MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Question for those that have successfully done the Night Train Brisket....

Tomorrow i am going to do my second attempt of the night train brisket. first attempt i messed up somehow and it wasnt very tender.

i dont have really huge foil, so it was tough to wrap it. one piece of foil fit under it and i just curled up the edges and then put foil over it and around it. i figured that large bottom piece would hold the drippings whiel the others sealed it. it prolly had 2-3 layers of foil.

is this ok or is that much foil going to hinder the experiment?

OR

can i use a foil pan instead? plop it in a foil pan and cover it up with foil. woudl this work the same?

thanks!

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

do that.... but barbefunkoramaque would know more about this... alas, he is dead though.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Do what? The foil as done the first time or the foil pan?

Yes. I wish he could give me the answer... Or a sign...

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Disposable pan will do just fine.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

um, is this enough of a sign?

Now lay that brisket fat up on a sheet of foil (has to be foil) and lay another sheet over it and seal the edges tight.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

I use the big foil pans and the lids that come with them, or if the lid won't fit, then alum foil for the top.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

here's another....

Will read an experiment, try it but add their own twist to it, and bitch about why they didn’t like the experiment when it was their own twist that ruined it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
here's another....

Will read an experiment, try it but add their own twist to it, and bitch about why they didn’t like the experiment when it was their own twist that ruined it.
Speaking of this, LOL, snap, do you remember the guy that wrote a review on my soulbread and he said he didn't like it and he used canola instead of olive oil and butter, 2 % instead of milk, skipped the whole Rick Astley and I think even screwed up the onions. He maybe even used Martha White.

I remember being so pissed about that.

U sign a pan will be fine but not as good basically cuz the meat is not as snug. LOL
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

The only thing in the way of doing it right is 13 cents worth of foil.

Go to the store get some foil ya cheap SOB! lol

Note: I did the Night Trail some time back when I was learnin and did it the way it said to and it came out perfect.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Speaking of this, LOL, snap, do you remember the guy that wrote a review on my soulbread and he said he didn't like it and he used canola instead of olive oil and butter, 2 % instead of milk, skipped the whole Rick Astley and I think even screwed up the onions. He maybe even used Martha White.

I remember being so pissed about that.

U sign a pan will be fine but not as good basically cuz the meat is not as snug. LOL
i do remember.

but i think it was barbefunkoramaque that was so pissed.

Pitmaster T is a gentler, more forgiving soul.

anyway, dirty...do a search, follow the instructions. as instructed.

don't know if ya know, but donnie can farkin cook AND instruct how. i for sure KNOW.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Cool

That Night Train is a mean wine !!!!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 10-21-2011 at 08:07 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
here's another....

if you had read correctly you would have seen that i used foil the first time. i wasnt sure if it was my smallish foil that messed up the experiment. i followed the directions word for word.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
um, is this enough of a sign?

Now lay that brisket fat up on a sheet of foil (has to be foil) and lay another sheet over it and seal the edges tight.

so i guess i will go out and buy different foil. hopefully the supermarket has a bigger size. once i lay a sheet under and a sheet over, there is not enough slack left to seal the edges.

the first time, the bottom foil i was able to fold a quarter of the way up the sides of the brisket. then since i couldnt lay a sheet over and seal, i put sheets of foil wrapped around it to try and seal it. but i had about 3 layers when it was done.

the reason i think he says "has to be foil" is for the whole running joke about people trying to substitute other things for foil bc they run from foil like its bad for you. a foil pan is foil. however i wasnt sure if they wider space inside the 'foil' contraption would make it different.

with that being said, i will go out to the store and get bigger foil. hopefully i dont have to waste my day going to restaurant depot to do the trick.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 10-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

cancel all that. got 18" foil. im good to go.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Very important! Don't forget when you probe make sure that the item you use is what you are going to use from jow on! And take special care to remember that feel!!!! I like to use a cake tester. You can get em cheap at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or most any place that specializes in kitchen stuff.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote