MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Rib-O-Lator Installed On My BUFORD Drum Smoker..

Ordered the Rib-O-Lator a month or so ago and finally got time to install it.
Test run video after tacking the ports in place. Once I remove the stake rotisserie, I can cap the ports.

Got to find time to use it now!

YouTube - VID00001
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Great setup and now you have got me wanting one, phooey, another fight with the Old Lady over spending more money that she thinks I do not need to spend. Oh well, as we said in Vietnam, this hill is worth fighting for.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
Great setup and now you have got me wanting one, phooey, another fight with the Old Lady over spending more money that she thinks I do not need to spend. Oh well, as we said in Vietnam, this hill is worth fighting for.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Good luck!
Ditto. Did it come with those set screws or did you drill out the holes to make them bigger. That is an important upgrade.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ditto. Did it come with those set screws or did you drill out the holes to make them bigger. That is an important upgrade.
I bought the Rib-O-Lator, battery/AC powered motor and the 27" rotisserie kit. The kit comes with all the motor mounting hardware, stake, handle, weight, collar, etc.

I drilled the drum to fit 2) 3/4" threaded NPT nipples. I cut one nipple in half to make 2) short threaded nipples and tacked them into place. I then centered the stake through the nipples and attached the hardware for the stake holder and motor.

When I'm done, I remove the shelves, stake, etc. and use a 3/4" threaded cap to cover the port holes.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Big Mack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I had the old type wing screws that striped out. I called Rib O Later and they sent me the new set screws. He said they all come that way now. I believe the threads are standard so you could probably get them at home depot, if you didn't want to wait.

Big Mack
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

love the drum and rol setup Stuart. also in reply to Neil, they now come with new and improved set screws.
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

B-O-B 206-999-0962 [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
[URL="http://www.ribolator.com/"]http://www.ribolator.com[/URL] [URL]http://www.bungeeclips.com[/URL]
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
swamprb

I have a drum with B-O-B's name on it rusting in my back 40, if he wants to roll this way!

Love your setup, but I've resisted the temptation to go into a drum with the ROL, unless I find another 85 gallon barrel!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Smokerking, how far down on the sides did you drill for the pipe fittings?. Are you using a Webber lid on yours? I have a ROL that I have been using on my 22.5 kettle but since I have an extra drum hanging out in the basment I might just build another UDS for the ROL.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

A couple questions:

It seemed to be running pretty fast, is there a speed control? if so what was that set on?

also, no offense,...but that thing seems LOUD! was that the case? or was it a sensitive camera?

thanks!
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Mine is not quite that loud but I use a different motor. If I had to guess alot of that was resonance from the drum.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Nice setup!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCsmoker View Post
Smokerking, how far down on the sides did you drill for the pipe fittings?. Are you using a Webber lid on yours? I have a ROL that I have been using on my 22.5 kettle but since I have an extra drum hanging out in the basment I might just build another UDS for the ROL.
I have a cone top on this one;

The cone top has a 1 1/12" band around it to capture the drum. Not quite enough room to place the nipples/stake above the first expanded ring of the drum so I lowered it just below the first expanded ring so I could get a flush surface for the nipples and the mounting hardware. The ROL is just flush with the top of the drum when it rotates.

Holes are about 4" from the top.