MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Got a pork shoulder in freezer right now

Plan on sticking it on the UDS Friday night. How many days should it take to thaw out in fridge should I go ahead and put it in fridge tonight?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put it in the fridge as soon as you get home. Depending on how cold your fridge is, it may not thaw out by Fri. evening, in which case you can put under slowly running cold water in a pot (and still wrapped) to finish it thawing.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, if it's more than a few pounds, it needs to start thawing now (in the fridge, of course.)

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah put in fridge ASAP and if you're lucky you'll be smoking on Friday night!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

If I'm thawing on the day of, I always thaw my meats in a clean sink or dishwashing container, in COLD water. It works pretty well.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Drop it into a bucket of water and put in the fridge today. I started thawing a butt Wed last week using this method and it was thawed by Fri. morning.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Stevieg891
Got Wood.

What's wrong with sitting it out in the sink and letting it thaw out normally? Why put it in water and stick it in the fridge?
Stevieg891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieg891 View Post
What's wrong with sitting it out in the sink and letting it thaw out normally? Why put it in water and stick it in the fridge?
Basic food safety, keeping it in the sink for a long time will have it sitting in the danger zone for bacteria to grow. Keeping it in the fridge doesn't slow the thaw time much and is a lot safer.
[/B]Loser of Known Space

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Stevieg891
Got Wood.

Gotcha. I usually buy them thawed and come home and cook them the next day so I've never thawed one, but in case I do I'll try the water in the fridge.
Stevieg891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

Last pork picnic I thawed took 4 days.
If it's still frozen, put it in a large pot and run cold water over it.
If it's still a bit frozen in the middle when you're ready to cook it, it's fine.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Basic food safety, keeping it in the sink for a long time will have it sitting in the danger zone for bacteria to grow. Keeping it in the fridge doesn't slow the thaw time much and is a lot safer.
I'll agree with everything except the thaw time. I've had stuff in the fridge for 4 or 5 days that won't have thawed, and it would thaw overnight in the sink or on the counter. I try to not do that any more than I have to, though

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I'll agree with everything except the thaw time. I've had stuff in the fridge for 4 or 5 days that won't have thawed, and it would thaw overnight in the sink or on the counter. I try to not do that any more than I have to, though
If its just in the fridge it can take quite a while, but if you submerge it in water and then put it in the fridge it will thaw much more quickly. I've thawed a 22 lb turkey which was frozen solid in 3-days using this method. The cold water will thaw things much faster than even setting it out on the counter at room temperature.
[/B]Loser of Known Space

Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
funugy
Take a breath!

I've thawed meats every which way, and many of them are the "wrong" way, but I am still alive. I agree with everyone and their recommendations as far as doing it the safe way, in the fridge, or quickly under cold running water.

I am however intrigued with the submerged in water in the fridge method. I like the basic idea, but I wonder for those of you that have used this method is it possible to use a brine to submerge the meat in? Any draw backs by using brine instead of plain water? I'm really curious as I have never seen or done this, and I recently (thanks to this forum) started brining my chicken before smoking, and have seen some threads with regards to brining pork.

Thanks
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote