MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Essential ECB Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker Mods

Hi.....my name's Kempis and I LOVE my ECB smoker.....
I'll just come right out and say it.....properly modified, I think this very affordable smoker will perform as well as a WSM. There......I said it.

In fact.....I KNOW it. I've cooked on both at the same time on the same cook. Although the 18" WSM is slightly bigger than the ECB Gourmet (at 16"), the performance of these two was DEAD ON identical. In this photo I had 5 butts (all about 7-8 lb each) on the WSM and 2 large butts (about 10 lb each) on my ECB. I fired them both the night before at about 10 pm. Checked them at about 12, and then actually LEFT them (this was at someone elses house) and when I arrived back the next morning at 7 am, they were BOTH cruising at 225-230. The butts were all done at about noon the next day (some were a little stubborn, but all were done relatively at the same time). NO fuel was added to EITHER smoker during these cooks.

Anyhoo......so there seems to have been a lot of inquiries in recent months about how to modify an ECB. I've posted before in many of them, but thought perhaps it would be helpful to just put up a thread that I can link to or folks can just find easier with a quick forum search, so here goes......

Mine is a Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker. If you have a Brinkman Smoke 'n' Grill, the link below is a fantastic tutorial on how to modify one of those:
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

BUT....if you have (or are considering getting) the Gourmet model....here's how what a lot of research and note taking brought me to conclude....

There are 2 major problems with the design of this smoker.
1. Airflow control. The design does not allow for airflow to be controlled at all. The smoke just rolls out of the large gap between the lid and the barrell. There's a hole in the bottom that also cannot be closed off to limit the air intake.

2. Ash control. The design prohibits proper shedding of the ash as it builds up around the coals, therefore the coals end up betting choked out and the heat will trail off, leaving you scrambling.

The following 4 modifications will fix both of these issues. Of course, there are different ways to go about getting these results, but here's what I did and it has worked great.

MOD 1: Firepan modification.....add a charcoal grate

Get yourself a Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grate. They measure about 14.5" in diameter and are PERFECT for this. Drill in and install 3 or 4 bolts (NON-GALVANIZED of course) 1" above the bottom of the stock firepan and keep them there with nuts like this....

I've since these photos also just taken some pliers and opened up the vent slits in the bottom of the pan more to also improve airflow.

That will keep the WSJ grate up from the bottom of the pan and will allow the ash to drop away, keeping the fire rolling.....

MOD 2: Close up the air gap at the lid/barrell

Get some 1" fiberglass rope. This stuff can be found anywhere that has fireplace or wood burning stove repair. Here's what I bought....

I also bought some high tempurature silicone to properly seal it. I predrilled small holes just below the "rib" in the lid and used some regular old 1 1/4" drywall screws just to hold the fiberglass rope in place while the silicone set. The holes get sealed by the silicone bead, and when it was all done, I ended up leaving the screws there anyway. TIP: Premeasure the rope ahead of time and cut it to length!!! Then, just squeeze out a nice fat bead of silicone just under the lid's "ridge", sit the lid on a flat surface and put the rope in place, hand threading the screws through the center of the rope and into the predrilled holes. Easy peasy.
Here's what it looks like on.....

MOD 3: Add vent holes in the lid and an exhaust damper

I just picked up some medium guage sheet metal at Lowe's (you can buy hobby pieces that are around 12" x 12" (if I recall correctly) for decently cheap. I just cut this damper with snips, bent the one end, cut a narrow strap and then fastened it all onto the lid with some small screws with nuts on the inside. THEN I just drilled as many holes as I could within the space that's covered up by the damper. Here's what I have....

CLOSED

And OPENED

MOD 4: Add a damper to cover up the bottom intake hole

The intake hole I've found to be adequately sized, it just needs a way to close it down. I figured I could always drill MORE holes if I needed, but I've never found that necessary to do.

Again....out of the rest of the sheet metal, I made up the damper pictured below. I just used a basic pivot application with a single small bolt and used additional bolts just as stops to keep it all open and all shut. I ended up also adding the large "strap", bent as pictured so that when the damper is fully closed, the "strap" pushes the damper tightly against the bottom of the cooker.

The shape of the damper is like a channel. The shorter "sides" of the channel act as stiffeners.

OPEN

CLOSED (not fully)

Then I just used a sharpie to mark on the bottom of the cooker so I'd know how much the damper was open. The solid dot indicates CLOSED and the other one indicates OPEN.

I also found no need to change out the thermometer, although that can certainly be done. After much testing with remote thermometers and oven thermometers, I concluded that although the "WARM, IDEAL and HOT" indicators on the stock thermo SUCK in principal, they are (at least on mine) consistent. I just know where the temps are on mine. For instance, The I in "IDEAL" is the sweet spot (about 225). As long as the needle stays between the I and the E, I'm good. If I want to go to 325, I keep the needle to the spot between the L and the H. Change it if you want.....I'm just a real cheap arse. PLUS, I've used thermometers and just dropped them in through holes in the lid (as in the very first picture in this post), which is easy enough to do.

So, here's my smoker all done and cruisin....

I also find that I usually keep my bottom vent at about 1/4 open and my top vent between 1/2 and full open.

The only "maintenance" or babysitting I've had to do is shake the coals after a long while. To do this, I'll just CAREFULLY lift the top portion off of the firepan (meat chamber with water bowl, meat AND lid) and then shake the firepan to dislodge all the ash. If necessary (and I've not really ever NEEDED to do this, but have as a "CYA" thing) this is also how I'll add coals.

SO.....load it up, distribute smokewood in throughout the coals, FIRE IT UP and kick back and wait. There's ABSOLUTELY no reason this very affordable smoker can't do for you what it's done for me. Have I "graduated up" to larger, better, nicer cookers? YES! Of course! BUT....I still pull the old ECB out once in a while. It's a fine weapon.

Look....I picked it up for $15 used on Craigslist. I have a total of about $35 in it TOTAL.
Good luck getting a WSM for $35.

SO STOP HATIN' ON THE ECB!!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

SMOKE ON!!!!

Oh, and.......

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
TomB
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Mini-WSM
Weber Genesis gas grill
Smokey Mountain gas smoker
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Orrrrrrrrrr.......toss it in the garbage & build a drum.

Nice thread.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah. I got an ECB and did similar mods and turned out some very tasty Q. I only built my drum to get more space.

One problem I had, I used really thin sheet metal for the bottom damper. After a cook or two, it would bend and curl with the heat and not close properly. I think if I used thicker metal, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
ha-ben-arrow
On the road to being a farker

great mods. Starting mine this weekend.
ha-ben-arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I live in Taiwan, so the choce at Costco was between an ECB and a Kamodo. The Kamodo looked like a work of art, but with a price to match...Also, I'm new to the ways of the smoke, so I decided to start myself off with a Brinkmann Smoke'N Grill.

I haven't used it yet because I wanted to get some 'essential' mods done first...I put three holes in the lid with a switch/cover thing, a bunch on holes in the charcoal pan, and I got someone to weld some bars to hold a charcoal grate off the bottom of the pan. I guess my next mod will have to be a proper thermometer in the top...

I've seen a lot of people put the legs on the outside, so the charcoal pan can be accessed with ease, but if I do this do I need some bricks or something to hold the pan off the ground or will it still be able to sit in there? Is it an essential mod, or can I get by without it?

Also, does anyone have any other advice for a first timer using an ECB? I'm thinking of curing it this weekend, smoking some practice ribs, and then having a proper barbecue with friends next Friday! I'm excited!

What say you people?
TWQQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWQQ View Post
I live in Taiwan, so the choce at Costco was between an ECB and a Kamodo. The Kamodo looked like a work of art, but with a price to match...Also, I'm new to the ways of the smoke, so I decided to start myself off with a Brinkmann Smoke'N Grill.

I haven't used it yet because I wanted to get some 'essential' mods done first...I put three holes in the lid with a switch/cover thing, a bunch on holes in the charcoal pan, and I got someone to weld some bars to hold a charcoal grate off the bottom of the pan. I guess my next mod will have to be a proper thermometer in the top...

I've seen a lot of people put the legs on the outside, so the charcoal pan can be accessed with ease, but if I do this do I need some bricks or something to hold the pan off the ground or will it still be able to sit in there? Is it an essential mod, or can I get by without it?

Also, does anyone have any other advice for a first timer using an ECB? I'm thinking of curing it this weekend, smoking some practice ribs, and then having a proper barbecue with friends next Friday! I'm excited!

What say you people?
what kind of wood can you get over there?? any apple orchards?
my smoke n grill gets pulled out to water smoke whole birds over mesquite. I have found water smoking ribs didn't come out so well. I have not used it without water. I have many other smokers for that so I keep my two gourmet smokers waiting for whole birds. I just stored my 2 electric gourmets in the basement. they work well on good weather days above 60F but I missed the charcoal flavor. I havent plugged them in in years and needed the room. for the same reason, I threw away my gasser :)

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my ECB, Best 60 bucks I've ever spent!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

ECB does a great job as long as it isn't dead of winter cold. Even the electric model turns out nice Q using wood chips...but the element burns out at the worst times.

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkelephant View Post
what kind of wood can you get over there?? any apple orchards?
my smoke n grill gets pulled out to water smoke whole birds over mesquite. I have found water smoking ribs didn't come out so well. I have not used it without water. I have many other smokers for that so I keep my two gourmet smokers waiting for whole birds. I just stored my 2 electric gourmets in the basement. they work well on good weather days above 60F but I missed the charcoal flavor. I havent plugged them in in years and needed the room. for the same reason, I threw away my gasser :)
I just found an American dude over here who's just started selling proper American BBQ. I've tried his ribs, chicken legs, beef short ribs and brisket - everything was amazing - http://www.88kbbq.com/en/ . The best thing is that he told me he'll shortly be selling hickory and mesquite wood chips! I'm really hoping to smoke some ribs and pork shoulder, so I hope it'll work! Are you saying I shouldn't use the water pan when I do this?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Wampus

I've used mine both with and without water in the bowl. The only time I've left out the water is to get the temps higher. If doing ham or poultry, leave the water out to get the temps above 300. It's been recommended to put sand in the water bowl instead of leaving empty to protect against fire, but I have only ever just wrapped the bowl in foil and then afterward, just throw away the foil.

If you've already added the charcoal grate in the firepan, then you'll have better airflow. On the gourmet model, you don't have to worry about easy access to the firepan, IMO. I've had to shake the ash or add coals before and just lift the whole top off of it, meat, water and all (CAREFULLY!) and then I can do what I need to to the firepan. Then just replace the top portion after fiddling. The temp in the cook chamber stays nice and warm too!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #12
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for your input, Wampus. I've just got the regular Smoke'N Grill - no option of a gourmet model for me. I've put some holes in the base of the charcoal pan and some on the side - just above the level of the grate. Is there ever a problem of having too many holes? Should I try to put in a cover to hide some of the holes, or just go for it? As I've said before, ANY help is muchos appreciatedos!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
Wampus

I've not played with the SNG's, but have you found this link yet?
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

He's modified that exact version. Lots of folks have found some great info there. That's the first one I found as well.

I don't think you can have too many holes in the firepan, but you just have to make sure you can still close them off for control. In the link above, he's added a damper sort of like mine over all the holes he has in the pan.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
bigfootinindiana
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's a pic of mine on it's maiden voyage last year.
ecb.jpg
I'll try and find the website where I got the ideas for the legs from. I still use it regularly, but since I built a drum this year, it doesn't get the mileage that it once did. Also I have since replaced the stove gasket with high temp silicone tubing. Looks better and doesn't fall off like the stove gasket did if it gets wet.
bigfootinindiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
Wampus

THAT is farkin awesome! Sure looks better than mine!

If you don't mind, put up some details on your mods! You got pics? That's what this thread is all about!!!