Flat Ends? Texas Heresy!

Funky D

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
From the monster cook this past weekend, I introduced several people to the love that is proper burnt ends. Dunno how many people actually give them a shot of sauce before returning to the smoke, but I have the pan a ladle and a half, just enough to give that bark an extra little toughness, and they went over like gangbusters.

Granted, I'm born and raised in Chicago, but have been in Texas long enough to count myself among their ranks, but I still haven't developed the true love of sliced brisket. It's good, but still bringing up the rear behind ribs and pulled pork on my BBQ favorites. Now these burnt ends... they are in heavy contention for top billing!

I saw there are a few places in Carolina that specialize in burnt ends, to the point they are making them out of the flat as well. Is there some secret to doing this? I'd like to turn my entire next brisket into these treasures, but am not sure if the technique needs to be modified. There's such a big difference between fat content and texture between point and flat...

What does any wise cook do? CONSULT THE BRETHREN. *grin*

Moisture seems to help a lot. When panning try adding a little beef broth with the suace and cook until tender. I cook mainly flats and make burnt ends all the time using the above mentioned method. Good luck. Steve.

Moisture seems to help a lot. When panning try adding a little beef broth with the suace and cook until tender. I cook mainly flats and make burnt ends all the time using the above mentioned method. Good luck. Steve.

Thanks Steve... do ya think I need to pan the flat ends and the point ends separately, to prevent the added moisture from turning the point to mush?

Burnt ends from the flat? I guess you could do it, but I can't imagine it being as good.

That was an early post for me, sorry about the spelling. The flats I use I pretrim to get closer to fitting in a turn in box. So I get to use more scrap that's leaner than the point. I don't like wasting and it's been called cook's bites, so panned they get. I will say that this is one time the heat goes down to 230 to 250. Less than my normal cooking temps, which would be around 275. No I would mix all together and I'm not saying drown them. Just enough to make moist. You could pull the point types early if needed. Points, for me are easier to work with.I think the extra fat and grain make a more forgiving texture if you will. And I do think they( point type) taste better. My point is not toss flat scraps. As we all know there are several ways to get the same result when cooking. It works for me. Steve.

Back