• Small Sunday Brisket

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Guys... Took a small brisket out the deepfreeze and smoked it up. The full packer was about 7 lbs.

The last one I did came out a little dry for my liking so I wanted to redeem myself. I also thought I'd jump in the deep end this time proving I got this brisket thing down so I decided to go no foil and see if I can still get a tender product.

Well it came out great! Very happy with it overall however there were a couple notes I've jotted for next time. These being to flip the meat a bit more next time cuz I smoked fat cap up so the meat side didn't get too much of a smoke ring. And I'm still on the fence if I think it came out a little too dark due to not foiling at all however I think I'm ok with it... I did see a vast improvement in the bark.

Well here's how it went.

Here's the cut (i didn't trim at all due to the small size)
ab943dba.jpg

bc3237aa.jpg

Injected the night before with some beef broth and rub
6ab937cb.jpg

2a46d8a3.jpg

Seasoned with my own Beef savory rub
697b7c72.jpg

5e738a15.jpg

7ac3a5ba.jpg

wrapped it up and threw it in the fridge overnight
4e6d999d.jpg

Took it out in the morning and sprinkled on a little more rub and set it to smoke at a steady 225 with some almond & lychee wood.
47299453.jpg

7e6e9b5d.jpg

1/2 way in...
20bbaaa1.jpg

Pretty much ready... Probing like "butta"
3dd3000b.jpg

After a 45 min rest i separated the point and the flat. It was pretty late so I thought I'd slice them both, no time for burnt ends today: (looks even smaller now)
fc6e9f0b.jpg

The Point... as you can see due to the meat side being down and the untrimmed fat cap there's wasn't much of a smoke ring... but it DID taste pretty farkin good.
56d0c63f.jpg

The Flat
6bc95f7a.jpg

All in all I think I'd consider this a success. They can only get better from here! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks for looking guys....
Cheers

Looks fantastic. Your Beef Savory Rub has my interest. Care to share any more info?

Looks good! In the pic after the overnight marinade I see a LOT of liquid - did that get pulled from the meat? If so, I would remove salt from the rub or not rub it that far in advance, all that liquid should be in the beef not the pan...

Looks fantastic. Your Beef Savory Rub has my interest. Care to share any more info?

Thanks Colonel... cant share the recipe unfortunately but it's a rub I like to keep fairly coarse with salt, b pepper, onion flakes, chilli flakes, and some other herbs and spices... very aromatic.

Indeed. It's beautiful.

7ac3a5ba.jpg

Thanks Guerry :thumb:

Looks good! In the pic after the overnight marinade I see a LOT of liquid - did that get pulled from the meat? If so, I would remove salt from the rub or not rub it that far in advance, all that liquid should be in the beef not the pan...

The fluid in the pan is the rest of the beef broth + rub that I didn't inject. Just threw it in the pan as a marinade as well.

Cheers!

That look great! Did you start the cooking in the roasting pan (as in the picture) or was that just to carry the meat to the smoker? If you DID start it in the pan, why and how long did you leave it there?

Little Dick

Rub has to be good cause I think I see fennel.....mmmmmmm

You are right sir... on both points! :thumb:

That look great! Did you start the cooking in the roasting pan (as in the picture) or was that just to carry the meat to the smoker? If you DID start it in the pan, why and how long did you leave it there?

Little Dick

Thanks Bro. No I didn't start it in the pan, was just to take it to the smoker. I did place the pan as a drip pan underneath the Brisket though.

Cheers

Back