Brined Thighs on the Egg

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thighs in the Brine for about 3 hours, 1c Kosher Salt and 1c Sugar with some Garlic and Onion powder. Seasoned with a mix of Garlic and Herbs.

Had no Lump so used some KF in the Egg, Fired up the Chimney starter with some left over Lump and KF. Off to Wally World for some Lump today!!!

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Weighted down the chicken with a plastic paper plate holder and a stone.

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Ran the Egg at about 390º Dome temp.

Picture015.jpg

Thighs came out very juicy, skin was nasty. I should have crisped it up over some hot coals but got lazy.

Picture031.jpg

Cooked these Indirect for over an hour, they were pretty big pieces.

Picture040.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Been meaning to ask for a long time, are my pictures too big? I have a 20" monitor and they look fine to me...

Pics look great!!!

How did the kingsford charcoal work out for you?

I do most of my cooks as relatively quick cooks (less than 1.5 hours) at 350-400 degrees on my large BGE. I was wondering if using charcoal briquettes might be a simpler (and cheaper) way to do these types of cooks. I would still use lump for any low and slow and for when I need a high heat sear like steaks.

How was the ash production? Manageable?

I know your're not supposed to use briquettes on the egg, but I've heard of people using it without too many issues.

Thanks!

You can use any type of charcoal in the BGE (except Matchlight of course). The issue is ash production. Lump produces very little ash while Kingsford produces a ton. If you dont mind cleaning the ashes out every time then go ahead and use K. I trend toward lazy on that issue so I usually use lump. Either way any type of charcoal is fine for a BGE.

They look good even if the skin was nasty. I have never used anything other than lump in my egg, Cleaning it is a pain in the arse! Nice Chicken.

Nice work Pork Smoker, that skin thing never bothered me before I got here. I would eat those.

You can use any type of charcoal in the BGE (except Matchlight of course). The issue is ash production. Lump produces very little ash while Kingsford produces a ton. If you dont mind cleaning the ashes out every time then go ahead and use K. I trend toward lazy on that issue so I usually use lump. Either way any type of charcoal is fine for a BGE.

Thanks! I guess the question is then, how much more ash do you get from briquettes? 2x, 3x, 5x...10x??

I normally clean out the ash in my egg after every use, so may not matter too much, but I was curious how much ash would be produced by the briquettes vs lump.

Thanks

Thanks, Midnight Smoke, I have trouble brining chicken. I will take a lesson from what you posted and try it again. :-D

Why do you say the skins were nasty? They look pretty good from here. Nice pictures and the right size.

Thanks! I guess the question is then, how much more ash do you get from briquettes? 2x, 3x, 5x...10x??

I normally clean out the ash in my egg after every use, so may not matter too much, but I was curious how much ash would be produced by the briquettes vs lump. Thanks

I would say almost 10x

Why do you say the skins were nasty? They look pretty good from here. Nice pictures and the right size.

Thanks, The skin was just real rubbery, not pleasant at all. Too bad cause it had a good flavor.

Looks great, Terry!

I have about 20 bags of Kingsford and when I'm out of lump, I'll throw that into my Oval. It's always more work cleaning it out, but works fine.

Back