MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #4186
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

It doesn't have the damper or handel on it yet.

My score of a fireplace, $20 at a garage sale, and my smokey joe for $2.00 at another sale.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #4187
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Here it is on the yet to be drilled and cut SS drum, along with a future fire box for an offset I am collecting parts for. If this SS UDS works out like everybody says it does I may X the offset.

Paul B

Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #4188
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Paul, can you rotate that picture 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Hurts my neck as is.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #4189
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Just learned how to post pics, and now you want me to twist them????

I'll try harder next time........

Paul B

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #4190
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

OK try this out:

Paul B

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #4191
Ksmoker1
Full Fledged Farker

Hey all, finished my build and trying to rock my second smoke tonight. I am using a weber lid that seems to just fit the drum. I am having problems staying under 250. Could be either the lid fit or the cooking grate bolt fit (need gasket caulk?). Intakes are nipples braised to barrel and 3 are capped with one ball valve almost shut. Is this a common mistake/problem? Any thoughts?
Will my pork shoulder be alright at 250 through the cook?
Despite frustration still having fun.
Ksmoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #4192
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Fine running at 250 doubt the air around the bolts is an issue. How big was your fire to start? You could try foil around the top lip to see if that helps
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #4193
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

My first post so please be gentle. I'm only to post # 2371, page # 159 by my monitor.

I'm convinced to build a UDS. Finding the drum is the thing of course. I'm at the end of the road in the NWT Canada. I've located reconditioned drums in Calgary Alberta, unpainted or lined, for a fair amount then shipping to here is another 132$. Total cost is about 250$ + or - a bit.

I can get fuel barrels here in town for next to nothing. Diesel fuel or gas of various types. If I were to do a "night glow" on a drum for a few hours (where the metal is so hot it glows like a hot air balloon fired up at night) and do that say Friday night and Saturday night and brush it out with a coil on Sunday. Would that be sufficient and safe for cooking on?

The next question is temperatures here are ... well it's winter 8 months of the year. How well will a UDS handle -40C? H20loo has already given me some advice with his blanket thermalshield wrap and one heck of an idea for a major build down the road, but any advice on using a UDS in -30C to -45C weather would be appreciated.

I grill now all year round. Charcoal or LPG and I've done smoked ribs etc down to -30C in a kettle over 6 hours, hard as hell to maintain temperatures but it is doable. So can I get the UDS hot enough to overcome -40 for 8 hours? Consistency is the key. Don't lift the LID.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #4194
Ksmoker1
Full Fledged Farker

I did just foil it up. Seems about the same. I guess I'll wait it out and see if it drops or if I have leaks around the intakes etc. I think fireplace gasket may be in need around the lid. I only have the weber lid and it's a little off. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #4195
Ksmoker1
Full Fledged Farker

foil working, dropped to 240. I think we have our culprit! My old char griller was laughing at me, but who's laughing now?!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #4196
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Paul, you did good on the pic...doesn't hurt my neck now. Extremely nice work there brother!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #4197
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

[/QUOTE]
Beautiful looking drum! Shiny!
The chimney cap you have sitting on the compressor tank looks very familiar. I've got the same one sitting in a box and not doing it's job for about 9 years. Glad I'm not alone.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #4198
chickenskinmusic
Got Wood.

Default Usd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
OK try this out:

Paul B
Now this is what I call a SUPER USD.
chickenskinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #4199
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmoker1 View Post
foil working, dropped to 240. I think we have our culprit! My old char griller was laughing at me, but who's laughing now?!

When you say you have a problem keeping the temp down, how do you have your inlet. Is it open all the way, how big is it? how many?

I have a problem to get mine over 250 without opening more holes at the bottom or leaving the top off for a bit. I have 4 3/4 inch holes and one of them has the ball valve and usually(no wind) I have it almost fully open and I hold a temp at about 225. sometimes I do have to open another about a 1/4 or so to maintain temp.

Also my fire ring is made with a 18 inch weber grill and expanded metal so it fairly big, I use just a chimmy starter to start it. It too use a weber top and have smoke coming out the sides of it. I thought I had to use tinfoil a couple times but found out that I had alot of ash at the bottom blocking air flow.

If you posted any of this before, disregard my questions lol, im drunk and going to bed. just finished some Canadian bacon for a coworker sliced and vacuum sealed, ready for tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #4200
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Here it is on the yet to be drilled and cut SS drum, along with a future fire box for an offset I am collecting parts for. If this SS UDS works out like everybody says it does I may X the offset.

Paul B

That is an awesome looking drum. Now you got me thinking I need to re-do my UDS in stainless. Great, just what I needed, another project.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker