Coffee and De Arbol Chili Crusted Pork Tenderloins - photo heavy

S

Smiter Q

Saturday I met up with an old friend. I made him a deal. He supplies the cold beer, lots of it... and I would provide the grub. When I got there he had 3 shelves nice and chilled in the beer fridge. We were off to a good start!!

The rub was courtesy of a Steve Raichlen recipe. It definitely had a strong coffee taste, but I wanted some more heat and dimension to it. So I added 1 teaspoon of De Arbol Chili powder, and a teaspoon of worcestershire powder. Rubbed the tenderloins with a little canola oil, then a few tablespoons of the rub. Set em in the refrig for 5 hours, and out on the counter for one more while the grill got ready. I also made his redeye gravy, and 30 blue cheese jalapeno poppers, dusted with the same rub over the cheese before wrapping with the bacon.

GREAT afternoon catching up, drinking cold beer, and grilling away. We were quite happy with how the pork came out. I pull my tenderloins off the grill at 140F. Raichlen's recipe(and others) say to pull at `160F... but I think that would be sheer nonsense!!:crazy: Not sure if there would even be any pink blush left at 160F. The crust was fine tasting with a good crunch/crisp. A little bitter(in a good way) due to the coffee grinds, and a softened level of heat. I would recommend this to folks that do not like too sweet of a rub or recipe. Can post if requested.

Had planned on taking a plated pic with the jalapenos, and the sauce over the pork... but... we were well into the first shelf of his fridge by then... if you know what I mean!! :cool:

Some photos of the day:

PRE PREP
CamerDec2010download070.jpg

RUBBED AND READY
CamerDec2010download074.jpg

CamerDec2010download078.jpg

TOP LAYER OF MY DOUBLE TIERED WEBER - BLUE CHEESE POPPERS!
CamerDec2010download080.jpg

DO I SMELL BACON??????
CamerDec2010download082.jpg

ON THE GRILL
CamerDec2010download085.jpg

PULLED AT 140F
CamerDec2010download089-1.jpg

AFTER A 10 MINUTE REST. THEY TASTED GREAT!
CamerDec2010download091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Great! How did you get the second grill grate on there? Was that a purchase or a mod for the weber?

Yep... it is a brick mod. I use 3. I love it especially when I cook whole chicken wings cause I put them under the jalapenos and the bacon grease drips on them while both cook. Gives em awesome flavor!

Okay that is perfectly executed.... glorious pink inside. Incredible! Anything else I would add and I would be violating my new code of trying my best to stop comparing food to female conquests and objectification.

Looks perfect!! Your bacon taster is a cutie too. :-D

came back for another look... did I bump into something?

Don't know if ya did or did not. But since this is back up front thought I would throw out the rub recipe.:becky:

COFFEE AND CHILE DE ARBOL RUB
Courtesy of Steve Raichien
3 tablespoons ground coffee
1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
**1 tsp chile DeArbol(or similar heat/smoke flavor chilepowder)
** scant 1 tsp worcestershire powder

(** were my personal additions)

--------------------------------------------------------

Redeye BBQ Sauce

Yield: Makes about 2 cups

1 slice bacon, finely chopped
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place the bacon and onion in a heavy saucepan cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the remaining ingredients and gradually bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, 10 minutes, whisking from time to time. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the Red Eye BBQ sauce recipe. I'm always looking for different and unusual sauce recipes and I think that one is a keeper.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the Red Eye BBQ sauce recipe. I'm always looking for different and unusual sauce recipes and I think that one is a keeper.

I used some of this leftover sauce on an Italian sausage and onion hoagie this afternoon. I enjoyed it on that too.:thumb:

Back