Transporting a wsm ( kettle w/ cajun bandit mod ) in a Envoy?

D

Derek

Hi everyone.

Got a transport question?

Since the wsm Cajun Bandit is the same size and wieght of the wsm I was wondering if it's ok to power wash on the lightess setting?

I want to be able to haul the unit in the back of the Envoy, or the camper but I don't want ash all over the place.

How do you guys do yours? ( I know Larry from GLBBQA ) JUST PUT'S HIS WSM in the back of his pickup truck.

but I really want to make sure the ash will not get all over specially in my little nephews eyes, if it got knocked over by a sharp corner?

i clean out all the ash after every cook...usually. i have a 22 WSM, and a word of caution, it takes ALOT of space in the back of my xterra. BARELY fit all the gear, coolers, etc to get to the comp. took about 3 hours to get it right and still ahd to tie our tables, chair and EZ up on the roof. unneeded stress before and during the comp thinking about it. do yourself a favor, if you can, rent a little uhaul hitch trailer.

i clean out all the ash after every cook...usually. i have a 22 WSM, and a word of caution, it takes ALOT of space in the back of my xterra. BARELY fit all the gear, coolers, etc to get to the comp. took about 3 hours to get it right and still ahd to tie our tables, chair and EZ up on the roof. unneeded stress before and during the comp thinking about it. do yourself a favor, if you can, rent a little uhaul hitch trailer.
Thank you Boogie, but I have the coolers, and all that gear in this.

870289127_oE5dx-L.jpg
, That's where most of the gear will go, except for the lump coal & the smoker. The smoker will go in back of the truck.

By the way do you keep your smoker whole or do you break it down when you travel?

Because the wsm comes apart in 3 sections.

I agree with the uhaul route. I have had the same issue packing an open bed truck. obviously cleaning out the ash before transport is the only option. spraying the bottom out with a hose will serve that purpose nicely. i don't worry about maintaining any seasoning that may have built up in the very bottom of our wsm - just the cylinder and top - most of it burns off anyway that low in the cooker. i will only lightly spray off the inside top when the seasoning starts to flake off every so often.

Didn't see what your all ready pulling until I clicked post and the page refreshed. Again, spray or wipe out the bottom of ash and you won't have any problems.

I think you'll have to break it down just to fit it int the back on an Envoy. The assembled Cajun Kettle thingy would be too tall. I would put the base in with all of the grates and then put the lid on it, and then carry the mid section separately. Lay down a trap to catch any stuff that shakes loose along the way. You can wash it before the comp, but I doubt there will be a good place to do so at the comp for the trip home.

Thank you guys, I'll probable do that.

Thank you for all the advice...

I hauled my WSM and kettle around to some contests many years ago in the backseat of my car. Bagged all the pieces in big yellow trash bags and reassembled on arrival. Dumped and brushed out all the ash when done and rebagged for the trip home.

Thanks guys.

By the way Chris from c&c Grilling co just emailed me back with my tracking number, and he say's they're assembling the legs of the smoker now.

Woohoo.

Back