MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

There's and old saying, "It's done, when it's done." That being said, here are a few things to looks for...

1. Shoot for a temp of about 190 degrees.

2. Stick your temperature probe into the thickest part of the brisket. If it slides in with almost no resistance (like you were sticking it into semi-melted butter) it's done.

3. Wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler (No ICE!) for at least an hour.

4. Slice and eat!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
Steeb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
I agree with Mista, no sugar, S&P.

Medium to Medium Well is a steak setting. Forget it. Medium brisket would be tough. I won't even say Well Done, for that is a steak term. You want temperature

Personally, I would take it up to 165* internal, wrapp in foil after spraying thouroughly with apple juice, then return to the grill until you reach 190* internal.

I would then remove and place, still wrapped in foil, in an empty cooler. If none available, then two targe towels wrapped around it will work.

After about 2 hours or so, CAREFULLY unwrap. It should be juicy, possibly very juicy.

Open in a pan to retain those Au Jus juices.

Slice to pencil width thickness (if it doesnt just fall apart )

Enjoy!
So that's what the cooler's for in all of those 3-2-1 methods. Makes sense - I was thinking you were putting the meat in the fridge (yeah, sounds dumb now, but I figured you guys knew what you were doing.)

Thanks for the lesson on the temp. I'll probably do just as you said above. Now I need to go out and buy a thermometer (should have had this already) and a spray bottle for the apple juice. I'm excited - this is gonna be fun.

Just to clarify, you're recommending 275*-300* rather than a lower (225-250*) cooking temp for this, right?
Steeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post
Just to clarify, you're recommending 275*-300* rather than a lower (225-250*) cooking temp for this, right?
For Brisket no Pork Loin yea
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

If you can get 225*, go for it!!

I have a hard time keeping below 250* in my kettle, so thats why I suggested the higher amounts.

You will need to add a couple "lit" coals during the cook no mater what to maintain your temp range.

Pyrex probe thermometers are $15 at Meijer.

Sometimes people will even run hot water in their cooler, to "pre warm" it, but this shouldn't be necessary. The point is to just bring down the temps slowly. I leave the probe in there, and keep the thermometer on the top of the cooler. When I see 160-165*, I know its cool enough to slice without burning my fingers!!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #20
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq View Post
For Brisket no Pork Loin yea

I actually cook all of them the same way.

Chusck roasts, pork loins, briskets, pork butts, all of them

165*-Wrap-190*-Cooler-160ish-Eat

Thats just me, but its harder to fark up temps when I treat them all the same.

Besides, I'm sometimes 10 hours into a case of beer too

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #21
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
If this is your first brisket, I would keep the seasonings simple so you have a frame of reference for future briskets. Salt, pepper and maybe some garlic powder. Fat cap down to protect the bottom. Trim off the really hard parts of the fat but leave everything else. Keep the brisket as far away from the heat as possible. Take lots of pictures and post them here.
Post if you need help. We will be happy to give you pointers and walk you thru it.
When the guys see this long post their gonna do this but I love brisket so im gonna give you my 411.
First off I agree with both Mista's posts, secondly if this is your first brisket chances are you may screw it up so be prepared (I screwed up like 5 before I got an edible one). Stick with the basics and listen to what the guys have said and yours may be great the first time around. LOL, I didn't have the Brethren for guidance when I started out so your lucky Steeb .

But as far as brisket goes, use a simple rub...salt, pepper, garlic powder. Or buy a commercial rub from the store or a butcher shop that specialized in brisket or beef. I would not use sugar!!! in my opinion brisket gains nothing by being sweet and the sugar will just blacken anyway. Depending how long you want to fool with it I would cook it low and slow. 225 for about 1.5 hours per pound. Use a meat thermometor to gauge the internal temp but don't go through the point, insert it through the side into the thickest part of the flat going all the way into the center (if you have no idea what im talking about just post a reply, someone will fill you in). When it hits 190-195 its done, carry over heat will take it up another 3-5 degrees. Or another very smart way you can tell is take a metal or wooden skewer and stick it into the flat next to your probe thermometor when it startes to reach these temps. When it goes in like your running it through room temp butter its done! If you feel any resistance, even the slightest let it keep cooking. Check it every 3 degrees after 190.

I hope it turns out well man. I would buy a whole brisket if you can find it and cut a lot of the fat off in between the point and the flat then smoke it like you would anything else. If your short on time try the fast method listed above, 325-350 and it should be done in about 5-6 hours but the internal temp test is a must!!. Good luck brother and post a pic of the finished product. We all love to sound smart and feel even better when our advice helps someone turn out some great Q OK, im done rambling and being a know it all I swear. Boy I love this place!!!!!!

OH FARK!!
P.S. You may know this already but im gonna tell ya anyway.....make sure, make sure, make sure that you slice it AGAINST the grain of the meat. You can tell by flipping it over and looking at which way the meat fibers run. I would cut off 1/2 inch of the tip so it helps you slice the correct way when it's cooked. So if the grain runs east and west, cut north and south. Ok I really am done now I swear.....

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
OH FARK!!
P.S. You may know this already but im gonna tell ya anyway.....make sure, make sure, make sure that you slice it AGAINST the grain of the meat. You can tell by flipping it over and looking at which way the meat fibers run. I would cut off 1/2 inch of the tip so it helps you slice the correct way when it's cooked. So if the grain runs east and west, cut north and south. Ok I really am done now I swear.....
Doh!!

I forgot one of the basic things!!

Good call Jordan.

I take 2 toothpick and at each end, about an inch in on the top, I will put the toothpick in on a down angle, with the grain.

I do the same at the other end, roughly parralel to the first one.

When the brisket is done, it has so warped, shrunk, deformed, etc, that the two toothpick can be almost in a V pattern (if long enough to touch)

I leave one in the one side, for I will only slice up half. Easy to cut across the grain and you know eactly where it is. Sometimes, the grain will change course, and you adjust your angle.

Good call!

The death of "willkat98"

Old 04-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #23
Steeb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. My head's spinning. I'm off to the store - hopefully I can find a fairly small brisket to start off with, since I'm sure I'll screw it up in some way or another (I always seem to do something wrong the first time.) I think you've armed me with enough info to get me by, but I'll be sure to post back if I run into any issues. While I'm thinking about it, let me clarify the wood thing: you're saying that I should not soak the wood chips (I'm using charcoal as the main fuel.) And with this method, do you still recommend a handful of chips every hour or so?

Thanks again, guys. Much appreciated!
Steeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post
So that's what the cooler's for in all of those 3-2-1 methods. Makes sense - I was thinking you were putting the meat in the fridge (yeah, sounds dumb now, but I figured you guys knew what you were doing.)

Thanks for the lesson on the temp. I'll probably do just as you said above. Now I need to go out and buy a thermometer (should have had this already) and a spray bottle for the apple juice. I'm excited - this is gonna be fun.

Hey, Steeb--here is another tip. Since you are cooking in your backyard, if you don't want to use a cooler, you can wrap your foiled brisket in a couple of heavy towels, and then just stick it in your micro-wave to rest.

[dont turn it on of course ]

One of the best uses I have found for a microwave.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
thirdeye

The last time I saw a brisket thread with this much good information was.... was...was, well it I'm sure it was right here. I think all you brisketeers have covered about everything from seasoning that chunk of chest until it goes into the cooler. Now two more questions. Do you add any liquid to the foil? How long do you like to leave it?

I add broth/aujus/wooster and like to let it sit for at least 4 hours.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Do you add any liquid to the foil? How long do you like to leave it?

I add broth/aujus/wooster and like to let it sit for at least 4 hours.
If I inject, I add leftover injection. Otherwise, I add whatever is handy. Apple Juice. Beer. Worsey. Bourbon. Tequilla. Whatever brings something to the party besides water.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #27
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Now two more questions. Do you add any liquid to the foil? How long do you like to leave it?
Quote:
Personally, I would take it up to 165* internal, wrapp in foil after spraying thouroughly with apple juice, then return to the grill until you reach 190* internal.
Quote:

Sometimes people will even run hot water in their cooler, to "pre warm" it, but this shouldn't be necessary. The point is to just bring down the temps slowly. I leave the probe in there, and keep the thermometer on the top of the cooler. When I see 160-165*, I know its cool enough to slice without burning my fingers!!
Caveat, I would leave it longer if I could stand to.

I grab my thick pork pulling rubber gloves and go to town.

The only thing this thread lacks is 3eye's pictorials

The death of "willkat98"

Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #28
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
The last time I saw a brisket thread with this much good information was.... was...was, well it I'm sure it was right here. I think all you brisketeers have covered about everything from seasoning that chunk of chest until it goes into the cooler.
Didnt see a beginner brisket kettle thread in the Roadmap, so this just got added.

Good call 3eye

The death of "willkat98"

Old 04-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
thirdeye

Quote:
Caveat, I would leave it longer if I could stand to.

I grab my thick pork pulling rubber gloves and go to town.

The only thing this thread lacks is 3eye's pictorials
Since we are are on a "drum roll" lately, here's one. I mean three. As long as you got a fire going anyway mod.

Quote:
Didnt see a beginner brisket kettle thread in the Roadmap, so this just got added.

Good call 3eye
Although not specifically geared to beginners, this is a good thread .....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #30
Bigmista

Wow! Never done 3 briskets on one shelf before. I've done 2 and 1 and just kept rotating them.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott