MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Tips for Backwoods Party in Competition

I just bought a Backwoods Party from Steve Ownby that he needed to clear out to make room for his new Southern Pride. My idea was to use it for contests far away that are cost prohibitive for our full catering truck/mobile kitchen rig.

Any tips for using this cooker in KCBS competition from those who own one? It wasn't particularly easy getting the Party into the back of my Explorer with the two of us. I could use some ideas on loading as well as cooking setup.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Get yourself a guru for it. I run a guru with 4 river rocks in the water pan and a bit of water. I can cook the entire contest cook on one load of charcoal
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Stlbbqstore
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post

Any tips for using this cooker in KCBS competition from those who own one? It wasn't particularly easy getting the Party into the back of my Explorer with the two of us. I could use some ideas on loading as well as cooking setup.
BBQ Guru either a DIgiQ II or PitMinder is a great add on but I would suggest you try the cooker w/o the Guru, it runs great on it's own.
As far as transporting goes you can have a removable stand/hitch rack made for the Party.
Here is a link to some pics of a Fatboy model that I had made several months ago.
http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/foru...pic.php?t=1644
[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Authorized Dealer[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] for Yoder Smokers /RipTangle Smokers / Humphrey's Smokers / Backwoods Smokers / Shirley Fab / T&K Smokers / Gateway Drum Smokers /Meadow Creek / Camp Chef / Alfa Ovens / Green Mountain Grills / Kamado Joe / Memphis Grills / PK Grills / Blaze Gas Grills / Pit Barrel Cooker
[COLOR="Black"][B]Visit our Website[/B][/COLOR] - [URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.stlbbqstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"][B]Like us on Facebook[/B] - [/COLOR][URL="https://[URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.facebook.com/stlbbqstore[/URL]
Stlbbqstore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I just bought a Backwoods Party from Steve Ownby that he needed to clear out to make room for his new Southern Pride. My idea was to use it for contests far away that are cost prohibitive for our full catering truck/mobile kitchen rig.

PM KC Bobby. He has a lot of BWS Party experience.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

As the others have said, I used to use a Party for comps and loved it. It was easy to transport, and it was basically set it and forget it for about 5-6 hours. Mine was stock and I did not use a guru or anything like that.

Like Matt says, KC Bobby has lots of info on the Party.

Congrats on getting one of the best cookers on the market!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Did it fit nicely in the truck, or was your difficulty in picking it up and placing it in the truck?

I transport mine on it's back in my van.

I have found that a scrap piece of plywood helps the BWS slide in and protects it (sorta like a shoe horn). Place (or strap) the plywood to the back of the smoker & tilt it on to the tailgate. Then just lift and slide it in.

You'll obviously want to empty your waterpan (and probably your ashes).

Does your ash pan slide in and out nicely, or do you have to lift it over a lip before removing? I have (had) to lift my ash pan over a lip. I ended up using a couple pieces of angle iron to make some rails to rest my ash pan on. Now, the ash pan slides in and out much easier (no lifting).

Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
When we had a Party, we also had a Gator. So we had two Backwoods going. Many people with Party's say an entire KCBS comp can be cooked on one - but I don't fit into that segment. It's not that I doubt those people - I'm sure it can be done but it's gonna limit the amount of food to cook.

First thing is to increase useable space, if the Party only came with 6 sliders add in some more. Easy to do with some basic U brackets and sheet metal screws. Add them above the second slider and the fith sider. This will allow the use of 4 racks at 6" apart (plenty of space for butts and packers) instead of the 4" factory spacing - giving you one more rack when cooking those items. See our website and picture section to get an idea then feel free to ask questions if needed.

As far as loading it in the back of an Explorer, I don't know. But I was able to load it into my pick up no problem by myself just by standing it up about 3-4" away from the tailgate, leaning it on the tailgate and lifting the bottom up so it would slide on it's back. The Party weighs about 140 lbs, so by using a pivot point on the back it's easily managable. But if you have back problems, this might not be your best option. Are you able to get all your gear in the Explorer or will you be taking a trailer? If it doesn't have casters, I highly advise getting a 2 wheel pneumatic dolly to move the Party around, it makes it a breeze in grass, rock, stairs, mogels, etc.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

Get yourself a guru for it. I run a guru with 4 river rocks in the water pan and a bit of water. I can cook the entire contest cook on one load of charcoal

Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Bobby pretty much said it all but I will throw in a couple of things I cooked comps last year with a party and a weber which was just for the chicken so it definitely can be done. I have Bobby's old party with the additional rail and it does help and is a cheap addition that I would recommend. As far as loading I use a piece of carpet on my tailgate and just lean the party up against it and lift no problem loading it by myself.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an Explorer and have been able to transport my Party in it, although I have a trailer for use in competition. I think for competition, it would be a stretch to bring the Party plus everything else you need in an Explorer. I would get a small trailer if possible.

I have used the Party in four contests so far. I have been able to do the entire contest, cooking ribs, pork and brisket in the Party and grilling the chicken. In these cases, I have done 2 butts, 1 packer brisket and four racks of spares. Plenty of room for this in the Party. Did 2 briskets at one of the contests.

I use the Guru DigiQ2, and it works great.

The only issue I have encountered is that the water pan runs dry pretty quickly, 5-6 hours. I plan on having some kind of water feeding system in place next year.

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Haven View Post
The only issue I have encountered is that the water pan runs dry pretty quickly, 5-6 hours. I plan on having some kind of water feeding system in place next year.
on my Party 5-6 hrs is usually when I have to replenush charcoal anyway so its no biggie to have to fill up water then as well

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Bout The Q View Post

Extended Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

yEAH , THAT WASN'T MY POST, BILL....I CAN'T GET ANYMORE THAN 5 OR 6 HOURS ON A LOAED PARTY. EITHER..I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE ROCKS...
Lion Bout The Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
the entire contest on one load of coal?? thats seems a bit of a stretch on a Party ..how long you cooking your butts and brisket for?

I have seen him cook that long a few times now. Maybe by using the Guru it helps control the burn, therefore you get longer cooks on less coal. 5 or 6 hours is really really poor in my opinion. I will for sure not buy a BWS with those stats.

My gurued WSM can cook 12+ hours on 1 load of charcoal, with 2 briskets or 2-4 butts on it. 5 or 6 hours is a joke.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

I use 4 large river rocks and wrap them in foil (to keep them clean). They retain heat and seem to help reduce water loss. Since adding the DigiQ, I can load a full basket of charcoal, light my fire around 10 PM, cook 2 butts, a full packer, 4 racks of spare ribs, and then crank the heat up and cook 18 pieces of chicken at almost 300*...one one load of Rancher.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote