MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Late Arrival For Comps

I have something I want to ask all of you guys/gals since there is a lot competition experience here. I love being involved in KCBS comps and want to do as many as I can. That being said, most of the time it's not justifiable for me to take Friday off just to compete for the weekend. The 3 comps I signed up for last year had no issues with me arriving around 6:00 pm Friday, meeting with the KCBS reps and getting meat inspected. I also dropped my trailer off Thursday night so it would be a complete cluster with me arriving late.

Fast forward to this year and the first comp I want to sign up for tells me that if I can't make the cooks meeting I won't be able to compete as the KCBS reps usually leave right after the meeting along with the meat inspector. Now I totally understand every comp is different and every organizer runs things a little differently...but have you guys ran into this issue a lot? Or do all of you take the full or half a day Friday off for the comps?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
egorham
On the road to being a farker

I take Friday off when I compete but I did have to arrive late one comp because my brisket delivery came late on Friday. I was able to get my meat inspected by another team.

I would see if you could work with the rep and/or the organizer. I know reps in our area have designated another team to do the meat inspection for other teams as well. I think the reps can designate anyone to do meat inspection for them.
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'd see who the reps are and find out from there. Most of the time, you don't have to actually go to the cooks meeting, but you do obviously have to get your meat inspected. Around here if you work it out beforehand, they'll let 3 other teams inspect meat if the team arrives late.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Yeah, check. I usually take Friday off as well, but there have been several times I've had a team bring me their meat, and I take it out there and just tell the reps that I have the meat for so and so, and they inspect at the same time they do mine. Then when they arrive they can start doing their thing.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Is it out of line to contact the KCBS reps directly? I already contacted the organizer about it and he said the meeting was mandatory...but he also said he's never had a cook/team ask about showing up late either. I have another team from my town competing that weekend that I could send my meat cooler with, but I want to make sure I don't step on any toes but contacting the KCBS reps direct. Thanks everyone!

Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I've shown up at 5am on Saturday morning before and regularly have rolled in at 10pm or so. The reps will work with you. A meat inspection after hours can be done by grabbing a couple of other teams and letting them inspect it for you. You may not get your boxes until 9 the next morning, but it is still not usually a problem. I never attend cooks meetings (superstition!).

The only time there is an issue, is if the event is well attended by the public and gets fenced in after the teams arrive and they can't safely move people in after hours. Skip these if you are loading in late.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I take half day on most Fridays, but we tend to stay within a couple of hours of home, so we are usually on site by 3pm. I still contact the organizer so they know that I will be pulling in on Friday afternoon and so far none have had issues. There are two comps that are close enough that I drop the trailer off on Thursday evening.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone! I will contact the KCBS reps and see what can be worked out!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
samappleton
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Sam Appleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
Is it out of line to contact the KCBS reps directly? I already contacted the organizer about it and he said the meeting was mandatory...but he also said he's never had a cook/team ask about showing up late either. I have another team from my town competing that weekend that I could send my meat cooler with, but I want to make sure I don't step on any toes but contacting the KCBS reps direct. Thanks everyone!
Reps welcome speaking with all our teams. If you don't have the reps email, call the KCBS office and tell them your reps name and ask for their email address.

Per KCBS rules the cooks meeting is NOT mandatory, however if we have something special to share about the contest at the cooks meeting and your not there, you better hope some other team will tell you. (We have an old contest that has pork turnin first. They are grandfathered/approved by the KCBS board each year - Elkmont, AL and yes 2 yrs ago we had a team that didn't make the cooks meeting get DQed for turning in chicken instead of pork) I would also mention to your rep you were told the meeting was mandatory, they should correct this with the organizer.

More than once I have given permission for a teams to have their meats inspected by 2 other teams.

I can not think of a contest where someone didn't show up till late. Especially with BY teams, we all have 40 hr jobs to help pay for the weekend fun.

Keep your smoke thin,
Sam Appleton
KCBS Rep
samappleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samappleton View Post
Reps welcome speaking with all our teams. If you don't have the reps email, call the KCBS office and tell them your reps name and ask for their email address.

Per KCBS rules the cooks meeting is NOT mandatory, however if we have something special to share about the contest at the cooks meeting and your not there, you better hope some other team will tell you. (We have an old contest that has pork turnin first. They are grandfathered/approved by the KCBS board each year - Elkmont, AL and yes 2 yrs ago we had a team that didn't make the cooks meeting get DQed for turning in chicken instead of pork) I would also mention to your rep you were told the meeting was mandatory, they should correct this with the organizer.

More than once I have given permission for a teams to have their meats inspected by 2 other teams.

I can not think of a contest where someone didn't show up till late. Especially with BY teams, we all have 40 hr jobs to help pay for the weekend fun.

Keep your smoke thin,
Sam Appleton
KCBS Rep
Sam, do you realize how this comes off??

What is a "BY", team, btw?

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Sam, do you realize how this comes off??

What is a "BY", team, btw?
I can’t speak for Sam but I’m assuming he means “backyard” teams that don’t compete week in and week out.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

There is no requirement to attend a cooks meeting. You can show up whenever you want under most circumstances. Other teams can do your meat inspection

Old 04-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

The KCBS reps are there for us and will welcome your questions. I am a backyard team and usually show up rather late on Friday (after 3) and have never had a problem.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks again everyone! I will be contacting the reps tomorrow to see what we can do. I have another team from my town competing in the comp so I may just see if I can sent my meat with them and have it inspected all at once. Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
Thanks again everyone! I will be contacting the reps tomorrow to see what we can do. I have another team from my town competing in the comp so I may just see if I can sent my meat with them and have it inspected all at once. Thanks for the insight!
I wouldn't ask. I would tell them you are arriving in the evening and will need your meat inspected upon your arrival. Give a time that you plan on arriving. There is no set rules on when you have to arrive.