• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Who makes the best Jerky Seasoning?

bbqpitstopUT

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm planning on making a bunch of jerky in the next week or so and I don't know which seasoning or brine I want to use. Which Jerky seasonings do you like best? I've used Hi Mountain in the past and I like it, but I'm just wondering if there is something better out there that I'm unaware of.

I use this per 1 lb of sliced beer, or deer I dont use the liquid smoke as I smoke it
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 pound venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips

Directions

Whisk together the sugar, black pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, lemon juice, liquid smoke, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix the venison a few times as it marinates to ensure even absorption of the marinade.
Remove the venison strips from the marinade and squeeze off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Arrange the venison on the racks of a food dehydrator so that it does not overlap.
Dry the venison on High until dry but still pliable, about 4 hours. The jerky should bend without breaking. Store the jerky in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.

I am sure the Brethren can provide you with a whole bunch of recipes that are superior to any commercial product.
John

Chef Country posted while I was typing. Just starts to prove my point!
John

I use this per 1 lb of sliced beer, or deer I dont use the liquid smoke as I smoke it
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 pound venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips

Directions

Whisk together the sugar, black pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, lemon juice, liquid smoke, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix the venison a few times as it marinates to ensure even absorption of the marinade.
Remove the venison strips from the marinade and squeeze off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Arrange the venison on the racks of a food dehydrator so that it does not overlap.
Dry the venison on High until dry but still pliable, about 4 hours. The jerky should bend without breaking. Store the jerky in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.

You must be using that really stout dark beer.

But seriously you can make a really good jerky marinade yourself using some recipes found on this site and adjust them to your liking. I seem to always want more black pepper or red pepper than most jerky recipes.
I have always dehydrated with liquid smoke, but I am looking forward to smoking and drying a batch soon.

I'm planning on making a bunch of jerky in the next week or so and I don't know which seasoning or brine I want to use. Which Jerky seasonings do you like best? I've used Hi Mountain in the past and I like it, but I'm just wondering if there is something better out there that I'm unaware of.

Overall, I vote for the HM seasoning.

I use my regular rub...however the best comercial rub I have seen comes from the sausage maker in Buffalo, ny..he has a web page...awesome stuff...

I love jerk and made my own for a decade....but Walkerwood kicks my arse.
Seriously.:icon_blush:

Whatever recipe I use, I add an extra measure of Cayenne for extra kick.

I generally go the easy way, and Marinate in Moore's then add seasoning and Cayenne. Toss it in a dehydrator and resist the temptation
of getting into it till it's ready.
Jerky is my favorite 'Road Trip' snack.

Last edited:
I've found the best jerky seasoning is the one you make yourself. Research some recipes. You will find that many of them use the same ingredients with a few modifications to give it a little heat or sweet or both. The best part is that you can tweak it to your liking.

Check out/google "Old Dave-Pos farm" he is a blogger that does a lot of smoking/BBQing that shares his recipes and some of them are really outstanding. I tweaked his jerky recipe to make one to my liking, but he helped get me going in the right direction.

Here's the link:
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/?m=0

Back