Number of contest sauces?

2 now, used to be 3

Attachments

• bbqsauce.jpg
    bbqsauce.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 59
We hand make a series of sauces to build on our flavor profile. Each sauce is used at a different point in the process. We also build a custom finishing sauce for each box that is applied as a thin mist just before closing the box. This is a highly aromatic "sauce" that helps pull in the "nose" of our product.

We also dip all of our parsley in a handmade small batch sauce made with local and organic ingredients including honey from bees that I raise myself. I have a deep and personal relationship with every ingredient that I use in each of the 23 different sauces that we use to build our flavor profile in our finished product.

I also age several of my sauces in barrels that were used to formerly age Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. Sauces age anywhere from 1 week to 5 years and then our master blender mixes each sauce to taste right before our boxes are put together. That is why we are always the last team to get our boxes turned in.

I assume you are using the Pappy 20 year.....otherwise you're doing it wrong

I use 3 sauces in variations. 1 sauce is used just in case something gets over smoked as it strips the level of smoke flavor.

not even close.

IMHO, sauces and rubs arent the secret to winning. Cooking a perfect piece if meat and getting that meat to still be perfect when it gets judges is the secret.

My advice for a first time competitor, order Smoking guns hot and Blues Hog. Just use that on everything. Inject with Butchers as directed. Maybe no sauce on brisket, depending on where you live.

Dont go crazy doctoring. If you want to get some of the Smoking guns finishing powder. Put that on everything right before you close the box.

If you do that you will know where your cooking stands because your taste scores are going to be pretty good. I am not saying you will win with that flavor, but your arent going to kill yourself either.

Great advice, except on the gun powder. DO NOT use the gun powder unless you are 100% ready. Go just a little to heavy...... your scores will go WAY down.

Too easy to screw yourself with it, for a novice. Don't ask me how I know. :tape:

One sauce…used straight up on one category and doctored differently for 2 other categories. No sauce for brisket.

Back