MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
dcoyle4040
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Competition test cook (pRon)

Ok so yesterday was a dry run for our first competition next weekend. Small local event with a lot of backyarders.
Injected and seasoned the pork and brisket at 6pm the night before.
brisketprep.jpg

porkprep.jpg

2am Start the fire with my new best friend the weed burner.
fire.jpg
It got down to 40 degrees so I had my welders blanket draped over the cooker to help keep the temp. I really need to invest in a better cooker. Was up every hour to check temps.
By morning I was almost ready to pan and wrap then for the rest of the cook.
removal.jpg
Pork but was in the cooler in exactly 7hours. (This is were I start to loose focus). An hour later the brisket was probe tender and let rest for 30min before cutting the point off the make burnt ends.
point.jpg
Then it was around 1pm when the rest of the team shows up. We quickly cut the point up and started the burnt ends. Then went out to unload his cooker and get his fire started. During this time I should have been pulling the pork that had already sat for the hour I wanted it to. So the pork ended up sitting for 2.5 hours before I realized I had forgotten. So the bone pulls right out and overall its a good but except for a little overdone on the money muscle. So prep the ribs and whole chickens for his cooker and next thing I know the brisket that was only suppose to be in the cooler for 2 hours ends up in for 3.5 hours.
brisket2.jpg
Flavor was good but a little dry. Nice smoke ring and putting the cuts in the drippings helped. but still wish I had gotten it out sooner.
As for the ribs and chicken. We need to do some mods on his charbroil to get even temps. Not able to keep a good temp on it yet. Had to finish the chickens on the chargriller but at least we know what we have to do.
tourch.jpg
Had a blast with this though. Probably woke the neighbors up at 2am and 4am and 7am..lol
dcoyle4040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoyle4040 View Post
It's difficult to tell in the photo, but it appears you sliced that with the grain rather than across the grain.

If you slice across the grain it will appear far more tender.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
dcoyle4040
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmad View Post
It's difficult to tell in the photo, but it appears you sliced that with the grain rather than across the grain.

If you slice across the grain it will appear far more tender.
Thanks. I was across the grain for sure. I is tough to tell in the photos. I took a close up but it came out blurry. The first brisket photo is the point before I cubed it.
dcoyle4040 is offline   Reply With Quote