Does it really make a difference?

That's the way I do it too. Heat the skillet of oil up in the oven, then add the hot oil to the batter, pour the batter back into the hot skillet and there ya go.
Love it!! :grin:

Cuz,if THAT does not convince you,there is no hope.:grin:

Wouldn't that 'cook' the batter as soon as the oil hits it?
Kinda like pouring hot butter into a bunch of flour for a bread recipe....

not if you stir fast. :mrgreen: lol just kidding,
It really isn't that hot, not hot enough to cook it. It blends in just right and the bottom of the cornbread has a nice little crust to it. I love it that way. :grin:

Never, ever, ever (NEVER) cook tomato sauce in a seasoned cast iron pot! I had a large frying pan messed up years ago by "someone" doing spaghetti sauce in this skillet and leaving the sauce in the pan. Stripped it down to bare metal. I have since salvaged/reseasoned the pan but can still fell a ridge on the sides. The original seasoning was probably 15 years old...and it's been about 15 years since the "accident". Take care of your cast iron. Don't be able to tell a sad story like mine! :twisted: :mrgreen:

chad, have you tried getting that CI skillet White Hot (approx. 1000*F.) ?

We did blackened red fish at HH and were able to cook scrambled eggs and bacon the next day with no fish taste. It does take some of the seasoning away but it builds back. The skillet is still good.

IMNSHO, it matters!, and yet it doesn't.:wink:

Mom made some really fine cornbread in an' ole well seasoned stamped steel skillet that was missin' it's handle. Po folks make do ya know.:wink: However well heated and seasoned CI makes it easier.:tongue:

I only need small amounts of cornbread now due to my current family circumstances and IMOSHO I make good cornbread in a non-stick muffin pan with the proppa technique.

Preheated and properly oiled pans are the secret. Also you have to have some extra heated oil to drop into the batter.:wink::wink:

While I'm well sauced I'll mention my secret cornbread recipe.

Buy a bag of Aunt Jemina's Corn meal mix and follow the recipe on the bag using the buttermilk recipe except you omit the egg. Per DeGuerre, Do Not use any sugar. That's corn cake.:mmph:

That's it. You'll never want for sugared cornbread agin'.:tongue::tongue:

I was reading an earlier thread pertaining to cornbread and several folks jumped in and said to cook it in a cast iron skillet. Does it really make a difference? Is it the taste, texture or both. Gonna try it for myself and see what I think, but thought I'd run it past those "that know" in the mean time.

I don't claim to be in the know, but I do know that an iron skillet makes a difference. Why? Because it holds a lot of heat, and dishes it back out to the batter, forming that nice crust. Why does that matter? Well, the crust is nice to chew on, and right inside the crust, the cornbread gets all that much sweeter because of something called the Maillard reaction. Not sure what that is, but I think it has something to do with making stuff taste better, and it just isn't the same without rocket hot cast iron.

Never, ever, ever (NEVER) cook tomato sauce in a seasoned cast iron pot! I had a large frying pan messed up years ago by "someone" doing spaghetti sauce in this skillet and leaving the sauce in the pan. Stripped it down to bare metal. I have since salvaged/reseasoned the pan but can still fell a ridge on the sides. The original seasoning was probably 15 years old...and it's been about 15 years since the "accident". Take care of your cast iron. Don't be able to tell a sad story like mine! :twisted: :mrgreen:

That's interesting. I've never heard that before.

What would be the preferred method of cooking tomatoes? Assuming once I buy a cast iron skillet or two and junk my teflons. Stainless steel?

That's the way I do it too. Heat the skillet of oil up in the oven, then add the hot oil to the batter, pour the batter back into the hot skillet and there ya go.
Love it!! :grin:

I actually like to heat up a couple of table spoons of bacon grease/lard in a skillet that get's preheated in a 450* oven for 30 minutes and pour the corn bread batter right into the skillte and put it right back into the oven.

Makes for a great crust to the the bread and you really can't get the taste and texture from any other cooking method IMO.

That's interesting. I've never heard that before.

What would be the preferred method of cooking tomatoes? Assuming once I buy a cast iron skillet or two and junk my teflons. Stainless steel?

Ive never heard of this either, what I have heard is that the CI pot/pan will give the tomato sauce a slight color(it gets darker than normal) and also it adds iron(this is good for people iron deficiency's) to the sauce.

It seems like some people are unaware of how the seasoning(basically oiling your pot/pan and heating it until it is black) works on a cast iron pot/pan. There is alchemy going on in that pot/pan of yours when you add oil. Unlike any other pot/pan the oil actually bonds with the cast iron when heat is applied, it does not pool up and sit on top of the pot/pan. The oil fills the pores in the cast iron and this is signified by its black color, because the pores are filled with oil it now has a non-stick surface. Once you have your pot/pan seasoned, NEVER EVER USE SOAP TO WASH IT, this destroys your seasoning by removing the oil from the cast iron.

To clean it, use hot water and sea salt if you need an abrasive to clean out any gunk. Pat it dry with a paper towel and then reheat it on the stove top, when the pot/pan is hot again add a THIN layer of oil all over the cooking surface of your pot/pan, if you are quick you can use a paper towel to smear it on the walls of your pot.

Soap is blasphemy on cast iron.

Back