• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wanting a larger smoker

mep

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Currently I'm using a big green egg but I want to get a larger smoker. The ones that I have been looking at are the Pitmaker Safe and the Assassin smoker. I know that the safe is more of a direct/indirect fire and the assassin is a gravity feed indirect fire, are there any pluses and/or downsides to either one?

Right now I am leaning towards the Assassin. Let me hear your opinions.

go the stickburner route.. no smoker beats the flavor of a good old school stickburner..

Don't know about the Assassin smoker but the Pitmaker Safe is a great smoker. It holds temp well for hours and everything come off there is exellent once you get your smoker seasoned.

Check out lonestargrillz.com . They have a good looking insulated vertical and if it's like their other pits then they're reasonably priced as well! :wink: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7UjmvXaH0"]Lone Star Grillz Insulated Smoker 002 - YouTube[/ame]

I was actually wanting information regarding the merits of the two different types of smokers more than the brands.

Save yourself a bunch of money and build a uds.
Or you could order one from big poppas smokers with some of that fantastic rub.
Which flavor rub do you like on chicken?
I am using a citrus rub with cayenne currently.
I will try to post some pictures later.
When you get your drum build, post up some pics.
jon

Save yourself a bunch of money and build a uds.
Or you could order one from big poppas smokers with some of that fantastic rub.
Which flavor rub do you like on chicken?
I am using a citrus rub with cayenne currently.
I will try to post some pictures later.
When you get your drum build, post up some pics.
jon

Sounds like Jon's pretty sure you're gonna build a UDS.

I was actually wanting information regarding the merits of the two different types of smokers more than the brands.

I too have looked at Pitmaker and the Assassin 28. I am pretty confined I will go with the Assassin based on what I've read here and on the web. Overall, Pitmaker appears to make a solid product, but some people complain about runaway temps. Although it looks like that's close to being solved with the new ball valve system.

I really like Assassin because I've read that the builder, Jeff (?) also builds Rebel and Superior and that Assassin is his own brand. He has taken what he likes and combines the best of the products to produce his. If you read about Superior or Rebel smokers, the owners all love their unit.

I have yet to call Assassin or see one in action, but my lengthy research and initial impression leads me to believing i will be buying one fairly soon.

What kind of Q are you wanting to cook?

Both have their strong points. The Pitmaker is MUCH more solid. I would compare the Pitmaker to a Stumps, not an Assassin.

What kind of Q are you wanting to cook?

Both have their strong points. The Pitmaker is MUCH more solid. I would compare the Pitmaker to a Stumps, not an Assassin.

Not sure id agree on that latter sentence. Assassin is built just as good as any Stump the more I have looked into it talking to what metals and what processes they both go through to built their's. There is no difference. Pitmaker I definitely agree with, a lot heavier steel and a good bit more stainless steel.

I am in the OP's same boat though. I was really leaning towards the Pitmaker Vault due to the construction but the biggest downfall for me right now is its weight and height. I can't fit inside a 6x12 enclosed. I have a friend bringing over his big pitmaker trailer that Pitmaker has on their website so I can cook on the vault all weekend. I have to say though right now, the customer service with Jeff Conway and Assassin has been far superior. George finally answered my long email but has not with my followup, I understand they have been blowing up on tv but I figured they would still want my order and be proactive with others answering emails. This is just from my experience. The assassin holds more for the 28 and its about $1300 cheaper than the Vault after you add the zinc primer/paint, extra ball valves and shipping. I would go pick up the assassin since I am only 5 hours away. Its really coming down to who wants to earn my business and unfortunately it is a business and Jeff and his daughter communicate and made it clear they would fix anything even after the warranty date. That right there makes a world of difference, I havent talked to George due to communcation issues to get that feeling yet. I hear that are great guys from my friend but I have to go on what I have experienced with the question/answer preliminary leading up to the sell.

cabinet smokers : superior, stumps, backwoods, assassin, humphrey's, lonestar grillz, dw's kountry kookers, and backyard bombers bbq who makes the MJH. When I was trying to decide, my two top contenders were superior and the MJH. Sounds like you're pretty set on the assassin. Let us know how it turns out.

I was pretty interested in Pitmaker but when I sent an email asking for a shipping quote so I could finalize some budgeting on my end I never received back a response. I like doing business with companies that want to do business with me.

I was pretty interested in Pitmaker but when I sent an email asking for a shipping quote so I could finalize some budgeting on my end I never received back a response. I like doing business with companies that want to do business with me.

Well I got the shipment quote, but I still needed more answers to questions. Its been three weeks and only one response to half my questions, at least I know the total for the most part. Your's sounds like my experience, hopefully its not a trend. The more I read its not me the more I begin backing off. I hate it because it looks like the Vault is awesome and again ive heard good things about the three guys but it's not adding up in my experience so far with finalizing a business sell.

Back