MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

Default BBQ Classes..

been scanning over some of the threads about dates and such. A lot of folks mention them.. My question is this: Are the weekend classes (which are taught by just about every winning bbq team) worth the trip? most are fri-sun. for about $750. We were going to Vegas for the 40th b-day but our partners in crime, the other 40 year old bday boy lost his job and the trip money is now rent. so,... do i book me a weekend class..or..?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I think you can find classes for less than $750! I took Scottie's last year for something like $500 or $550. As to whether or not it's worth the time or money - that's for you to decide. I probably wouldn't spend rent money on a class. However, if you are going to compete regularly then it's a great investment. I have won back all the money I spent on classes, and then some. The way I see it the cost of the class = the cost of a local comp. Take one comp off your list and take the class. You'll be glad you did. And remember, most of the folks you will be competing against have taken a class - even if they say they haven't ;) May as well be on an even playing field.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I tookMyron's last week, I learned a few things not sure if they will help me. All in all it was worth it to me because I wanted to learn how to cook whole hogs. From a competition stand point the class would have been way more worth it had I taken it about 3 years ago instead of now.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Nothing is a sure-thing with bbq contests, but the majority of guys who have taken my class have gone on to pay for the cost of it within their first contest or two. It's probably the same for some of the other classes out there. Just depends on what your bbq goals are as to whether or not you take one. Mine's Fri-Sat and $500.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

I had been a backyard cook for many years,got the comp bug and took Myron's class and it took that backyard level up to comp level,when we got back we practiced for 8 weeks before our first comp(timing,fire control,sauces dialed in)then took RGC first time out,so yes it is very worth it IMO!
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
roastntoast
On the road to being a farker

Todd From Plowboys is Coming to Windsor Ontario Feb.26-27 and the class is only $350.00 . Check it out http://canada2011.PlowboysBBQ.com . We still have room for ya. Fly in to Detroit and 20 minutes your in Windsor. Just need a passport
roastntoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone do any classes in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmaster View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone do any classes in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area?
ique?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
I had been a backyard cook for many years,got the comp bug and took Myron's class and it took that backyard level up to comp level,when we got back we practiced for 8 weeks before our first comp(timing,fire control,sauces dialed in)then took RGC first time out,so yes it is very worth it IMO!

Disclaimer *
Your results may vary :)

Going to competition
spending $1000 and getting your
behind handed to you is your other choice

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Nothing is a sure-thing with bbq contests, but the majority of guys who have taken my class have gone on to pay for the cost of it within their first contest or two. It's probably the same for some of the other classes out there. Just depends on what your bbq goals are as to whether or not you take one. Mine's Fri-Sat and $500.

This is what we won on the first comp after taking Rod and Johnny's class... Now I'll be the frist to admit that it was a small, non-KCBS event, but we did win against a couple of heavy hitters...

Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mad about Que,
Thanks for the thread - good question. Good responses.
Jeff, you ready to sell that cart yet?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmaster View Post
I found this on a different thread:
Originally Posted by ique
I'll be teaching a BBQ Comp class at BBQ Guru headquarters in Warminster, Pa on March 26-27!

The IQUE Competition BBQ Class
2009 World Champion
2010 NEBS Team of the Year
2009, 2010 NEBS Chicken Team of the Year
2009, 2010 Mass State Champion
2010 NY State Champion
2x Salisbury, MD Grand Champ
Over 30 KCBS Grand Championships

We will follow the exact timeline of a real KCBS contest. No additional categories or activities, 100% focus on the KCBS 4. Will also feature and demonstrate BBQ Guru products.

Start Date: March 26th 5pm
End Date: March 27th 2pm

Space Limited
Please PM or email Chris: [email protected] for more details

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
This is what we won on the first comp after taking Rod and Johnny's class... Now I'll be the frist to admit that it was a small, non-KCBS event, but we did win against a couple of heavy hitters...

Damn that seems like 100 years ago dont it? I think I need to go do a dishwasher duty for some one this summer.
All I can say about the classes is that I have watched the friends of mine who took them make big strides in consistency and the three I am referring to all won their first GCs shortly afterward. I am hoping to get a class in this winter.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Disclaimer *
Your results may vary :)

Going to competition
spending $1000 and getting your
behind handed to you is your other choice
Been there, done that. Nothing like the thrill of waiting for a call when you know you cooked the best you have ever tasted then having your arse presented to you on a silver platter. I went 3 years competing going through this routine before taking Rod's class then went from one or two calls/year to, well let's just say, I made my money back and then some (no GC or RGC though). Competing in the Kansas City area is brutal where you always seem to be going head to head with quite a few of the heavy hitters every time out. I needed every advantage I could get.

A quality class is well worth your money and very advisable.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

We had somebody email us the other day and question our prices (we charge $750- 2 day class ). Our response was this: think of how many THOUSANDS of dollars we spent to develop our recipes and techniques and you are getting them for a mere $750. The average KCBS contest costs us $800 to enter, the average MBN costs us $1800 (whole hog, whole shoulders, ribs)- thats $2600 in costs to cook the meats we go over and show what we have won with over the years. I know most of the KCBS only guys charge anywhere from $400 to $600- still a dang good bargain if you are a competitor.

Classes are not just recipes, they are usually fun, informative and if nothing else give you a different way of looking at things. At BBQ contests, something ALWAYS goes off plan- the more broad experience you have about the product the better chance you have to fix the problem and still win. Most of the people doing classes have had to learn to adapt to many different issues- and you will always pick up a few nuggets from them when you take a class.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->