Votes: 4 10.5%
  • something totally different

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • figure it out yourself, you lazy bast@#d

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

bertkemtncurs

I've been picking up info from all your UDS build threads, and have a good plan in place (I think), but it looks like air intake types and qty's are kind of divided. What type/how many/what size do you guys recommend? I'm in central OH, so outside temps go from below 0 to over 100.

I didn't vote because none of those it what I did... I have four 1/2 inch pipe nipples about 2 1/2 inches up from the bottom of the drum. The are what hold up my fire grate as well. On the outside one has a ball valve and the other three have caps. I usually find I need 1 cap open and the ball valve about 1/2 way open to maintain the temp I want. I know there are lots of other ways to do it... that is just what worked for me.

I have 3 1" holes 2 capped and 1 with a ball valve. I live in Az were 100 is a cool day

I didn't vote because none of those it what I did... I have four 1/2 inch pipe nipples about 2 1/2 inches up from the bottom of the drum. The are what hold up my fire grate as well. On the outside one has a ball valve and the other three have caps. I usually find I need 1 cap open and the ball valve about 1/2 way open to maintain the temp I want. I know there are lots of other ways to do it... that is just what worked for me.

Pretty much...me too!

This is exactly what I did! Also have 1 cap and valve 1/2 way open. Works great too!

I'll fourth that concept!

You could just play the ''drill and test'' game to see what works best. Start with one intake with a ball perhaps and go from there. I run one 3/4 hole open and adjust with one 3/4 ball valve.

Just remember to have more exhaust than intake and Bobs your uncle.

I did not vote either. On my UDS, I have four 1" X 1.5" close pipe nipples, all 2.5" from bottom of drum. My made a change since my last pic was posted. I have elbows on all four with two having a 4" extension and cap and two have 24" extensions with elbows and magnets to control the airflow.

On my UDG, I have three 1" X 1.5" close pipe nipples with caps. So far I have left them all wide open when grilling, but have magnets if I need to control the intake.

All are fastened to the drums with electrical conduit nuts on the inside and outside.

Mine do not hold the charcoal grate either. The grate is wired 3" above the bottom of the basket. The basket is 10" tall.

I had 3 half inch nipples. Two capped and one with a ball valve. I had 4 three-quarter inch holes in the lid for exhast. I was having trouble keeping temps up so I doubled everything. I know I don't need 6 intakes, but I wanted to keep thing symetrical.

Geometry geek mod

Before, I was having to crack the lid to get the fire up. Now I can easily control the temps from 180-350 depending on how many holes I open

I have one 2" intake pipe w/ a 90* bend welded to the drum and a adjuster on the other end. a 3" exhaust pipe in lid:icon_bigsmil

None of the above...I have 4 holes like this...

BigGreenDrum003.jpg

BigGreenDrum002.jpg

I have 3 3/4" plugs pretty much. I like the way mine is running so far.

Thanks guys! If any of you are ever in my neck of the woods, you got a beer (or several!:biggrin:) on me. I'll post pic's of this wreck once I start construction.

I've got a 2" exhaust pipe (new) bent at 90* coming in about 2" from the bottom of the drum & a 2 3/4" pipe going out the center of the top. Then again, mine isn't finished yet so I don't know how well it works:rolleyes:.

This is the setup I'm running and it serves me well:
One 1" vertical intake 30" tall controlled by sheet magnet,
for Low and Slow @ 225*-250* vertical intake is open
as you see it, about 1/4 to 1/2 open..
attachment.php

2" exhaust 8" tall:
attachment.php

Hood Ornament is Optional of course!!!
The Total Package:
attachment.php

This is the setup I'm running and it serves me well:
One 1" vertical intake 30" tall controlled by sheet magnet,
for Low and Slow @ 225*-250* vertical intake is open
as you see it, about 1/4 to 1/2 open..
attachment.php

2" exhaust 8" tall:
attachment.php

Hood Ornament is Optional of course!!!
The Total Package:
attachment.php

N8man, if that rig works half as well as it looks you're really onto something.

My experiment has (4) 1/2" intakes and a Weber kettle lid. Based on what I'm reading here, it looks like my best bet is to take Dr KY's advise and drill another hole or maybe even 2 in that lid to help keep my temps up.

I'm using (4) 7/8" intakes with plugs. Its super easy. (4) plugs out to start out with 3" exhaust set 1/2 open. At 200°F plug (2) intakes. At 225°F plug (1) intake and set exhaust damper to 1/3 open. Temperature will run 225°F to 250°F for nine hours without further adjustment. If its windy I cover the intake with a baffle. I have only run the 9 1/2 hours when cooking pork shoulders. I'm not sure how much longer it could go.

Last edited:
I've been picking up info from all your UDS build threads, and have a good plan in place (I think), but it looks like air intake types and qty's are kind of divided. What type/how many/what size do you guys recommend? I'm in central OH, so outside temps go from below 0 to over 100.
Looks like the cat got skinned more than one good way. Pick your poison and work with it for a few cooks and you will be fine. I use 4 one half in ball valves for whatever reason and it works great. Obviously, other designs work just as well. Just build it and you will have a huge smile on your face with the kind of Q you produce. Keep us posted.

Pretty sure I voted wrong, but the drumpit~clone has 2 ~ 3/4" nips, capped off and a 1" vert pipe with 1 1/2" exhaust. Can't say as I've tried any other design than those with a vertical intake pipe. My original trashcan, that I cook on most (more than the BGE), has a 1 1/4" SS grab bar reclaimed from a "senior center" for an intake and a couple Weber carb velocity stacks for exhaust...

Me...I find it as sort of a building hobby to try different designs to see what works best. What it really comes down to is studying the archives and determine what might work best for you. My second drum (a N8man clone) I put thru 7-10 days of temp trials before I decided on a final configuration and it holds temp real, real well. My next build is in the works (even though the clone's not yet completed...LoL)...:wink:

I'm in Jeff City, MO and don't think your winters are any better/worse than ours. In fact, used to live on WPAFB back in the day...

Back