Brisket temp question

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If i pull my brisket at 170 how much will it rise in temp when resting? is that to early?

That's too early to pull. You will generally see around a 10 degree rise (give or take a few degrees) during the rest. And while temp alone can't tell you when the brisket is done, generally, it's going to higher than your projected 180 degree or so end product. Usually closer to the 190-200 range. But the probe test will tell you for sure when it's done.

Shoulder and brisket are about the same for temp. 190-205 range. If your temp is there you will feel a noticeable difference in how the temp probe goes into the meat. It should feel like it is going into softened butter. Very easy and very little resistance. If the shoulder has a bone, the bone should pull out easily from the shoulder. It is a built in "pop-up timer."

My three butts hit 206 on smoker before i pulled them and placed in cooler for 1.5 hour and then pulling. It was the talk of the party. Every piece of meat is different so IT are not as accurate as probing.

This is all you need to Know!!!!!!!!

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Back