First Brisket on the Brazos!

holdenf92

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, I don't have class today so I decided to cook the prime packer I got from came last week. This is only the third brisket I've ever done and my first on the Brazos. This time I put the fire grate in the cook chamber as a tuning plate and used no fire grate In the firebox. Wood was oak as usual and for this cook I seasoned the brisket with a combination of Oakridge Black Ops and a coarse salt, pepper and garlic powder mixture. The brisket weighed in at 11.80 lb before trimming so he wasn't a huge one. Keeping my fires consistently clean and burning between 250-300 the whole time, this brisket cooked in a little over 8 hours, which is relatively short. But it tasted great. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_20171006_001609.jpg
    IMG_20171006_001609.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20171006_082328.jpg
    IMG_20171006_082328.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20171006_082639.jpg
    IMG_20171006_082639.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20171006_082643.jpg
    IMG_20171006_082643.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 342
Looks good to me man. I'd say first brisket on it was a successful brisket on it.

Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

what do I think ? I think it looks great ! actually I would like to have 4 or 5 slices of it .....

Last edited:
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all the compliments y all. It's been a while since I did an all night cook and man I totally crashed this morning. It was worth it though.

Just curious why you didn't use the fire grate in the firebox? If you're only doing that single brisket you really wouldn't need a tuning plate anyhow. Just curious as it looks like it would be tough to keep a clean fire going with nowhere for the ashes to drop.

Just curious why you didn't use the fire grate in the firebox? If you're only doing that single brisket you really wouldn't need a tuning plate anyhow. Just curious as it looks like it would be tough to keep a clean fire going with nowhere for the ashes to drop.

I saw Aaron Franklin do it in his videos and I just decided to try it and see how it went. I used an ash shovel to move the coals around but honestly I think.it was one of the cleanest fires I've burned so far on the smoker. My logs were long enough to kind of wedge into the firebox above the coal.bed so I didn't have airflow issues. I always run my fire box door and my smokestack wide open though so that always helps.

I saw Aaron Franklin do it in his videos and I just decided to try it and see how it went. I used an ash shovel to move the coals around but honestly I think.it was one of the cleanest fires I've burned so far on the smoker. My logs were long enough to kind of wedge into the firebox above the coal.bed so I didn't have airflow issues. I always run my fire box door and my smokestack wide open though so that always helps.

I think you’ve got it figured out. Clean fire is essential. Even if they are not long enough enough air flow (open door)....they will burn.

Heck yes.

Like a boss.

Keep it up and Aaron Franklin will be taking notes on your cooks.

Nice clean fire getting it done nicely.

^^ This right here. Grates get in the way sometimes and sometimes you just have to play with the fire to really appreciate it.

Looks like it was cooked on the finest of pits to me!
Great job!!!

Do.y all know the best way to reheat brisket? I assume wrapped in foil in the oven right?

Do.y all know the best way to reheat brisket? I assume wrapped in foil in the oven right?

On the brisket cooks where I've foiled about 1/2 way through I'll have tons of juice left that goes into the container with the leftover brisket and stored in the fridge. Almost doesn't matter how I reheat it. Comes out pretty good.

On the last couple cooks I didn't foil....just let it ride the whole time undisturbed.

This didn't have all that wonderful juice saved. Whatever was in the meat after resting was it. The cold leftovers the next day seemed a bit dry. I put 'em a pan with some beef broth and reheated in the oven and let it rest a bit. Results were certainly better than using a microwave.

I'll be doing a smallish flat on Monday. Planning on using foil when it hits mid 160's. Hoping to save some of that juice on this cook. Heck....I may just do a the whole thing up as lean burnt ends.

Great looking brisket you did there.

How'd you like the Black Ops ? It's about my favorite store-bought brisket rub.

You have that Brazos up and running strong. It's going to be fun watching your cooks on it.

Back