MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Help!

Saved my 100th post for something special.

OKAY, here we go. Just found out that there is a BBQ competition at our local county fair. The entry form says "basic KCBS rules". I assume that means it's not sanctioned and it's jungle rules with KCBS as a guidline. No prob with that. The categories are not what you would expect. Chicken,Ribs,Pork Loin,Beef Roast. I assume this is midwest modified for the local taste. I've not entered a competition before but am considering this one. It's 6 miles away,the entry fee is reasonable ($40.00 per category or $120.00 for all 4). I'm a 1 man team with help from the OL and son. Any help with ideas for Pork Loin and Beef roast would be much appreciated. PM me or my email is [email protected] .

Thank You for the help,
Kevin

Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Help!

Yeah, that's modified! :D

I know we can help with pork loin and Beef Roast!

I know we have guidance for the loins - I'm sure the guys will chime in soon.

We can help better if we know what the schedule will be: what time do you checkin and setup, what time is meat inspection, can you cook overnight or are you limited to a set amount of time, etc.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Are there limits on what can be called a beef roast? A nice prime rib based on Phil's recipe would be great, but expensive...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
Kevin

Set up is noon to 8:00 pm friday July 29th with meeting at 8:00 pm. Haven't got all the specifics on meat inspection,turn in times etc. Called the organizer today and got his answering machine. Don't know if you are allowed to cook overnight. I've got until July 15th to decide on what categories to enter and turn in registration. I'll post again when I get more info.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Relax, let the advice come to you and soak it up. You will do well, and enjoy yourself.

You about to get bit by the competion bug.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

My .02.......

Make sure you don't go over 150 internal temp on that Pork Loin before you pull it and make sure you wrap it and let it rest at least 30 minutes before you slice it for judging. If you're cooking between 225-250 it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours to cook it.

If you make your own sauces and rubs, see if they've got a contest for it and enter your own stuff. Never know, you might win it.

Take a camera with you and take pics of your turn-in stuff. Not just to show us back here but to keep for your own. If you do real good in a category, you don't want to have to try and remember how you dressed up your box. Consequently, if you do bad in a category, you want to be able to see what didn't work.

I'm planning on attending a KCBS event here locally in Sept. I've looked all over for Checklists and the sort and here's what I finally came up with. About a month before the event, I'm going to camp out in the backyard and have everything with me that I'm planning on taking to the event. I think that will be the best way to prep for this thing. Sounds like you're kinda close on time though. It would sure be a good way to figure out what you'll need though. But being just 6 miles from home and having someone there to make a run back to the house should help in case you forget something. Here's one of the checklists I found: http://www.novia.net/~cedmunds/gobs/chklist.htm

Also, try to find out if they're using KCBS judges or local "dignitaries/celebrities". I remember a non-sanctioned event I cooked in one time that used local dignitaries. I cooked the same ribs that I always do and the fella right next to me cooked his and then slopped them down with what looked like French Dressing. I can't remember how many teams competed but his ribs won and I was somewhere below the middle of the pack. I figured if I ever did that competition again, I would just boil my ribs and dip them in Heinz 57 or something....heheheheheheh. They wouldn't know the difference.

Good luck!

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Kevin

Finaly got in touch with the organizers. Set up is friday with turn ins starting at noon saturday. I asked if the judges were certified and was told 3 were and the rest local, so I guess it's sort of jungle rules. I had kind of decided to just go watch instead of entering but as I asked a few more questions I changed my mind. There was a misprint in the entry form and the beef category is brisket, not roast. The pork loin still confuses me, but hey, when in Rome.

This is their first try at a competion. KCBS reccomended at least 3 contests before doing sanctioned. The local county fair board has been discussing this with other Minnesota fair boards. They are hoping to get enough participants to start qualifying county fair winners for a state fair competition. Obviously a lot of work to be done for this all to happen. It got me interested though. I've decided to enter even though my experience is limited. Kind of cool to be part of the inaugural event of what could become something someday. Maybe become a certified judge next winter and be able to help them get this thing going.

Now I just gotta work on that pork loin.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It will all help.
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Kevin,

This is the one you need to do then. The best fun I ever had while cooking MIM events were the first timers. The amount of competitors is usually lower and you get a chance to meet everybody. You also have a much better shot at a ribbon/trophy/prize money.

And on the pork loin, they may have meant pork shoulder. I'd get clarification before I showed up with the wrong thing.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
chad

Quote:
And on the pork loin, they may have meant pork shoulder. I'd get clarification before I showed up with the wrong thing.
Heck, cook both! You'll have the cooker going for the brisket anyway!! A little pulled pork never hurt anyone. :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
Kevin

Dave,
I like that plan. Pork butt is my favorite anyway. It will not go to waste if it's not turned in. Got lot's of local folks pushing me to go for it, so here we go.

rbinms33, Thanks for the encouragement. That was my thought also. New event. First timer. Who cares where I place. Getting a serious competion going in Blue Earth, Minnesota (my town) would be pretty darn cool. I'm more excited about gettin this thing off the ground than winning anyway. But I will dang sure put my best effort forward. Did a practice cook of chicken thighs tonight and got 2 thumbs up from my judges (Bride and Son).

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
chad

Practice but don't start making massive changes this close to the date!

Cook the way you've been cooking - ask all the questions you want and we'll answer as best we know how.

If you're garnishing - get 2 heads of leafy green lettuce per turn in box! Clean it before you go and wrap in damp paper towels and store in a cooler where it won't get bruised up!! You don't want to be messing with lettuce just before turnin!!

Don't change your flavor profile for the competition - if you're happy with it at home then use it - if you want to do changes plan that for the "next" competition!!