MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Default What's a good price for knife sharpening?

I have a local farmers market and at the event is a knife sharpener. I spoke with him and he showed off a cheap $1 knife he claims to have sharpened over a year ago and only uses a steel on it since. Seemed extremely sharp and he demonstrated it cutting a paper think slice on a tomato with ease.

I was impressed and thought that my home knives could use a good sharpening. His price is $1 per inch. I have around 35 inches worth of knives to sharpen and seems like a reasonable price to me.

what do you guys think?

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Seems reasonable; but it really doesn't matter how long ago he sharpened it - it'll hold an edge forever if you're not using it.

If I'm going to have my knives professionally sharpened - I better be able to shave with them when they're done.

What type of steel are your knives? If they are cheap stainless or a softer metal - I wouldn't bother. I'd only pay to have more expensive knives with good steel professionally sharpened. Generally knives that hold an edge longer means it's harder to sharpen.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
DJnKY
On the road to being a farker

Buy a Lansky or "lansky type" (Gatco) sharpener for that kind of money, and your set for life. But that isn't a bad price for sharpening.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I had some kitchen knives sharpened locally for $0.50 per inch (60 for serrated) last summer. But they did a piss poor job But my knives aren't real high quality either

Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance0623 View Post
Generally knives that hold an edge longer means it's harder to sharpen.
Other way around in my expierence. I have a set of wusthof classic that hold an edge you can shave with and keep that on a steel as needed (easy).

Also if you learn to do it you can change the angle to your preference.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
el_matt
Babbling Farker

One of our local chain Supermarkets does them for free, and you get what you pay for.

There is a cutlery shop near my work that charges a flat rate of $3. He did a great job on my 8" chefs knife(one of the ones that the market "sharpened"), and my Dexter scimitar.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
What's a good price for knife sharpening?
The better question is . . .

"What's the price for good knife sharpening?"

I have no idea. I've sharpened mine by hand with a wetstone since I was a kid in scouts.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

$1.00 an inch for quality sharpening is a pretty standard rate.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

If you want a sharp knife, assuming it's quality steel, get a set of waterstones and finish with leather and polish to remove the burr (critical step for true razor quality that is even slightly durable). Not promoting one business over another (you can google and price shop easily), but here's a place that has everything and is really good about advice over the phone: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...ing-tools.aspx

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

To the question at hand. 1.00 seems to be about right, in your area I would think there are a few good sharpeners who will do a good job. I would learn to do them myself, it really is not so hard. Or have this guy work on one of your knives and give it a try.

If these are inexpensive knives I would not bother to have them professionally sharpened, unless they have been really abused and lost their profile.

Cheaper steal is easier too sharpen and therefor easier to keep an edge with more frequent use of a steal. Better quality knives are a bit more difficult to put an edge on but will hold a better edge longer, again with regular uses of a steal.

I recommend buying a good steal and a leather stoup, no matter what the quality of your knives or if you have them sharpened, they will still need to be touched up between use.

A lot of people here use the gato or lansky, type, I recommend something different for personal preference reasons.
Dave

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
If you want a sharp knife, assuming it's quality steel, get a set of waterstones and finish with leather and polish to remove the burr (critical step for true razor quality that is even slightly durable).
Amen! This is all I need to shave with:

Start left finish on right
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

I just recently purchased an edge pro system. They are pricey but with what I was spending on sharpening it will pay for itself in about 2 years or less. I love it and it is really easy to use.
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
AZScott
Take a breath!

The Edge Pro is awesome. I think I did 9 knives on Sunday in about an hour, all with varying degrees of work to be done, and they are all silly sharp right now. I took several knives to 3000 grit and slicing a sheet of paper is like running it through warm butter.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

This is sort of what the topic is about. I had my pocket knife shapened at Bass Pro Shop, ONCE! I was 2-3 dollars. The old guy took too much off of 1 side of the blade. He used some type of belt grit sander. It almost ruined the dang knife. Took forever to fix. Like they said, You get what you pay for.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Frog
Got Wood.

there was a thread about sharpening recently. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140893 they have a recommended sharpener for DIY
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote