• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Nonstick pie pan for heat diffuser?

Bigjohnb20

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey, lurk a lot here but don't post much. But I've got a question for you guys. I've got a mini akorn kamado grill that I've been trying to find a good diffuser for. There is supposedly a plate setter available from chargriller but I've never been able to find one actually for sale for the mini.

I really want to use the mini for a small pork butt tomorrow so I picked up a pie pan and a 9in terra cotta drip tray today from ace. Is there a reason to use or not use either of these? The pie pan is coated with non stick and I'm a little worried about burning off the non stick coating on the pan. Is this a valid concern or will I be ok? I'd like to run aaround 300 but with the size of the mini the diffuser is right on top of the coals.

Thanks fir the help

I dont know if i would use it with the coating on it. But then again then put them in the oven at 400*

If sitting right on coals you might burn my the coating off, but if its just "in" the cooker you should be fine. Baking temps are hotter than smokin temps!

Ok. While not sitting ON the coals it will be just a couple inches above them. So what about the terra cotta saucer? Any issues with that?

I don't use non-stick pans, except for ceramic, as I found out, when my brother owned parrots, that anything over about 200°F and the parrots would get sick or die. Decided that I don't care what other people say, parrots die from moderate heat and non-stick, I can do without.

Use a pie pan and wrap it with foil. Or, just use a few layers of heavy duty aluminum foil as a diffuser, it works.

Back