MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Its like will driving a Ferrari over a Prius make you a better driver, not necessarily but its a lot more fun to have the Ferrari.

Watch top gear about that.

How often can you open up your Ferrari vs giving the Prius all it has.

On topic: I've looked at GMG but the augur noise they make just sounds so bad. There are pluses to be had to spending more but odds are (unless something is malfunctioning) all pellet cookers will produce food that is virtually identical.
SmokyDick is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post

Sometimes, though, you buy something because you just want it, impulse-buy price range be damned. I have a watch collection in my drawer, but my every day watch was a Timex. Then one day I was in a jewelry store and saw the exact Tag Heuer watch I had been lusting after for years. Obscenely expensive, but when the store owner offered me $200 off, it was mine. I can tout the sapphire crystal, SuperLuminova lume, high quality movement, etc., but for the purpose of keeping time, it's no better than the Timex. Still, you couldn't pry my Tag off my wrist. I think it's the same with expensive pits. I don't think a new pit would make my Q any better, but I would love to look out the back window and see that lovely 640 with Competition Cart sitting on my deck.

The watch analogy is a pretty good one. I use it all the time. High end audio equipment is also another place where the same kinds of things happen. Its funny, on a BBQ forum, we use analogys about watches and audio equipment. On the horological forums they use audio as the comparision. On the Audio site we use......well, you get the picture.

Human beings are quirky, funny things when it comes to purchases and where we place value. I'm happy for the wide variety I get a chance to see. All the way from toilet seat red neck engineering to the super smooth expensive stuff. Its all good. For somebody.
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post

On topic: I've looked at GMG but the augur noise they make just sounds so bad. There are pluses to be had to spending more but odds are (unless something is malfunctioning) all pellet cookers will produce food that is virtually identical.
I take exception to this. I have a Traeger timberline and a MAK 2*
cooking between 275*-350* they are pretty close but for smoking L&S or high heat grilling the MAK wins hands down every time.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I take exception to this. I have a Traeger timberline and a MAK 2*cooking between 275*-350* they are pretty close but for smoking L&S or high heat grilling the MAK wins hands down every time.
I get it that a pellet pooper with grilling features will grill better than one without. But what differences do you see in the food results when cooking L&S on the two cookers?
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I get it that a pellet pooper with grilling features will grill better than one without. But what differences do you see in the food results when cooking L&S on the two cookers?
I have limited experience with the Mak as I have only had it a month or so but have done BSR and Stl ribs. With the timberline, smoke mode is a must the get much smoke profile, on the MAK I have come to realize for my pallet that I need to dial back the smoke (higher heat and milder pellets) otherwise the smoke can bee too much for my liking, even more smoke than my clean burning stick burner.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #21
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post

Different strokes for different folks. The auger noise from my GMG Daniel Boone doesn't bother me a bit. Would I trade for a FEC, MAK, Memphis or Yoder? Sure, but I'm quite happy with the DB.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #22
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I can’t stand the auger noise on my Davy Crockett in the camper...irritating to no end to me...especially compared to my Memphis

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I can’t stand the auger noise on my Davy Crockett in the camper...irritating to no end to me...especially compared to my Memphis

Dang gtsum, My DC is virtually silent. My neighbor and I were on the deck about 4 feet away and he asked me if I had it on. Maybe I just got lucky.
I'll trade you my DC for your Memphis.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #24
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can relate to that! I used to own a big pig trailer from GMG. Take DC level of noise and double it lol.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #25
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Sometimes, though, you buy something because you just want it, impulse-buy price range be damned.
I own a Traeger for 4 years now and upgraded to a YS640 comp cart in January. Part of this was very nicely described by qnbiker. I've been wanting the YS640 for several years. But the Traeger had acted up a few times AND I needed more cooking space for some bigger cooks we do each year. So those were also a couple of reasons for the upgrade. But mainly, I just wanted that damn thing on my patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
My first couple of cooks on the Yoder were not great, due to operator error. I learned how to use it and the cooks got better. The misses still wasn't convinced about the Yoder so we did a shoot out and ran Traeger and Yoder side by side, same temp, same pellets and smoked a slab of baby backs on both. The results? The slab on the Traeger was done about 15mins before the one on the Yoder. Both had a nice bark and smoke ring. The Yoder slab had more smoke flavour and was more moist. Yes, I know 2 different slabs can be different but these were very similar in size and weight (15gr difference).

It's all about how much you want and can spend. I believe in getting the best you can afford so there's no 'but what if..' later on.

Oh, the Yoders tend to have a rust problem. I noticed the other day that mine already has a small spot of rust on the front, need to take care of it.

Thanks from: --->