Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball. :mrgreen::cool:

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot. :cool:

Thanks, Poo. Starting to make more sense, though the carving at the table borders on showmanship. In support of our only local contest, I will be competing and attempting to defend my grilling title.

Showmanship is not judged.. but we never said you cant be out there, we said its not required as in MIM. I think you dressed up as sara lee would be awesome!

come to think of it, it is a halloween festival...
have Dracula coming out to slice a leg of lamb.. rare... garnished with little slabs of red meat.

The judicious and wise Jerry and Linda Mullane have asked me to inquire about team interest in having an additional 2:00 pm turn-in on Sunday for a non-official experimentation slot.

Would you like to see how your brisket would score if you used your top secret new method? What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins? Have you always wanted to know how a judge would score pulled pork with a mole sauce? This would be your chance.

If you are interested in this opportunity, let me know and we will set it up for you.

Eric

The judicious and wise Jerry and Linda Mullane have asked me to inquire about team interest in having an additional 2:00 pm turn-in on Sunday for a non-official experimentation slot.

Would you like to see how your brisket would score if you used your top secret new method? What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins? Have you always wanted to know how a judge would score pulled pork with a mole sauce? This would be your chance.

If you are interested in this opportunity, let me know and we will set it up for you.

Eric

I like the idea. I'd be willing to be a Guinea pig.

OTOH, I liked the concept of comment cards, too. Whatever happened to that?

Let me be very clear on what we were discussing regarding the experimentation:

Linda asked if we would be willing to try something new and have a 'turn-in' time for teams who have been thinking about trying something new but want to give it a test run.

IF there is interest I will try to get some judges to hang around and give their opinions on what is turned in at 2:00 pm. This has NOTHING to do with the scores, or rankings, or another category. It has very little to do with the contest as a whole.

It will be handled almost entirely by the reps, the judges that agree to hang out for a bit and the teams that want the feedback.

It is a service being offered (generously, by the Mullanes) for competitors.

Eric

Eric

long as my experimentation can't drag down the scores that count i'm in..

Back