MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Cbass
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Chicken Injection

I am looking to do 2 chickens today. I am going to rub one, but I recently got an injector and want to give that a try for the 2nd one.

Can someone share a good basic injector recipe. As much as I would like to spice it up, it is going to have to be kid friendly....

Thanks in advance
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Just do a brine. Easy to find here or anywhere on the net.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I actually like to inject strained italian dressing into the ones I cook at home. Then, I rub the strained bits all over the skin so it doesn't go to waste.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Cbass
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have brined plenty, I was just looking to try something different. I kind of like the Italian dressing idea, thanks.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Margarita mix

Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Apple juice or just plain chicken stock

Old 08-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
swamprb

Chicken noodle soup mix.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Just do a brine. Easy to find here or anywhere on the net.
Yes, I prefer a brine. I did a whole chicken last night, and brined it with sea salt, turbinado sugar, and fresh herbs. I stuffed the bird with herbs and onions.

I have found that brining chickens and turkeys works out better than injecting. I get a more tender and juicy bird, and the herb flavors are just right -- I can taste the herbs, but it doesn't overpower the meat.

Oh, when I brine, I don't put any rub or seasonings on the skin before cooking. I also use a rotisserie most of the time, but I've done brined turkeys without the rotisserie.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe some Lea Perrins chicken marinade thinned with some water.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I only inject chickens with Paul Newman's Italian dressing. I coat under the skin with Cajun lemon pepper seasoning. I also inject chicken wings with the same method and refrigerate for 24hrs before smoking. Chicken skin is like a wet suit, I attack it with a needle
Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Smokeass
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had good luck injecting with creole butter, the kind you sometimes see in the grocery store.
16' Homemade comp trailer, [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red]Pitmaker BBQ Safe[/COLOR][/FONT], Homemade offset patio smoker, 22" Weber Kettle, [COLOR=magenta]Proud owner of the ugliest UDS Ever aka. Frank.[/COLOR]
Smokeass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Look for some Stubbs injectable marinade. Solves many needs all in one easy step. Many flavors. The only time I would inject is if my brine wasn't effective enough to win a contest. Since that never happens, I rarely do it.Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote