MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

My father always par-boiled his ribs before he put them on the Weber kettle and smoked them, he said it got rid of the fat. A lot has changed since those days, I never got into the whole par-boiling thing.

Most chain restaurants that serve ribs par-boil to tenderize and de-fat. I always figured if you cooked them low and slow on the grill long enough the heat would take care of the fat on the ribs.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
Stevesonfire!
On the road to being a farker

Okay...okay, if you must. Please post a pic of the dearly departed ribs after the massacre..... :)

Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #18
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
Place your ribs on your prep table and whisper "boiling water", even this may be too long.
I did that and my freshly trimmed St. Louis's literally jumped back into their cryopack. Could swear I heard a faint whimper?

To funny CH!
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Oh - and make sure you put some beer in your boiling water - I hear it gives the ribs a nice smoky flavor!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
BEFORE THE ADVENT of armchair internet "know it alls" (including me) on the subject of bbq the process of simmering ribs in a flavorful broth, not water (thereby negating the whole "when you boil meat in liquid the flavor merely goes out of the meat and into the water" quote) many of our traditionalist created wonderful q by first boiling it in a flavorful broth. Some of the best loinbacks I have ever had anywhere was simmered in a broth of beer and apple cider and spices then smoked slow for a couple of hours as the broth the ribs simmered in got peppers and onions added then was reduced into and incredible base for a sauce. This was a low country recipe.

Two things I know boiling and simmering are minutely different (yet arguably the same as foiling) but I will not go off on some dumb assed discussion of how its even relevant here. There is such a taboo about it its stupid. Last, if you tasted these ribs you would say the same thing I did... when I ate them and saw the process. "Well Bill and Barb, I guess that is why boiling is illegal."

Here is one of the first good discussions (everyone was thoughtful on the subject) on the taboo of boiling meats -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=boiling+taboo
Sorry for the triple post. This thread is great!

Pop - the difference though is you are a wealth of knowledge and great advice. I have referenced you many a time and in practice your advice is spot on...now where is the "kiss a$$" emoticon?

Seriously Pop, thanks for the time you put into this forum!

Anyway, parboiling in a rich broth as you say would most certainly make for some very tasty ribs if time was an issue. Doing the same though in just water turns the pork into a grey flavorless mushy mess. There is a guy here in town that has his own place and parboils before going to the smoker...you bite into one of his ribs (which look great) and if ordered sans sauce they taste literally like water which I guess means they taste like nothing.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
BEFORE THE ADVENT of armchair internet "know it alls" (including me) on the subject of bbq the process of simmering ribs in a flavorful broth, not water (thereby negating the whole "when you boil meat in liquid the flavor merely goes out of the meat and into the water" quote) many of our traditionalist created wonderful q by first boiling it in a flavorful broth. Some of the best loinbacks I have ever had anywhere was simmered in a broth of beer and apple cider and spices then smoked slow for a couple of hours as the broth the ribs simmered in got peppers and onions added then was reduced into and incredible base for a sauce. This was a low country recipe.

Two things I know boiling and simmering are minutely different (yet arguably the same as foiling) but I will not go off on some dumb assed discussion of how its even relevant here. There is such a taboo about it its stupid. Last, if you tasted these ribs you would say the same thing I did... when I ate them and saw the process. "Well Bill and Barb, I guess that is why boiling is illegal."

Here is one of the first good discussions (everyone was thoughtful on the subject) on the taboo of boiling meats -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=boiling+taboo
I am in complete agreement. If you talk with old-timers about cooking ribs, this is what was done, and why not. It makes sense, especially when you're in a hurry to put a meal on the table. It's only recently that we really had the luxury of time to spend all day doing what we do. There are MANY recipes. Had them many times and I'm certainly not going to lie and tell my grandma that her ribs suck when obviously they don't. I can appreciate good food, whether it's BBQed or not. There are many recipes, the simplest is to boil for an hour and then throw it on the grill with some sauce. One typical in Spain (garlic ribs), is to boil riblets (cut ribs) with just enough water to cover them and boil dry, then add olive oil, crushed garlic and parsley. Thousands of variations. Haven't done them this way in years, but certainly wouldn't turn them down.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
kcchiefdav

I've had some pretty good chinese spare ribs that were boiled (as per the waitress). So I, too, think that a person could make some very nice ribs by boiling first provided that the boiling liquid is delicious.
kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

I par boiled my ribs for years. I am trying to purify my soul after joining this site and learn low and slow. My wife stills prefers by far my par boiled.

I boil the ribs for 20-25 minutes in onion, garlic, oregano and caraway seed. I get them just cooked. Finish on the grill for about 45 minutes even adding a chunk of wood for smoke. They do come out very moist and tasty.

Now I recently did some rib tips indirect, no boiling, at about 300 with some hickory and cherry and they came out very good.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
GeauxBigRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I like sizzlers ribs and i imagine theres is boiled. So how would you bbq spares or BB's on an offset then? Or rather indirectly like what i do on my UDS.

i was thinking only a 15 minute boil after the roast, not before. just gonna roast em naked. maybe some salt and pepper.

This one has me confused....

You want to boil them after the roast?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Oh - and make sure you put some beer in your boiling water - I hear it gives the ribs a nice smoky flavor!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Sorry to disagree, but for a true smoky flavor ya gotta use liquid smoke. Beer is for drinkin'
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #26
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i wanna try it out. Just so i can see the difference between the two. Im going to boil then rotisserie the rest of the time.

How long do i boil them? thanx

Matt
After you boil the ribs save the water all the flavor will be in the water. I say don't do it.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I say go for it and see if you like them.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I don't boil but some of the best ribs I've made were grilled not smoked. It's a whole different taste.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxBigRed View Post
This one has me confused....

You want to boil them after the roast?
Well, Thats how my fav rib joint does em. I asked him and this is exactly what he said..

"after i roast them, i put them in a "steam chamber" and that makes them more tender and keeps them moist so they wont dry out."

I took the steam chamber to be some sort of device that almost boils them or adds water to em.

Maybe ill just boil for 20 min then roast..

Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter. Even if i dont use smoke, they come out tasting weird. So im gonna try something new and see how i like em.

thanx

Matt

Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I don't boil but some of the best ribs I've made were grilled not smoked. It's a whole different taste.
Interesting. I need you to teach me. haha. I SUCK at low and slow for ribs.

Tags
simmering traditionally