MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Volsfan846
Got Wood.

Default Looking to add a smoker

Hello BBQ experts... I am looking to add a smoker this spring and right now I am deciding between a gravity fed cabinet like a Stumps or a XL Ceramic like a Kamado Joe Big Joe.

I have a small ceramic now and a WSM 22 and like both.

Any pro's and con's from anyone who has cooked on both types? I assume the gravity feed will be easier to maintain temps and the Ceramic will be more versatile, but what about the quality of the food, ease of cleaning and those types of issues.

I have a CyberQ WiFi already so temp control shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can provide....
Volsfan846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get a PBC

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
peeps

What do you need more capacity for?

Mainly smoking? Get the gravity feed.

Smoking, grilling, baking, etc? Get the ceramic.

If it were me and I had the 2 cookers you have now, I would go with the XL ceramic (from your options presented) as it would give a great deal of flexibility for grilling/smoking between the 3 cookers.

The gravity feed would only give you more smoking capacity, so unless that is your ONLY need, I would pass on it.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
ncstan
On the road to being a farker

I have a keg and a g/f smoker .I can not tell much difference in the smoke level imparted or the taste .The g/f will give You the ability to do greater amount of meat at one time . The g/f may be a little easier to control temps . the g/f requires a little more effort in cleanup but not much if cleanup is done on a regular basis .

Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Fwismoker

On a serious not i would agree with peeps. Go with what will give you the most versatility.

There are other options to give you that versatility but with the choices you listed it would be the Joe. There are so many things you can cook better with a sear after a smoke or just grill ....To be able to do it with one piece of equipment is very nice.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
What do you need more capacity for?

Mainly smoking? Get the gravity feed.

Smoking, grilling, baking, etc? Get the ceramic.

If it were me and I had the 2 cookers you have now, I would go with the XL ceramic (from your options presented) as it would give a great deal of flexibility for grilling/smoking between the 3 cookers.

The gravity feed would only give you more smoking capacity, so unless that is your ONLY need, I would pass on it.
Peeps nailed it. The only question I have is do you really need another smoker or are you just wanting another smoker? I just ordered a new smoker but I didn't need one. I just wanted to try something different. I was dead set on a GF but lots of people scared me off the GF with the grease fire and bridging stories. I ended up with an insulated vertical since I already had an offset and a vertical similar to a UDS or WSM but made out of 1/4" steel. I would eventually like to try every type. Next year I hope to convince the wife I need a ceramic because I love the versatility they bring.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
BBQ_MAFIA

Ceramic cookers are great as you can do so many different things on them.

If you don't need all the space that the GF will offer, I would go with a ceramic.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

If your looking to add a smoker, you may seriously want to consider buying a Humphrey's!!! Check out this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180904 These things are built like tanks and super efficient!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Volsfan846
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Hoggz View Post
If your looking to add a smoker, you may seriously want to consider buying a Humphrey's!!! Check out this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=180904 These things are built like tanks and super efficient!!!
They look a lot like a Backwoods. Similar or is there a big difference?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Volsfan846
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great.

And I don't really need a new smoker, but the two I have now just leave a gap. I love how easy the Ceramic is to cook on and clean up, but it is really small, especially if you want to cook in pans which I do from time to time. That is what had me leaning to something other than a round smoker.

The WSM is great, but it uses a lot of charcoal and is a royal pain to clean since there is no way to get the ashes out of the bottom without taking it a apart and dumping them.

The other option I was looking at was a pellet pooper, but I am concerned about the ability to control the amount of smoke and how to keep the pellets dry.

Good thing I have plenty of time to decide....

Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Primo XL is going to be a bit larger than the normal Kamado style ceramic is you wanted to go that way. Guru works amazing on it too.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan846 View Post
They look a lot like a Backwoods. Similar or is there a big difference?
I believe that Humphrey's uses heavier gauge metal. I have not seen one in person. The only thing I don't like is that they use rivets but everyone that has one loves them. I have seen Backwoods in person and they use screws and what I think is very thin material but again, everyone that has one loves them. I don't know if screws are better or worse than rivets but the Backwoods seem to have smaller racks than Humphrey's. If you can hold on a few more weeks several of us have purchased Abe's Smokers and will be posting some reviews when we finally get them. They are another Backwoods clone that just started a few years ago. These seem more like the Humphrey's in material and they are welded. No rivets or screws.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
pvcollie
On the road to being a farker

The Primo XL ceramic is oval shaped and will hold quite a bit on two levels. I loved the one I had - smoke and grill. Very versatile. Can't bet it.

I have a Backwoods Party which is also a nice cooker. Burns times were an issue until I added an extended charcoal basket.
pvcollie is offline   Reply With Quote