How to burn logs in WSM like Santa Maria Grill

Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum. :-D

Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum. :-D

I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway :clap2:) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.

You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway :clap2:) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.

Yeah, moving the grates is really no big deal on small cooks. I think where you'd miss that feature is if you are cooking for a lot of people and want to do 10 tri-tips or chicken leg quarters at once. It would be cool to have the real deal but I like not adding to "the herd." I'm also wondering if an actual SM grill would even last here during the spring. I've never had a grill where the steel cooking grates aren't enclosed in a greasy grill. They probably have covers or something though.

I hear ya on 'adding to the herd'. Another 'cheap' 55 gallon drum can blend in with my others.... waaaay better than a $800 Santa Maria grill would. :hand: The drum could virtually go undetected and unsuspected.:-D The beauty of doing SM style is it can be a fairly quick cook. It can satisfy the need to play with fire and get a quick meal, and doesn't require you to spend hours doing it.....sort of a happy medium. It's basically grilling....but at a slower pace. I never feel 'fulfilled' whenever I grill, because I don't feel like I have been out there long enough. (only 1 beers worth :icon_blush:)

I don't have a WSM to experiment on so I'm on the Mod a 55 gallon drum side too.

Will say this- if I could stumble on a nice cheap stash of Stainless 3/4" x 1/8" angle- I'd do a smallish Santa Maria with an Argentinian V Grate in a heart beat.

Heck- carbon 3/4" is pretty cheap- if I keep it greased...maybe it'd last. May do one for the hell of it- sort of like the Gabby's- but with a square frame.

Never used the method to replicate a SMG but began using the WSM as a stick burner last spring...fabbed a 12x12 fire basket and leave the ring out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244791

Ah, very cool. Thanks for the link. I figured I could not have possibly been the first one to think of something like this. seems so obvious now that I look at it. Why the square firebox instead of the fire ring?

Back