and getting Top 10 consistently.

I also have the plate for my WSM. Don't know if the air spins but I get great results.

Has anyone used the WSM Plate in a Cajun Bandit conversion kit?

I am hoping to get ahold of an 85 myself, and build a Hunsaker Clone!!! I have one of their 55 gallon cans already but I really want to build my own next!!! Looking good man!

I had seen a member playing around with the Vortex Firebasket from Hunsaker Smokers in a Performer and 22" WSM, and decided to give them a try in my BPS Drum, 55 & 85 Gallon Big Drum Smoker clones.

Here is the link that describes how it works:

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-fire-basket

My first cook was in my BPS REDRUM, 6lb chicken cut "Leaping Frog" style and used only a Weber chimney full if KBB and let it rip.

IMG_0702_1.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

How do you trim your chicken to separate the dark/white meat like that?

On the cajun bandit conversion kit with the ss 22 wsm charcoal ring, the plate is almost the same size as the ring. If you put two rods over the charcoal ring the plate should sit without issue. I'm going to try it out myself over the weekend.

Back