MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

Default Building 200 or so chopped beef sandwiches

I have been volunteered to cook a bunch of briskets to be used for chopped beef sandwiches for my kids elementary school carnival. (Got to love the wife!!). We (volunteer Dads) are hoping to sell 200 or more sandwiches. All proceeds go to the school for various projects.

I'm thinking to allocate between 1/4 and 1/3 pound of cooked chopped beef per sandwich. Is there a convienient utinsile that would be good to "scoop" out just the right, uniform amount of chopped beef? I was thinking of something like an ice cream scoop, but that is too small.

I would also like to use a thin sauce to put on the sandwiches rather than a thick one. I was thinking of using Cattleman's or KC Masterpiece and thinning it down a bit with water and/or vinegar. I think the kids and adults would like either of those sauces.

I am planning on using just basic "Del Dixie" type thin sliced dill pickles and 1015 (or similar) sweet onions for those that want it.

Sam's has got pre cut foil sheets that I might use to wrap them in. Or maybe they sell some sandwich wraps that are just for that purpose.

We may include a small handfull of "bulk" potatoe chips with them, all served on a cheapo paper plate.

We are going to have different shifts of volunteers so I was hoping to set up a real simple and easy way to build a sandwich quickly.

Any ideas an input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You can buy various sized dishers (ice cream scoops) from a restaraunt supply. So that should be easy to figure out.

I used to do some festivals and the big scare was always foul weather and what the hell to do with unsold product (operating at a loss). Since this is for charity I am sure that it will not cost you a loss, but you should have a foul weather contingency plan (lots of freezer space).
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaty
I have been volunteered to cook a bunch of briskets to be used for chopped beef sandwiches for my kids elementary school carnival. (Got to love the wife!!). We (volunteer Dads) are hoping to sell 200 or more sandwiches. All proceeds go to the school for various projects.

I'm thinking to allocate between 1/4 and 1/3 pound of cooked chopped beef per sandwich. Is there a convienient utinsile that would be good to "scoop" out just the right, uniform amount of chopped beef? I was thinking of something like an ice cream scoop, but that is too small.

I would also like to use a thin sauce to put on the sandwiches rather than a thick one. I was thinking of using Cattleman's or KC Masterpiece and thinning it down a bit with water and/or vinegar. I think the kids and adults would like either of those sauces.

I am planning on using just basic "Del Dixie" type thin sliced dill pickles and 1015 (or similar) sweet onions for those that want it.

Sam's has got pre cut foil sheets that I might use to wrap them in. Or maybe they sell some sandwich wraps that are just for that purpose.

We may include a small handfull of "bulk" potatoe chips with them, all served on a cheapo paper plate.

We are going to have different shifts of volunteers so I was hoping to set up a real simple and easy way to build a sandwich quickly.

Any ideas an input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Acemart.com, I know there is at least one location in Houston, for the scoop.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Look for a #40 scoop - it'll be close to 1/4 pound per scoop. Like the other guys said, check out a restaurant supply store (I use GFS/Smar & Final) for stuff like this, too.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote