Vegimite/Marmite

SyraQue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone used either vegimite or marmite as a slather/binder for smoked meats? I'm interested in giving it a go, if anyone has any recommendations for good rub combinations etc.

Thanks in advance!

I used it in a marinade on short ribs, for the foreign infusion TD. I only used a couple of tablespoons in the whole marinade, and you could still taste it. Final product was meat pies, and they were delicious, but I would be careful with how much you use, unless you are a hardcore vegemite lover.

I've never used it as a slather but I do use in anything that could use an umami boost.
A teaspoon or so, along with some fish sauce, does wonders for soups. stews and chili. It is also a part of my brisket wrap liquid.

Hmm...that could be pretty delicious. Maybe vegimite, fish sauce, mirin and reduced sake for a wrap liquid?

That's a direction I wasn't even thinking of, thank you.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
WOW, look at these Vegemite users coming out of the woodwork.

I eat it on toast and sandwiches, put it in meat pie filling but I haven't used it as a slather or marinade.

Guess i need to be serious
I have read quiet a lot about using Vegemite as a rub, i have tried heaps of recipes doing it as I love vegemite.
I will stick to using it on bread etc, great on crackers. Awefull on meats, just my opinion.

I gots to know. They had VM at World Market last time I was there.

So I think I have a plan.

I'm thinking either beef short rib/beef chuck. Black ops rub maybe with a worchestershire/ marmite slather. Low and slow for a bit in the smoke. Pan with marmite, sake, fish sauce, honey and a bit of lime. Cook till fall apart. End game is maybe some Viet/Austin style spring rolls?

Not fully settled yet, but I usually wing it a bit during a cook anyways.

I never thought I'd see a thread about Vegemite / Marmite here.
:-D

I put it on my toast, on bread, always with butter and sometimes with cheese.

I love it, but here in Austria the "locals" run a mile from it so I have never considered using it in a marinade.

And there is no way I can share my limited supplies with "non- Vegemite lovers"...

Well, so much for my cooking being done for the weekend. Stopping to grab some beef on the way home from a family lunch. This has turned into a brain worm.

Alright, chuckie is on the wsm 22. Slather was 2tbls marmite, couple dashes of Worcestershire and some local honey. It almost tasted like a European style teriyaki, but with a lot more umami. Rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops. Thing smelled freakin delicious. I'll update as things go and maybe finally try to post some pics.

Thanks again everyone with the ideas for the adventure!

Excellent- I bought a really cute small rack of St. Louis cut spares. I’ll be doing a Vegemite slather. Tomorrow, maybe Monday.

Back