My pit boss just exploded on video!

Dude, you don’t like PG’s, got it...

Stick burners can have a grease fire, soooooo...

Dude, you don’t like PG’s, got it...

Stick burners can have a grease fire, soooooo...

Your reading comprehension needs a lil work.........
If I had more play $, I’d Probally own a RecTec Stampede. Some Folks think Pellet Poopers are totally Safe (nothing is Totally Safe), some think These issues are few and far between and only happen to Traegers, PitBoss and Camp Chef—neither is True. Some think if these issues Happen it Has to be Operator Error- Not True, sometimes it is, sometimes it ain’t............

Last edited:
Ummm no, I do all right...

For me I don’t worry about and just take the common sense precautions that I already take on charcoal cookers like cooking away from the house, on pavement, making sure to clean after cooking, etc. things I already did before getting my first pellet grill. For me I go back and forth between charcoal and pellet or here lately I do comparison cooks. Can’t decide which flavor I like better lol

I get your concern though smitty. I think sometimes you can do too much research into something that you worry yourself sick. Sometimes concerns can be blown out of proportion. Someone made a good point that often times the most dangerous thing we do during the day is drive. Yet we do it everyday.
Bottom line is there is risk with everything. The question is whether that risk is worth it to you. For me it definitely is.

Last edited:
Your reading comprehension needs a lil work.........
If I had more play $, I’d Probally own a RecTec Stampede. Some Folks think Pellet Poopers are totally Safe (nothing is Totally Safe), some think These issues are few and far between and only happen to Traegers, PitBoss and Camp Chef—neither is True. Some think if these issues Happen it Has to be Operator Error- Not True, sometimes it is, sometimes it ain’t............

6 pages of drama over a guy that is looking for a pop as opposed to unplugging it ain’t my problem...

“Hey I got one!” He knew there was a problem and chose to do nothing!

(nice edit after the fact btw)

Now, where’s my fire proof bomb suit?

No Sense making Light of it. It’s a potential hazard on ANY Pellet Grill/Smoker for a variety of reasons that could have serious repercussions. More likely on cheaper brands with less quality electronics but you can find incidents reported, videos of High End Brands. It’s Something to be aware of on Pellet cookers and possibly take some precautions - like: running it on concrete or gravel or pavers away from the house, Not running it while sleeping, Not keeping pellets in the Hopper/auger tube for long periods of time or in Humid environments, keeping it clean, keeping the temp sensor rod thing clean, inspecting auger regularly, etc, etc...... just have to decide what -if any - precautions you want to do. Or you may decide the Risk - even if slight - is Not worth it to you to own a pellet cooker.........

I decided Not to buy One because I decided against the Cheap Ones and couldn’t afford the Better Ones - But Better Ones still pose the same risks although maybe to a lesser degree.

IMHO an insulated cabinet charcoal smoker is as Easy ( maybe Easier since it doesn’t rely on electricity) and Safer than a Pellet Grill.

For all the talk about PGs being so easy - you seem to lose a lot of that ease to a lot of maintenance.

6 pages of drama over a guy that is looking for a pop as opposed to unplugging it ain’t my problem...

“Hey I got one!” He knew there was a problem and chose to do nothing!

(nice edit after the fact btw)

Now, where’s my fire proof bomb suit?

If it’s not your problem, why are you making a big deal about it?

As I pointed out in previous posts when I saw the smoke I knew that an explosion was a probability because of the videos that Smitty posts of these pellet grills blowing up. I gave it maybe 30 seconds to a minute to recover while assessing the situation because this grill does seem to occasionally pump out a lot of smoke. Once I figured it wasn’t recovering I decided to shut it down and the grill blew seconds after making the decision. The explosion did surprise me but I knew it was something that could happen. The “I got one” was just a reaction because I actually documented the explosion on film. Just like when someone happens to get a car crash on video and says “I got it!”. I also pointed out in another post that I knew from the videos that the explosion was not that bad so I wasn’t standing back too far. To be quite honest I was more concerned about burnback after the explosion so I drained the hopper as soon as I shut it down. There was burnback about 4” up the auger.

The big thing for me is that I will no longer trust this grill to run when I am sleeping on long over night cooks on brisket or buts (which is what I was cooking). This is part of the reason I bought this thing. I certainly didn’t buy it for the light smoke profile. People tell me you get used to the light smoke profile, but to me it’s like telling someone from NYC that they'll get used to eating frozen pizza.

The thing is going on the paver patio by my shop.

Chris

Last edited:
Back