site set-up tips to share?

If you own a cell phone, you own an atomic clock.
Less is more.

My blackberry is one of the few phones that will let you set the time to whatever you want, I always sync it to the official clock just in case!
If it's slower than the official, I usually adj it so that its 30 sec fast if anything...

I will keep you posted on the article, got some great stuff here, thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.:p

Thanks for this!

One thing I plan on implementing is to STOP using wash tub type things as a means of transporting stuff to and from the comp... when it's time to set up the tubs, you have to empty all yer crap out of 'em and then the joint looks like a mess (not to mention it sucks to try and find the things you need then)
I plan on getting some 3 drawer plastic carts and giving everything a permenant home, that way set up and break down are quicker and smoother. Also, items can actually be put away when finished being used instead of just tossing somewhere to the side.

Something I've also been bad at is having to pack too much stuff from the kitchen before leaving.
I'll be getting duplicates of everything, that way there's no robbing the favorite tongs or whatever from the kitchen, there's already a pair in the comp gear... same goes for shakers, knives, baggies, foil, etc...

Bring small wooden blocks of different thicknesses to level out tables & tents... even if you're cooking in a parking lot, you'll end up being the guy with the busted up asphalt and a rocky table and a tent pullin some 3 wheel motion. Hopefully you've got the sick beats and metal flake paint to pull it off and still look cool. :cool:
Use a wood boring bit to make a slight impression in the block on 1 side so that the table leg/tent leg has something to sit in and won't just slide off the block.

Last edited:
Instead of constantly looking up at the clock I also use a "audio clock" by that I mean I play "Elected" by Alice Cooper which is about 4:20 long. I have played it so much that I know when the song is about 1/2 way done or getting close to the end. And it has become sort of a subconscious clock where you know exactly how much time you have without looking at the clock.:confused: It works for me!

Hey George I just did my first comp ever at Easton (18th overall ,7thplace pork) Yea Im happy LOL. YOur book was a big help in that direction. I left friday morning with five gallons of hot water in a drinking cooler and it was still hot when I got home sat night , Thanks for that tip.
One good thing I did was to have enough table space so that every thing I needed was On the tables or under it. No walking back and forth to the truck or trailer looking for stuff.
Looking forward to reading your article.. Thanks again!!!
BoB

Another thing that helped me

I don't think this was mentioned but what has helped me more than anything is practicing in my driveway and doing it with how I would set up at a comp. This helped me get my layout down and organize what I needed and what I didn't. Observation of how other team set up and what they use. must have's to me are;
- coleman hot water heater
- table leg extensions
- Comfy chair (making sure the beer cooler is within reach)

But the most important thing to bring to a comp...patience and a sense of humor!

Head mounted lights. They make 'em for skiers. Ever try to peer into the back of your smoker at night while trying to mop something and hold a flashlight? Ya, I look like a coal miner, but I always have light where I need it and free hands.

If you can find it use a block of ice in place cubes or cruched last longer. Boots for your ez up.

I refill my wife's plastic water bottles with water and freeze them. I then use them for my comp meats. It is lots easier to unload the meat for inspection then return to the cooler. I also have a separate cooler just for the meats. I don't want to take a chance on getting raw chicken juice on my beer. On the plus side, I always have cold water when the damn things melt!

NUTZ

Just got the new Bullsheet today. George Hensler's got an article on how to set up your site. Check it out!

--frank in Wilson, NY

Just got the new Bullsheet today. George Hensler's got an article on how to set up your site. Check it out!

--frank in Wilson, NY

George started this thread and based the content from the thread on the article in the Bullsheet. Got mine today, good read. :clap2:

Back