MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can only tell you my experience, and take it as you wish.

I started smoking on a 22.5 Weber kettle. I then moved to an 18.5 WSM. If I were to start over, I would still want a Kettle for grilling, because they are awesome grills, but would move my smoking to a WSM as soon as I could afford it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
16Adams

Default Oh My

Go Cheap ??????
Go Propane from Walmart????

Egads

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I started ages ago with my WSM, and I still use the same one today...have added a few toys in the interim
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
SmittyJonz

You could get a 22.5" a Weber Kettle Silver for. $99 , DIY SmokyNador for it for $16, Order Big Poppa Drum kit for $140 and get a $30 drum and a Charcoal Chimney for $15 --So $300ish with tax and little stuff then have $300ish to spend on Charcoal, Wood Chunks, Butcher Paper and Meats!

Or a Weber Kettle and PBC or a Kettle and this:
http://stores.barbequejunction.com/-...Categories.bok
http://www.firecraft.com/product/mav...k-thermometers

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 10-16-2013 at 01:36 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #35
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Hello RClark115 I am new here as well. I read and read the forums until I was blue in the face and decided on a UDS. The reason I chose a UDS is simple, if I decided I did not have the skills to smoke or did not like it, I wouldn't feel bad about abandoning (selling) it. I think I have about 130-$140 tied up in it all together. Now if I would have spent major cash and decided against it, well SWMBO might not have taken it so well.

Anyhow, that is just me. These guys and gals here are awesome and know their stuff! I am sure what ever you choose to go with, all you have to do is come in here and ask and they will help you all that you need. I have looked at several Q forums and NONE compare to the great folks here at the Brethren!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ray

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

the key is not to over spend when starting out. Many have suggested the WSM and OTG combo to start. That is what I did. I realized quickly that the WSM was not what I was looking for and got really lucky selling it without losing my shirt.

Start with a kettle, learn how to Q with the basics. The OTG is the most versatile tool out there as far as I am concerned. The 22.5 is great but the 26.75 would be cool as well.

If you hate it you only have a few hundred invested.

One poster already stated about the egg. I wish that I would have saved a bit more and then purchased. I am saving for the kamado Joe Big Joe. it is exactly what my cooking needs require.

Remember many here on the brethren have been at this a long time. The only thing better than spending on this hobby, is telling others what to buy. Dont get wrapped up in the hype. Start small and see what you think before purchasing something that you will wonder how the hell you can sell it later.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #37
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
^Do this to start, or maybe a 26.75 OGT if your budget will allow it! You will learn they are very versatile, obviously direct grilling but also some great slow smoking, CI cooking and even pizzas all at a good entry price point. Once addicted, you can consider anything from a UDS/WSM to a stickburner (my personal favorite).

And welcome to the forum!
^^^took the words right out of my mouth^^^

Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #38
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
the key is not to over spend when starting out. Many have suggested the WSM and OTG combo to start. That is what I did. I realized quickly that the WSM was not what I was looking for and got really lucky selling it without losing my shirt.

Start with a kettle, learn how to Q with the basics. The OTG is the most versatile tool out there as far as I am concerned. The 22.5 is great but the 26.75 would be cool as well.

If you hate it you only have a few hundred invested.
Can't agree with this more. I jumped up to a BWS, and although I don't regret it at all, it was a big investment. Like Bosco said, start with a kettle and go on from there. If you get hooked (like all of us!) you'll already have money in the bank for something bigger and better! And you'll always have that kettle as well. Good luck, and welcome!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
rwgoodwin1
Found some matches.

Like you I am new to this whole smoking thing. I started with a uds because someone I knew had one and wasn't using it.

The first time I used it I was amazed at how easily the temp was to control and how great the food was. The second time was even better because by the I had found this forum and studied it a little more than the wife would have liked.(that is until she tasted the food).

The uds I have is a simple version with only magnets over holes for control. Works so well I am now working on a second with more features just for fun.

I have virtually no experience compared to so many here and so much to learn but wanted to share my experience.

Good luck!
rwgoodwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Used Performer...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #41
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Jump in head first and look at the products being built by Tuscaloosa Q, you'll be hooked and never have to upgrade!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #42
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm a little confused by this. I don't want to restart the UDS/WSM/PBC debate, but there is no more or less fire tending with the WSM, UDS or PBC. All three are designed to be easy to use and maintain temp. The UDS and WSM just give you more flexibility in choosing a cook temp, but once set, there is no fire tending.
Not looking to start any of that again either so I will try to explain myself here.

What I was attempting to get across was that the PBC (at least in my view) is designed to be even more set and forget than a WSM or UDS. The PBC you light the charcoal, set it in the cooker, throw the meat in, put the lid on and your off and cooking. No temp gauges or tuning dials to mess with. Everything comes preset.

With a WSM and UDS on the other hand, as you pointed out, they are more flexible because they have temp gauges and tuning dials. You can dial in pretty much any temp one desires to cook at. IMHO there can be a learning curve to this. I think most folks will agree that getting a WSM or UDS up to temp and ready for meat takes some time and (very basic) know-how.

That leads me back to originally saying that the WSM and UDS are better for learning fire management and temp control than the PBC and the PBC is a good pit for learning to sit back and relax and learn to trust the pit to do its thing. Especially after some folks become so obsessed with keeping an exact temp (not saying its a bad thing at all) that they go bat sh*t crazy with temp controllers and probes that they turn their UDS or WSM into some mutant R2D2.

It also helps you learn the sight method of cooking BBQ. We all know that good BBQ is done when its done on its own time and that we can't strictly go by "time at a certain temp" when we are cooking up our favorite snacks. The PBC helps you learn this because you don't really know what exact temp its running at and thus you have to be on top of knowing what to look for in a done rack of ribs (pull back/bend test) or pork butt (bone wiggle). Can you learn that on a WSM or UDS too? Absolutely. I just personally feel that a PBC is a more forceful tool to learn it on, on account of the lack of temp gauges. Not saying it makes it better or worse. Just different.

Just my humble (and hopefully not offensive to anyone) $.02

Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #43
RClark115
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The idea of making a UDS is really intriguing to me. I found a small cheap nameless vertical on Craigslist I may pick up this weekend to tinker with in the interim. Thanks again, and I know I will be back asking questions throughout the build. The hardest part is finding the drum, as they're not readily available as it appears right now.
RClark115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #44
tmac3304
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I started on a Weber Kettle. Started just as a griller and then began doing indirect on it and really sparked my interest in smoking. So glad it happened! Good luck and welcome.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClark115 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The idea of making a UDS is really intriguing to me. I found a small cheap nameless vertical on Craigslist I may pick up this weekend to tinker with in the interim. Thanks again, and I know I will be back asking questions throughout the build. The hardest part is finding the drum, as they're not readily available as it appears right now.

If a UDS is on your list...Here is an ad for drums for sale near you...$20 to get the project going...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/4128998003.html
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote