MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
GSDGuy
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Bob V
Default Meadcreek BX-25??

Hi All,

I'm Bob. This is my first post, so if I do something wrong, I apologize in advance, and please correct me.

Alright, a little background. I’m a regional truck driver and fell in LOVE with pulled pork when I would run down to the Piedmont area of South Carolina….YUMMMMM. I like the vinegar.

I was really on the fence about purchasing a smoker due to my work schedule. If you’re a trucker, you know you don’t have much home time. My family bought us our first smoker. A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker from Bass Pro. It worked well….for a few times and then the electronics gave out, but it got me hooked.

Meadow Creek Smokers are in my backyard, and I’ve been drooling over the BX-25 for some time. The problem is, I’m 54, if I was in my low 40’s or younger, this decision would be a no brainer because I would get more use out of it. I don’t smoke a lot, 3 times per year, due to work. With all the extras, it comes in at a hefty price. I’m sure if I have this thing, I’ll get into using it more. I plan or reading more and more on it and finding out what all you can do with a smoker. I guess if I don’t use to a lot, I can always throw a lock on it and use it as a safe. I like the fact that you can probably use it in the dead of winter with not much of an issue.

I’ve seen some folks on here who have the BX-50, but does anyone have the BX-25 and how often do you smoke with it?

How do you like it?
Anything you don’t like about it?

Thanks in advance.
GSDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I do occasional Comps with a guy who uses the 50 He sells them It is awesome Holds Temps and can fit a lot of food on them Melvin the owner of Meadowcreek is a really nice guy and does quality work Give Tom or Bill a call at Smoke'n Dudes in Bensalem PA They can tell you all about it
BTW my father was born and raised in Lebanon PA I use to go to a camp outside of Fredricksburg as a kid and had an Aunt who lived in Licksdale
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
GSDGuy
Found some matches.

Smile

Thank you for the reply George.

Lebanon is a nice place to live and raise a family. Still rural, but close to bigger cities and two chocolate factories, well one factory, the other moved/shutdown, but they still have a fantastic retail store, Wilbur Chocolate in Lititz, PA. And of course Hershey Chocolate.

I've visited Meadow Creek quite a few times. The BX-25 is HUGE and the BX-50 is even bigger. I understand they now have a BX-100, that one must be a BEAST. They rent the BX-50 for $90day, so I've been toying around with simply trying it out, but finding the time is difficult. Being a Trucker, I'm home for 40 hours or less, then I'm gone again. I spoke with Dan Galloway at the Syracuse Nationals Car Show who had a Food Trailer set up. He was using the BX-50 and has for years and years and years. It still looked to be in great shape.

I way hoping to find someone with my arrangement. A family guy that doesn't do comps and has a BX-25.

I found the Smoke'n Dudes on-line and I will give them a call.

I do have a natural gas Weber for Burgers, Dogs and Steaks. And of course Funnel Cakes and Corn Dogs. That side burner comes in handy

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the BX-25, I just need a little nudge from you guys. Steel is not getting any cheaper. The BX-25 with stainless interior went up $415 since last year.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Your life seems to be screaming for a pellet grill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Your life seems to be screaming for a pellet grill.

This or something lower cost lit a like a pit barrel smoker.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
2PigsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Hey Bob,

A few years ago I was also looking at stepping up to the BX25 from my masterbuilt duel fuel smoker. At that time I wasnt smoking to often just a few times a year. I ended up getting the BX50 instead and honeslty im sure glad I did. Once I got the BX50. I found myself smoking a lot more and really became almost addicted to the hobby. Everybody is differnent but the extra room the bx50 offers was worth the price for me. I have had briskets, ribs, pork butts and a tray of mac and cheese, jalepeno poppers all in there at the same time. I wouldnt have been able to fit it all in the the bx25. I know if I would have went with the bx25 I would be kicking myself for not getting the 50. Im almost kicking myself for not waiting until the bx100 came out lol.

If you only smoke 3 times a year I would probably just rent the bx50. At least for 1 cook. Then you can see just how much can fit in there and decide if the extra room is worth the price to you. Just my 2 cents. Meadow creek also has excellent customer service.

Best of luck,

-Brian

Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
2PigsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Also I smoke all winter long with it and it holds temps like a champ

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
GSDGuy
Found some matches.

Thanks Brian for the info.

How many people do you cook for?

Or do you do one of those Italian BBQ's. A 7 course BBQ over 8 hours of eating :-)

We have a VERY small family with no extended family in the area, it's just the 3.5 of us, my Mother-in-law does not eat much. And mostly just 2.5 of us, our daughter is in college.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

I agree with the above then. A nice small pellet grill would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGuy View Post
Thanks Brian for the info.

How many people do you cook for?

Or do you do one of those Italian BBQ's. A 7 course BBQ over 8 hours of eating :-)

We have a VERY small family with no extended family in the area, it's just the 3.5 of us, my Mother-in-law does not eat much. And mostly just 2.5 of us, our daughter is in college.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I did a breakdown of all the smokers in that size when we were looking and decided that the BX25 was not the best bang for the buck or the right smoker for us. It is an amazing smoker, but it's cooking surface is considerably smaller than the Humphrey's Battle Box we chose and can't fit a full hotel pan as it is too narrow at about the same price and weight. Having the pans is a godsend in regards to cleanliness of the smoker and ease of cooking.

If you are interested, I am looking to offload my Battle Box and am within an hour and a half from you in Washington, NJ. However, if you are dead set on Meadow I don't blame you either. They are awesome smokers and we compete against guys with BX50s all the time.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=264266

Last edited by Pedro7; 09-17-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Welcome to the forums Bob! I was just like you at one point, running all week and only getting home long enough for my 34. I still managed to find the time to start smoking a lot more. Be careful though, if you get a little too hooked on it you may find yourself giving up the road to open a barbecue trailer!

Now I cook full-time and drive part time. Most Sunday's I run out to Zanesville, OH and swap trailers with one of our Maryland drivers.

Typically if I got home around 7:00 pm on Thursday, I'd prep the food and smoker when I got home, then get up early Friday (around 5:00) and fire everything up. We'd eat somewhere around 6:00 pm, rave about how awesome I was, then pack the leftovers for me to have on the road Saturday.

It's possible, but you have to really want to do it.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I didn't realize the 25 wouldn't fit pans. That's a deal killer for me as i do beans and mac n cheese. I'd rather have the little Humphrey's.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
GSDGuy
Found some matches.

Correct All, The BX-25 will not fit full pans, but it will handle 1/2 pans. I'll look into the Humphrey's and the others. I have more research to do. I was just trying to save on the shipping costs by purchasing it locally, pus supporting the local folks.

Thank you for the offer Pedro7. I'll keep your offer in mind.

Last edited by GSDGuy; 09-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: To Thank Pedro7.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGuy View Post
Correct All, The BX-25 will not fit full pans, but it will handle 1/2 pans. I'll look into the Humphrey's and the others. I have more research to do. I was just trying to save on the shipping costs by purchasing it locally, pus supporting the local folks.

Thank you for the offer Pedro7. I'll keep your offer in mind.
If you want to look at a Humphreys in person I have one just down the road from you, denver PA. Just pm me, happy to fire it up for you.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

I don't have a BX-25. I have seen them. They are nicely built but you have to seperate the brisket to fit one. If your ok with that go for it.

If not try a 270 Smokers Hollywood. I own the 270 Sumo. Pretty similar in size. Mine is a discontinued model. The hollywood will fit a few full size packer briskets. Small enough for the home cook and big enough for competition if you ever want to try it out. It fits full size pans. No need for electronics.

I smoke and bake with my 270. Fire baked pie is awesome.
I got mine at Mason Dixon BBQ in Greencastle, PA. It saves on shipping. They have them in stock. They were even cool with me counting out 1 dollar bills. Really great folks and the store is packed with stuff to look at and buy. Rubs and sauces and injections. They also carry the Meadowcreek BX-25. They have Backwoods smokers in stock too. I would call them and look at them there so you can compare a few of them and decide what you like.

Last edited by Rusty Kettle; 09-17-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->